Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, lots of coaches say that. It's not true. You still learn over the course of a season.

Maybe they didn't deserve to win - they almost did anyway. If Port were a serious club they would have won by 10 goals, let alone the 5 or 6 they should have won by.

It's not the "death of hokball" or any of the other comments about it.

Seeing Hawthorn lose is enjoyable, of course, but you'd be kidding yourself if you think they won't be back next year bigger and better.
This always seems to be the narrative when a team has shock good season.

They will have a tougher draw.
They will be hunted.
They may have injuries.
The forward line won’t continue to get cheap frees.
I can see them missing the 8 if things don’t go smoothly.

Why would you be nervous about the result?
We weren't going to be playing either next week.

Because we play who we'll play, and neither pending opponent has a wealth of experience playing at the MCG

But I really didn't want to see Hawthorn win last night - more so just sick of the media love fest

In the end, this is why criminals keep offending - punishments don’t exist, or are too weak. Anyone who advocates for them, gets shouted down as old fashioned or not with the times.
Truth.

I live in Canada and the justice system here is total bullshit. Way too much sympathy for criminals.

Guys get put on parole for violent crime all the time. True story here: The other day a dude came into the cbd with a machete and cut off someone's head. Cut someone else's hand off. Unprovoked. He had a history of dozens of crimes, but was left out on the streets on bail because "he's had a rough life."

🤮

It's almost undebatable to say Ken should have been the bigger person but it dismisses the elements of hypocrisy through all this.

Saying things like, Ken's 60 and his mouthing off at a 21 year old he should act his age etc is unfair. Even praising Sicily, who responded emotionally, but then at the same time saying Ken should know better...

Hawthorn are antagonizing and you should try and be better but it makes me a bit bitter that when someone gets sucked in to respond, the attitude of everyone turns straight to saying "that's really poor behaviour by Ken, he should act his age".

Port got upset about a comment that wasn't even directed at them. Port chose to make the comment about them and use it as motivation.

Ken's outburst was related to that comment.

Ken's the public face of the Port Adelaide Football Club.

Sicily responded to Ken's unexpected outburst, after the siren when things have usually cooled of, to protect his player.

It is really poor behaviour by Ken, who has form, who has greater responsibility for unimpeachable behaviour, and who should know better.

There's no real hypocrisy because the standards of expected behaviour are substantially different for the coach of a professional club (ie the face of the club), the captain of a club and a young player.

I think we're going to see more Hawthorn-esque behaviour across the league going forward.

The influence of US sports, online culture, online gaming culture (trash talk, banter, bravado etc) will all play into it.

We'll all go "kids these days, so disrespectful" but it'll just change slowly as it always does.

Sicily was responding to Ken though. Ken instigated and is another "level" above Sicily in terms of how he should behave, never mind he's twice Sicily's age.

Sicily's a player and a captain. Ken's the public face of the Port Adelaide Football Club as an organisation.

Ken also gets plenty of opportunities to stick up for his team, including the post-match presser and other media opportunities.
Yeah I agree, Ken is another level above and is the most wrong. Sicily is a level below and so a level below wrong.....or right...I'm not even sure anyone's right or wrong, I just don't think you can take a position saying Ken is definitely wrong and the rest are okay. It's all different levels of the same thing; behaving outside of set of traditional social norms, reacting emotionally, being disrespectful.

Yeah I agree, Ken is another level above and is the most wrong. Sicily is a level below and so a level below wrong.....or right...I'm not even sure anyone's right or wrong, I just don't think you can take a position saying Ken is definitely wrong and the rest are okay. It's all different levels of the same thing; behaving outside of set of traditional social norms, reacting emotionally, being disrespectful.

Yeah that's fair enough.

I would hope that a Geelong captain would stick up for a Geelong player if they were copping it from an opposition coach. More tactfully than Sicily did though

Because we play who we'll play, and neither pending opponent has a wealth of experience playing at the MCG

But I really didn't want to see Hawthorn win last night - more so just sick of the media love fest

Yeah i will be honest , just under 4 minutes to go , when Haw got within under a goal i turned it off - and looked up the result 10 minutes later on AFL Live scores

Moreso because i just thought it would be absolutely shattering for Pt Ade who had led allnight to have bloody Hawthorn ( and half of them look like bogans ) pinch this - and it would be most unpleasant to view

Thus quite delighted when i looked at the final score and Port had beaten them

I have absolutely no problem with Hinkley throwing Ginnivan's comment back at him, but he probably should've chosen another time and place.

And Sicily shouldn't have approached Hinkley - that just added fuel to the fire.

Meantime Ginnivan might learn that if you fail to walk the talk you're gonna be reminded.

