Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Typical school yard bullies. Can give it out but squeal like pathetic sooks when it comes back their way.
Exactly. The young hawks brigade have a lot of teeth for smart arses. As soon as someone gives t back to them they cry like babies. You just know Jack G was the kind of kid who bullied every kid at school because he could kick a footy, and he was allowed to get away with it for the same reason. Welcome to the real world son.

Unfortunately, he is representative of the general community. Otherwise he wouldn’t have a job. They give him the opportunity and platform to believe he is what he thinks he is.

Complete narcissist, loves the sound of his own voice. If you watched the self congratulatory Footy Show reflection through the week, he was asinine, laughing at his own violence.

In Mitchell’s own words if you don’t win the flag it’s a failed season, so they failed. I don’t mind those words actually and he put it out there. They didn’t deserve to win that and Port should’ve won by 5-6 goals.

Yeah, lots of coaches say that. It's not true. You still learn over the course of a season.

Maybe they didn't deserve to win - they almost did anyway. If Port were a serious club they would have won by 10 goals, let alone the 5 or 6 they should have won by.

It's not the "death of hokball" or any of the other comments about it.

Seeing Hawthorn lose is enjoyable, of course, but you'd be kidding yourself if you think they won't be back next year bigger and better.

Maybe it's just my contrarian instincts but I really feel like the only one who thinks:
1. Port were favourites going into the game and this was far from their "finest hour" (which they seem to have every other month)
2. It wasn't a "all time great final" but a fumbly, albeit high pressure, game between two sub-optimal sides.
3. Hokball is a myth and therefore didn't need to be brought undone.
It was fumbly. Partly pressure, but another reason why day games are better

Can we put all that discussion to bed now?

Change of pace, who's winning tonight?
LOL, I spent the morning catching up last night's post game posts. Some fired up posters. Hope we bring the same passion at the bounce next weekend. :smilev1:

Today, looking for another bruising physical game. :winkv1:

Probably barracking for Brisbane tonight.
But I do like GWS.

And I actually dont want to play GWS in a day game which I think the prelim will be.
I have felt for a few years now that they have the game to get us.

What Mitchell should have said in his press conference:

“Ginni is a big boy and can look after himself. He doesn’t need me to sit up here and defend him against big bad Kenny. Next question.”

Instead he went into outraged helicopter parent mode and felt that he needed to protect the poor lad. He is telling Ginnivan that he can do what he wants and doesn’t have to deal with his own mess.

Not the message I would have given.
Mitchell is in danger of taking the passenger seat here for sure. Once you cede authority it's hard to get it back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So were you agreeing with me? Ken was clearly wrong and should've behaved better and that's undeniable, but there's elements of hypocrisy in criticising his failure to be better and then not recognising Hawthorns behaviour.

Of all the behaviours that have occurred, Ken is most wrong. To not be silent after winning is unsportsmanlike and we view it as disrespectful to the opposition but to over celebrate when you kick goals dismisses your opponent, to dismiss an entire team by implying you'd already won is disrespectful too.

I'm not completely anti Hawthorns behaviour, there's entertainment to it, but if we are accepting this then they are also influencing junior footy behaviour, getting in opponents faces, over celebrating goals, it's all layered in not respecting your opponent. Not being respectful is what drives antisocial behaviour. Not having the ability to control your behaviour and being aware of how you are affecting others is antisocial.

If at junior levels kids are taught to be respectful to their opponents that's part of developing adults that don't then abuse from the sidelines.

I thought Sam Mitchell was quite measured in his press conference, I just think I there's a hypocrisy in thinking his Captains behaviour is good leadership (because he was defending his team, well wasn't Ken standing up for his?) I know, let the scoreboard do the talking but it's hypocritical?), and Ginnivans behaviour is acceptable because he is 21 but clearly implying Ken is completely out of line.

Again, Ken is most wrong but to criticise him for not being better and mature enough to handle the situation better whilst accepting the other, has elements of hypocrisy.

I think we're going to see more Hawthorn-esque behaviour across the league going forward.

The influence of US sports, online culture, online gaming culture (trash talk, banter, bravado etc) will all play into it.

We'll all go "kids these days, so disrespectful" but it'll just change slowly as it always does.

there's a hypocrisy in thinking his Captains behaviour is good leadership (because he was defending his team, well wasn't Ken standing up for his?)

Sicily was responding to Ken though. Ken instigated and is another "level" above Sicily in terms of how he should behave, never mind he's twice Sicily's age.

Sicily's a player and a captain. Ken's the public face of the Port Adelaide Football Club as an organisation.

Ken also gets plenty of opportunities to stick up for his team, including the post-match presser and other media opportunities.

Hah yeah, that's fair enough. Marshall seemed to cop a knee in a marking contest - wasn't massive but yeah just the right spot

Reading a few things, last year he suffered a concussion and comments are that it was a rather innocuous incident

Some have raised the question over the past 12 months if he may need to retire due to the repeated concussions

Be interesting to see what happens from here

Can we put all that discussion to bed now?

Change of pace, who's winning tonight?
I hope Brisbane because I think we've got their measure mentally.

I think GWS will get the win though and they know they can beat us.

An all Sydney grand final would be an interesting endeavour if it goes pear shaped for us.

I hope Brisbane because I think we've got their measure mentally.

I think GWS will get the win though and they know they can beat us.

An all Sydney grand final would be an interesting endeavour if it goes pear shaped for us.

The AFL would like an all Sydney grand final.

Let's hope Brisbane win as I have a bad feeling we get the ordinary umpire calls we received throughout most of the year.

If it hasn't been said over the last day while I haven't been on here...
Don't worry Hawks, beating Paer at home isn't for everybody 🤷

I love how all morning footy media on socials is acting like everyone wanted Hoks to win when I don't know any Geelong supporters who didn't have a giggle at last night's result.

Yeah, lots of coaches say that. It's not true. You still learn over the course of a season.

Maybe they didn't deserve to win - they almost did anyway. If Port were a serious club they would have won by 10 goals, let alone the 5 or 6 they should have won by.

It's not the "death of hokball" or any of the other comments about it.

Seeing Hawthorn lose is enjoyable, of course, but you'd be kidding yourself if you think they won't be back next year bigger and better.
Most coaches don’t say that…. It’s a flag or failed season. No way they say that. Success is not linear, hawks have a target on their back next year . Let’s see if they can create the enthusiasm, energy, fun and hype again that worked for them so well this year.

It’s a beautiful thing. Winding up Ginnivan, Sicily, Hodge and Lewis? Hinkley should be Time Person of the Year.
The perfect response form Kenny to Ginni would be to send Ginni 2 tickets for the game with the note
"Wanted you to keep your promise of seeing Heeney next week - so here are 2 tickets so you can watch from the stands"

Then sit back and watch the blinking lights lol

GO Catters

Yeah, I've seen what it's like when Richmond and Collingwood win the flag - and even Carlton fans carrying on like absolute muppets just for winning a final - and I realised it could be a lot worse than Hawthorn.
The difference between Hawks and the others is i respect Hawks even if i ****ing hate them the other nope no respect what so ever... Ok maybe a little respect toward Coll but only a little

Port have beaten swans last 8 games including the last one by 112 points . Imagine Port win and are the team waiting in the GF and we after beating them by 14 goals still have to win to have a chance of playing them. Wow wee!
Yeah unfortunately I reckon the Swans are going to make the look second rate. Would be good though

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back