Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

One game too go before pre-lim week begins. Giants or Lions ? Who is going to W ? Form or preference ? A few injury concerns came out of it for PA, let's hope tonights game is a dogged match and goes into triple d/t.
I think most would prefer the Lions as they definitely seem more beatable for us - they don't play as well away, we have a good record against them, they've played more games, their form line isn't as good... but it's for all these reasons, as well, why I see GWS winning tonight.

Think last night was the close final of the weekend and this will be comfortable for the Giants.

While I'd be disappointed if Geelong didn't win it this year, I also wouldn't mind any of the other teams left winning too much. Be a bit weird if Port made the GF, we didn't and they wound up winning, but overall I'd be happy for Hinkley to get that.

Who does everyone prefer to win tonight and why?
Giants no.1 pressure team in the AFL. It would be a torrid game against them. Lions less of a high pressure team. That’s a watch for me tonight whether Brisbane can ramp up their pressure and sustain it. Whoever wins will be tough to beat next week despite the advantages Geelong have.

Mitchell is far too much of a control freak to let them have complete free reign.. Have a look at what has come out this year, his kicking work with Watson and the strict instructions that he is not to work with anyone else, flying over the country to talk to /court players from other clubs he wants to recruit
He has to control and run everything, he's played happy coach "letting the boys go" this year because they were basically playing with house money with no pressure or expectations, when those things come and players don't absolutely perform I don't expect him to allow any free thought or control from that fwd line crew... And given they've been let loose they also won't like being reigned in.
I think as exciting and fun as they have looked they are an absolute recipe for a spontaneous combustion quickly.. Lots of young egos, all who want to be the man and have the attention

Is it just my absolute hatred of Hawthorn speaking... Probably, but I still can see it coming

Also I had the unique view of not watching the game, seeing the Hinkley stuff in real time and only seeing it after the fact this morning, what an absolutely overblown bit of nonsense, Ken was clearly making a smart arse comment, is it a good look for a senior coach, probably not tbh
But it wasn't near as bad as all Mitchell's mates in the media are crying about, and don't get me started on it disrespecting Bruest.. The person that disrespected Bruest the most was Sicily as he poured fuel on it and kept it going and going and into the guard of honour.
Spot on

Mitchell was sat down early in the season and told he needed to change his approach, which he did( credit to him as it would have been hard)

However he still holds all the power.
Which l believe he will need to demonstrate next year as this bunch of up starts have the potential to go rogue.

Don’t care who wins-hope it’s a good game. Reckon we are capable of knocking either of these teams off. Don’t rate gws quite as much as others do- we will beat them on the g. Might barrack for brissy because of a couple of lions supporting friends -other than that, genuinely don’t have a preference.
We haven't beaten GWS in a hot minute and they have the wood over us at GMHBA I think they would be very confident of rolling us at the MCG where they should have beaten the Pies in a PF last year.

That said I want us to play the Lions, I absolutely love how we keep bullying them in finals.

I hope Brisbane because I think we've got their measure mentally.

I think GWS will get the win though and they know they can beat us.

An all Sydney grand final would be an interesting endeavour if it goes pear shaped for us.
I just hope they both beat the suitcase out of each other tonight, no matter who wins. I want them limping into next week.

Pretty happy either way.

Barracking for Brissy because I think we'll have an easier time with them, but if the Cats weren't playing finals then GWS would be my no1 preference out of the remaining teams.

Who does everyone prefer to win tonight and why?
I feel like Brisbane as they will have been on the road 2 weeks, and seem to flakey and also are generally shocking at the G.

They do worry me that they also have quality players that may just randomly get red hot as well though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We haven't beaten GWS in a hot minute and they have the wood over us at GMHBA I think they would be very confident of rolling us at the MCG where they should have beaten the Pies in a PF last year.

That said I want us to play the Lions, I absolutely love how we keep bullying them in finals.
Only lost the last 2 to them and both by about a kick at k.park. And usually Toby does some great thing- but he’s not in that sort of form this year. We play the g better than we play at home.
You could argue that pies were lucky to win their three finals last year. I can hardly recall playing the lions in a final.

Last edited:
Last time Lions got away early
Giants slowly fought their way back
Convincing winners at the end
Expect the game to similar again

Pressure will be higher than PA v Hok
Hope the game is hard and physical
Want the battle to last to final siren
Suspect lions more likely to fold early
Would rather see lions win tonight
They are a better match up for Cats

Montagna did a Ginni. Said this game is the hard one for Brisbane and GWS. Thinks they both would fancy getting over Geelong and having a good shot at the premiership. This is the hard one and not next week! Wow !

Hasn't recovered from 2009 apparently.

Spot on

Mitchell was sat down early in the season and told he needed to change his approach, which he did( credit to him as it would have been hard)

However he still holds all the power.
Which l believe he will need to demonstrate next year as this bunch of up starts have the potential to go rogue.
Half of them won't stick around past their current contracts once Tasmania (and others) start throwing big dollars at them if they're half handy.

It was tight hot game last night. Port ramped up the pressure and won. Giants are the best pressure team in the comp and Brisbane lack in that space. Also Brisbane are more of a control team and giants are a chaos team that move it forward out of defense with speed. Giants play a finals brand on most metrics. I was looking forward to this one more regardless that winner will play Geelong.
This season, the Lions best is right up there, but as we saw with the Dogs, they have to be on when it counts. Very hard one to predict.
GWS ? HGA
Lions- list, imho, is #1 in the comp.
Both teams are worthy top 4, but hoping they both really play tonight like there's no tomorrow.

Only lost the last 2 to them and both by about a kick at k.park. And usually Toby does some great thing- but he’s not in that sort of form this year. We play the g better than we play at home.
You could argue that pies were lucky to win their three finals last year. I can hardly recall playing the lions in a final.
BOTH PRELIMS
2020, (82-42)
2022, (120-49)

I feel like a trend is possible?.
2024???

Last edited:
lol yep-thank you -forgot all about them. 2020 doesn’t count of course. 2022 surely does.

2020 was at the GABBA. Was weird how Brisbane players were supposedly giving us crap about losing the following week when we met in 2021 when we rolled them on their home deck to get there in the first place.

Montagna did a Ginni. Said this game is the hard one for Brisbane and GWS. Thinks they both would fancy getting over Geelong and having a good shot at the premiership. This is the hard one and not next week! Wow !
Yeah, many in the media are saying the same. No one rates us. No one likes us.

But how many of these guys picked us to beat Port? How many picked Port to beat Hawks? How many picked Hawks to beat Dogs? They genuinely have no idea. All of them have at various times been fawning over Carlton, Essendon, Dogs, Hawks etc - none of them remain in the finals.

These Geelong haters (which is most of the media now), know we're a big chance to win another flag. The thought of it is killing them. Let these 'experts' talk us down, we're as good a chance as anyone to win it and they know it..

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back