Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the hell do coaches tell their players to stop playing the way that got them ahead in the first place? Always baffles me.

I'm not convinced it's a coaches instruction, rather a player mindset thing.

It happens so much now in the "modern" game.

Besides, you are down six goals at the last break, so what are you going to do?

You are going to throw the kitchen sink at the opposition.......on a good day you make it a close finish and a chance to pull off an unlikely win and on a bad day you end up losing by nine goals

I'm not convinced it's a coaches instruction, rather a player mindset thing.

It happens so much now in the "modern" game.

The GWS runner was out there late waving everyone to slow it down, so it was obviously a coaching instruction.

I’d love to see the breakdown of the probabilities informing the strategy. Something around time left, expected % of possession your team will have during that period, ability to drain the clock with that possession etc etc

I suppose they would say it worked because they still won by 2 goals.
Yeah, maybe. And maybe it works more often than not. But it doesn't seem like it to me.

Yeah, maybe. And maybe it works more often than not. But it doesn't seem like it to me.

Yeah no, I'm on your side on this I'm not a big fan. My view is it works against shit teams for obvious reasons but doesn't work well against good opposition. In essence, you've played a great style to beat a top opposition around the ground and then play into their hands by completely flipping that style.

You become reactive, players tighten up and become tentative, all of the play is in your defensive half of the ground. I think its misguided because under those circumstances good teams can get a quick run-on of goals. Especially teams who don't rely on bombing it long to your extra numbers. I think the only way to do it is play boundary stoppage with the Collingwood strategy of tackling your own players over and over again.

I went to the VFL this afternoon. Was very windy and swirly conditions. The only time the Dees looked at all likely was with about 7min to go in the first quarter when we put up out fist sign and went into that mode and the Dees took ascendency and kicked multiple goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West coast have a pretty ordinary list but they’ve got 2 x key forwards that look the goods. Allen and Waterman when fit are bloody good
Don’t need KPF to be giants or jumping jacks, if the forward line know how to create space for smart key forwards to lead in to, and the mids can lower their eyes.

IMG_3338.jpeg IMG_3339.jpeg

Must be hell to be Steven May or Jake Lever. To be continually surrounded by incompetents who can never measure up their their own defensive brilliance....

would love jack sinclair in a lions jumper. hope wilmot can reach his level one day.

Possibly?
Now is probably a good time to do it as it will give them a fair bit of time to get the process underway to get a new coach in before, trade and free agency, draft and Pre-season.
They need an absolute proper belting first.

Before they get Leppa for next year.

Seriously though this isn't the sort of game where we would belt them

Just another get the job done game.

They need an absolute proper belting first.

Before they get Leppa for next year.

Seriously though this isn't the sort of game where we would belt them

Just another get the job done game.
We have a sense of playing within ourselves and saving ourselves for some bigger games ahead.
So I agree, this will be another game where we just do what we have to, to win.

We have a sense of playing within ourselves and saving ourselves for some bigger games ahead.
So I agree, this will be another game where we just do what we have to, to win.

Perhaps like last year. I seem to recall us absolutely blitzing them in the first 20 mins of the first quarter, then coasting the rest of the way.......

No injuries and a few players finding a bit more form please......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back