Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Mitchell talks about how it's a player driven club and that he's just there to guide them - so it'll be interesting to see how he handles the increased media attention they'll now be receiving

It's also likely that the attention is going to be somewhat disproportionate to what they've actually achieved - the question then becomes, if they don't back up this year's heroics and struggle next year, is the extra scrutiny on Mitchell, the players or both?

This is an article from after last night's match that has been given a second chance for an audience this morning - not surprisingly it's been mocked.

But it's an example is the ego feeding from the media that we/they will be seeing - so does Mitchell have the ability to keep things in control & have the tough conversations when needed, or is that not part of the player driven/guidance coach mentality of the club?

Give me a spell 🤦🏻

I wonder how many times they called Clarkson on a Sunday??

The intensity of their outrage is amusing, given Clarkson's record of behaviour during his tenure there.
If clarko was there Sicily not wearing long sleeves 🤣

I kept an eye on when the coverage was meant to finish & checked in just before 10:15 when the next show was meant to start but there was still 4.5 minutes or so to go

At that time Port was 10(?) points up, or at least that Hawthorn needed to kick 2 goals - I then flipped over about 5 minutes later and there was still around 1.5 minutes to go and Port only up by 4 points, so just before the Sicily goal

Waited a few more minutes and turned back to hear the Port song

I didn't want to start watching and jinx the score so I kept finding other things to watch
Same

Re: your question in that post

Didn't Mitchell say something along the lines of having told the players 'the club is theirs' ?

On last night's post match coverage, before they went to Mitchell's press conference they were showing footage of Hawthorn's team meeting and when Mitchell had finished talking there was an all in group hug which including Frost & Day

There was no sound from within the rooms, just the commentators talking over the top including things like:
  • Frost & Day would have been disappointed to not be out there
  • you can see how close this playing group is
  • we've heard Mitchell talk about how this team is playing driven and his role is to provide guidance

They didn't really go into the context of that, but one would assume Mitchell & Co are the ones calling the shots in terms of selection, tactics, game day shit etc

But maybe it's about what happens outside of that - like when it comes to things like the post match on ground team selfies, Ginnivan & Watson celebrating with the crowd last week, or the social media antics etc that Mitchell has taken a step back and said you guys hold each other to account when it comes to your actions & behaviour

If that's close to what they mean, I'm not completely sold on it and seems like an excuse for Mitchell to wipe his hands of responsibility to an extent which I'm not sure is a good look for a senior coach

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This always seems to be the narrative when a team has shock good season.

They will have a tougher draw.
They will be hunted.
They may have injuries.
The forward line won’t continue to get cheap frees.
I can see them missing the 8 if things don’t go smoothly.
Expect a crackdown from the AFL in the off season off players throwing their head back trying to get a shot on goal. That will end 1/2 the hawks goals

One thing is for sure: young sides' rising up the ladder is rarely linear (i.e., they don't always get better each year). Just because the Hawks did well this year, they could drop back again next year even if they trade/draft well. We've seen this recently with Adelaide & Fremantle. Time will tell how the Hawks go in 2025.

I know it's taboo to say but they're actually not that young. Not old by any means but not young.

Their elimination final team was almost a full year older on average than their 2008 premiership team. They were also almost a full year older than Freo's elimination final winning team in 2022.

The big change this year was them getting back a bunch of mature players and those mature players all hitting career best form.

Frost, Impey, Amon, Chol, Hardwick, Meek, Nash, Scrimshaw, Morrison, Worpel and Moore all had career best years or very close. They're all 25+. Will they do the same or better next year?

They only had 1 more under 23 than us last week and I reckon Holmes, Bruhn, Neale, Dempsey, Humphries and O Henry contributed at least as much as Ginnivan, D'Ambrosio, Weddle, Ward, MacDonald, Dear and Watson.

One game too go before pre-lim week begins. Giants or Lions ? Who is going to W ? Form or preference ? A few injury concerns came out of it for PA, let's hope tonights game is a dogged match and goes into triple d/t.

Last edited:
On last night's post match coverage, before they went to Mitchell's press conference they were showing footage of Hawthorn's team meeting and when Mitchell had finished talking there was an all in group hug which including Frost & Day

There was no sound from within the rooms, just the commentators talking over the top including things like:
  • Frost & Day would have been disappointed to not be out there
  • you can see how close this playing group is
  • we've heard Mitchell talk about how this team is playing driven and his role is to provide guidance

They didn't really go into the context of that, but one would assume Mitchell & Co are the ones calling the shots in terms of selection, tactics, game day shit etc

But maybe it's about what happens outside of that - like when it comes to things like the post match on ground team selfies, Ginnivan & Watson celebrating with the crowd last week, or the social media antics etc that Mitchell has taken a step back and said you guys hold each other to account when it comes to your actions & behaviour

If that's close to what they mean, I'm not completely sold on it and seems like an excuse for Mitchell to wipe his hands of responsibility to an extent which I'm not sure is a good look for a senior coach
Mitchell is far too much of a control freak to let them have complete free reign.. Have a look at what has come out this year, his kicking work with Watson and the strict instructions that he is not to work with anyone else, flying over the country to talk to /court players from other clubs he wants to recruit
He has to control and run everything, he's played happy coach "letting the boys go" this year because they were basically playing with house money with no pressure or expectations, when those things come and players don't absolutely perform I don't expect him to allow any free thought or control from that fwd line crew... And given they've been let loose they also won't like being reigned in.
I think as exciting and fun as they have looked they are an absolute recipe for a spontaneous combustion quickly.. Lots of young egos, all who want to be the man and have the attention

Is it just my absolute hatred of Hawthorn speaking... Probably, but I still can see it coming

Also I had the unique view of not watching the game, seeing the Hinkley stuff in real time and only seeing it after the fact this morning, what an absolutely overblown bit of nonsense, Ken was clearly making a smart arse comment, is it a good look for a senior coach, probably not tbh
But it wasn't near as bad as all Mitchell's mates in the media are crying about, and don't get me started on it disrespecting Bruest.. The person that disrespected Bruest the most was Sicily as he poured fuel on it and kept it going and going and into the guard of honour.

One game too go before pre-lim week begins. Giants or Lions ? Who is going to W ? Form or preference ? A few injury concerns came out of it for PA, let's hope tonights game is a dogged match and goes into triple d/t.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
We won’t be that lucky it’ll be a blow out with cue in the rack last qtr efforts

Don’t care who wins-hope it’s a good game. Reckon we are capable of knocking either of these teams off. Not quite as sold on gws others -we will beat them on the g. Might barrack for brissy because of a couple of lions supporting friends -other than that, genuinely don’t have a preference.

Last edited:
15 years ago the Ginni chatter would have gotten him a square up in play and his mouth woulg have been shut for him.

Now that cant happen - so the little shit gets to keep being a smart arse un abated.

Kenny and PA fire back once its over and fair enough. you give what you get.

no issue with it really - however... All of then should STFU when Bruest was getting chaired off and they should have left it alone there .

Kenny should know better to so his apology is fine was well.

But Lewis and Hodge getting warped over it... sit down you have retired.

GO Catters
ALF changed when Gillon got Woke
A game once played by very tough folk
Now they get fined for something they spoke
Ken must explain why he made a crude joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back