Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

In Mitchell’s own words if you don’t win the flag it’s a failed season, so they failed. I don’t mind those words actually and he put it out there. They didn’t deserve to win that and Port should’ve won by 5-6 goals.
Hawthorn were gifted a few goals, and Port was the better team mostly.
Hawks finish 6th this year, which is higher than anyone expected.
Can see 2025 will be even better for them, maybe.

The most embarrassing thing about this is the old boys club from Hawthorn getting annoyed at it. They’re school yard bullies. Hodge, Lewis and Derm all claiming it was disgraceful. This is a football club that just had a massive racism scandal, with far worse things said about Clarkson (you want to talk about bullying?!), the old boys from Hawthorn said nothing about it. Derm famously whitesplained Aboriginal culture and condemned Adam Goodes war dance. Bunch of flogs and hypocrites. Making a mountain of a molehill

It was good to see Campbell Brown referenced the stinky umpiring being a huge contributor to why Hawthorn were as close as they were.

Geez Dermot is still really sore on SEN this morning
I loved it. Dermott is such a flog. So hearing him crap on and on how hard done by Hawthorn was and how evil Ken Hinkley was, cracks me up. He always talks like Hawthorn is the only club that chases flags and is never satisfied by failure. God, he's a w@nker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was good to see Campbell Brown referenced the stinky umpiring being a huge contributor to why Hawthorn were as close as they were.
3 of their first 4 goals were directly attributed to poor decisions or mistakes
They were nowhere near it early and that rub of the green got them into the game
Could barely get it past half forward for 1.5 quarters

One interesting thing to observe in all this was the person who took it the best was Ginnivan himself. Literally laughed it off.

I say this through gritted teeth because I can’t stand him.

It is the more “mature” people around him that have completely lost their shit and come off looking like petulant sooks. That includes the Hawforn media.

I understand all of that and the media culture is not ok and is another issue for another day.

But that said ken is a repeat offender in this area so i have little sympathy for him in this specific instance-he knew what the reaction would be when he did it and he did it anyway. While the position hes in is really difficult he clearly lacks self control.
As for scott i said at the time i wasnt a fan of his behaviour but it was in a far different context and he at least seems to have learnt from it.

Ken on the other hand was behaving like a 5 year old earlier this year on the sideline and clearly has learnt nothing from it.

I think because of their views for ken or against hawthorn too many people are failing to see the. bigger picture here.
As a parent of a child with autism and an intellectual disability who i cant risk taking to the football (despite how much he loves it) because of how other people behave i see exactly how important the macro issue is rather than the micro issue.

While how people behave at junior level is on them and this is a societal problem in terms of how we all behave. The fact is role models matter and the behaviour of so called role models like ken is a big part of what emboldens idiots in the suburbs to behave like tossers at junior footy. For that reason ken should be getting a very long suspension but he wont. The afl unfortunately lacks credibility and this filters down to the junior comps.

If some people realised how important that bigger issue is they would reflect on some of their posts here overnight and maybe change their view.

Well said. and as an extension of this, as it's repetitive peer behavior, we should look behind the culture Hinkley represents. Their fans are worse than Collingwoods, with an ingrained us against the world mentality.

In the moment, Ken is pandering to the crowd (I'm one with you), his players, and his own instinct to lash out. Consider the Ginni tweet was pinned in their rooms all week, and that's a sad reflection on their motivational values- and adds to Ken showing off to prove he was right to use it to inflame his playing group.

The point with me, having lip read the altercation, was that he kept backing up, not content with one quick slur. The inability to walk away either means he thought they didn't hear him the first time (enjoy your fight home), or his ego needed to add more when other Hawks got involved (enjoy your flight home, I'm ****ing flying out of here) and this was interspersed with the usual "Good game." The apology was anything but, with a quick back up of justification "sometimes we hand it back." in other words, my balls are bigger than yours. My grandson is a very promising junior player, and it's not the kind of behaviour, passed off as a joke, from coach or crowd I want him exposed too. Do better Port.

Last edited:
It was tight hot game last night. Port ramped up the pressure and won. Giants are the best pressure team in the comp and Brisbane lack in that space. Also Brisbane are more of a control team and giants are a chaos team that move it forward out of defense with speed. Giants play a finals brand on most metrics. I was looking forward to this one more regardless that winner will play Geelong.

Brisbane haven’t played GWS at Homebush for four years + lost to GWS twice this season.

Round 7: Greater Western Sydney 17.11 (113) beat Brisbane 8.11 (59) at Manuka Oval.

Round 22: Brisbane 8.16 (64) lost to Greater Western Sydney 13.4 (82) at the Gabba.

Lions’ goal accuracy of last four games 37.3%, is the worst in the competition.

Toby Greene had only four disposals against Lions in Rd22, the lowest of his 238 game career, as Lions’ backman Starcevich shut down Greene. Starcevich had 13 disposals + five marks.

GWS have big bodies in their MF, so Brisbane are under pressure.

It may depend upon which team had the tougher game last week. Lions -v- Carlton or Giant Bigans -v- Swans.

Port have beaten swans last 8 games including the last one by 112 points . Imagine Port win and are the team waiting in the GF and we after beating them by 14 goals still have to win to have a chance of playing them. Wow wee!

I loved it. Dermott is such a flog. So hearing him crap on and on how hard done by Hawthorn was and how evil Ken Hinkley was, cracks me up. He always talks like Hawthorn is the only club that chases flags and is never satisfied by failure. God, he's a w@nker.
I've never seen a bigger buffoon trying to masquerade as an intellectual before. It's hilarious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back