Yep, Kenny wasn't respectful, and nor was Sicily, but the opening act was Ginnivan's disrespect.

He deliberately went there, and got burned.

Mountains and molehills when all is said and done though imo.

Yeah that's fair enough.

I would hope that a Geelong captain would stick up for a Geelong player if they were copping it from an opposition coach. More tactfully than Sicily did though
Yeah I agree. If I was hawthorn, I'd be right behind Sicily (I probably thought he was the one that carried it through a bit too long though. Whilst Ken started it, Sicily kept going once holding Breust and really made the cameras aware of it).
If I was Port, rightly or wrongly I would've taken offence to Ginnivans post too, and immaturely, would've wanted someone to say something to him. I know is not the right way to go about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

15 years ago the Ginni chatter would have gotten him a square up in play and his mouth woulg have been shut for him.

Now that cant happen - so the little shit gets to keep being a smart arse un abated.

Kenny and PA fire back once its over and fair enough. you give what you get.

no issue with it really - however... All of then should STFU when Bruest was getting chaired off and they should have left it alone there .

Kenny should know better to so his apology is fine was well.

But Lewis and Hodge getting warped over it... sit down you have retired.

GO Catters

Probably nervous at the slightest possibility we could face Hawthorn in the GF if both teams were to make us considering they were on the opposite side of the draw.
Finals are finals. You play whoever you get.
Admittedly I've never had an ill feeling towards Hawthorn.

Mitchells sniping of Gaz shit me in 08 but I was over that pretty quick. Had little to do with the hawks specifically.

Sicily's a hot head and a player who's been in the system 10 years.

Ken's been around for 40. They're both shit in their own way but Ken should be held to a higher standard.
To be fair after Ken’s initial sparring it was Sicily who went on with it and took away from Breusts celebration. This from a bloke happy to drop the knee into someone on the ground, while old mate Mitchell was tearing up like someone had been pinching him for the previous two hours 😢

In think it's worse than that. They'll win one before we do if ours isn't in the next couple year or two.
Not convinced. If they don’t do it in the next 2-3, similar to us losing Stewart, Danger & Jez they’ll be saying goodbye to Sicily, Barass and a few others. Lewis struggles to play, don’t think they’re crop of 25 and under are equal to ours it will come down to recruiting, development and coaching - Mitchell has come up with a game plan but let’s see how he goes as the hunted. Others will start drilling down on it over the off season, both copying and working out ways to play against, they’ll have a tougher draw and start getting to pushed down the draft order to boot. One can dream.

Yeah i will be honest , just under 4 minutes to go , when Haw got within under a goal i turned it off - and looked up the result 10 minutes later on AFL Live scores

Moreso because i just thought it would be absolutely shattering for Pt Ade who had led allnight to have bloody Hawthorn ( and half of them look like bogans ) pinch this - and it would be most unpleasant to view

Thus quite delighted when i looked at the final score and Port had beaten them

I kept an eye on when the coverage was meant to finish & checked in just before 10:15 when the next show was meant to start but there was still 4.5 minutes or so to go

At that time Port was 10(?) points up, or at least that Hawthorn needed to kick 2 goals - I then flipped over about 5 minutes later and there was still around 1.5 minutes to go and Port only up by 4 points, so just before the Sicily goal

Waited a few more minutes and turned back to hear the Port song

I didn't want to start watching and jinx the score so I kept finding other things to watch

15 years ago the Ginni chatter would have gotten him a square up in play and his mouth would have been shut for him.
I know those days were dirty, but there was something to be said about the code of men in those days. Imagine twenty years ago if a player made a comment like Ginnavin's in a newspaper and then had to front up against a Barry Hall or a Jonathan Brown the weekend after. No thanks.

One thing is for sure: young sides' rising up the ladder is rarely linear (i.e., they don't always get better each year). Just because the Hawks did well this year, they could drop back again next year even if they trade/draft well. We've seen this recently with Adelaide & Fremantle. Time will tell how the Hawks go in 2025.

Truth.

I live in Canada and the justice system here is total bullshit. Way too much sympathy for criminals.

Guys get put on parole for violent crime all the time. True story here: The other day a dude came into the cbd with a machete and cut off someone's head. Cut someone else's hand off. Unprovoked. He had a history of dozens of crimes, but was left out on the streets on bail because "he's had a rough life."

🤮
Welcome to Victoria 👋

One thing is for sure: young sides' rising up the ladder is rarely linear (i.e., they don't always get better each year). Just because the Hawks did well this year, they could drop back again next year even if they trade/draft well. We've seen this recently with Adelaide & Fremantle. Time will tell how the Hawks go in 2025.

They’ll be rubbish next year, and their “Wizard” will be a no body 👋

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back