Official 2008 Fixture Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Next year's draw worries Cats

What's the problem with those games being away games - you still get in with your membership.

No offence to anyone personally, but I don't understand how you could say you were "really pissed off". That's a big statement - I would feel really pissed off if say we played 10 matches interstate or if my car got stoeln while I was at a match or something like that, but not about the draw as it is.

It surely would have been in the AFL's best interest to have bigger drawing teams play each other more often, but apart from that, I don't really see any problems with the draw.

I think you have missed the point entirely. I dont give a stuff about getting into games with my membership, since I live in NSW and get a membership just to financially support the club which provides entertainment, passion and drama year in year out. I only got to go to one game last year.

What does concern me is that everything is ok at the moment, but this doesnt last. You only have to look back 8 years to see how low a club can sink. Sure, we have a brilliant administration led by Costa and Cook. Costa is such a Geelong stalwart, and he bleeds for the club. Cooks supurb credentials speak for themselves.

But, there will come a time when things arent so rosy on the field. This could happen for several years straight. All of a sudden attendance drops, membership drops, not as much money is flowing into the club. It is times like these (which will happen) when the club needs to have set itself up financially so that we dont fall into dire straits like we were 8 years ago.

Having won the premiership, given the AFL most of its massive crowds this year (with help from the pies), we deserve to be given the chance to make some good profits. By denying us home games at the G, and friday night home games, we miss out on some big profits. Again, just look at the Collingwood game. This year we made 2 million dollars profit. If we hadnt had the home game against Collingwood, we would have made closer to 1.2 million dollarts profit.

THAT is why I am angry.

Re: Official 2008 Fixture

Definitely no state of origin next year.

Which potentially means no state of origin ever.

KB this morning was adamant that there was going to be state of origin. Apparently he is on some committee talking about it.

However i agree with u mate, no state of origin ever again.

And to quote fonzy

"We play state of origin every week with WA, SA and Vic teams playing each other"

earth to Fonz, most of those players don't originate from the state they play in.

I too am also unhappy that we have been scheduled twice versus Collingwood or Essendon - frankly I don't give a shit who we play once or twice otherwise, but those two are guaranteed money-spinners, and the AFL knows we are a crowd-puller. Playing Essendon at the Dome is a bloody joke.

Can't complain about the rest of the draw, but that annoys me.

We've got 18 games on free to air and seven Friday nights, because the broadcasters like the club, now that we are playing well.

If that's a bad result, well, I've missed it.
Means we have to listen to Bruce et al 7 times in the season. I feel ill just thinking about it.

I'm fairly happy with our draw but i do have a few concerns

. We don't get the home MCG game against Collingwood or Essendon
. We have to go to Subiaco to play West Coast and although it's after the split round we then play Adelaide at AAMI Stadium

Although we have 18 games on free to air, only 4 sunday games, 6 friday night games and we've finally got the big games, like playing on ANZAC day and season opener

You clearly are insufficiently passionate about your team. I suppose you've forgiven Colbert as well?

There is a kind of justice about it all. Leaves Geelong (as Captain) to jump to the then-reigning premiers. Finishes with 0 premiership medallions.

Fast forward to 2007, 22 Geelong players have big shiny premiership medallions. Including one C.Mooney, picked up by Geelong as part of the Colbert trade. :D

I'm not that fussed about the draw to be honest. Would have been nice to get Essendon or Collingwood at the MCG but otherwise I'm not bothered. We could play on a school oval and I wouldn't care as long as we win.

Keep winning on the field, the rest will take care of itself.

Actually I'm not that fussed about not playing Essendon at the G. They have a lot of bandwagon supporters who wont turn up to a match where they are expected to lose. Collingwood, yeah, why is it that the AFL is the only major sports 'competition', and I put competition in quotations for a reason, that has a patently unbalanced draw?

Even that most commercial of sports, English Premier League, has a balanced draw, you'll get as many Manu-Arsenal matches in the season as Manu-Wigan.

Actually I'm not that fussed about not playing Essendon at the G. They have a lot of bandwagon supporters who wont turn up to a match where they are expected to lose. Collingwood, yeah, why is it that the AFL is the only major sports 'competition', and I put competition in quotations for a reason, that has a patently unbalanced draw?

Even that most commercial of sports, English Premier League, has a balanced draw, you'll get as many Manu-Arsenal matches in the season as Manu-Wigan.

Yep. As much as the Premier League is only realistically going to be won by 4 clubs (Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool), you can't fault the fixturing. It's a remarkably revolutionary concept - everyone plays each other twice; once at your ground, once at theirs. And the side the finishes top is the Premier.

Amazing. :rolleyes:

Yep. As much as the Premier League is only realistically going to be won by 4 clubs (Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool), you can't fault the fixturing. It's a remarkably revolutionary concept - everyone plays each other twice; once at your ground, once at theirs. And the side the finishes top is the Premier.

Amazing. :rolleyes:

I suggested that the AFL scrap the final series and NAB cup, resort to a 30 game season, and hand the top team the premiership on the main board several months ago, and got shot down in flames by other posters. That's the only way the fixturing will ever be fair and equitable. Pity we'll never see it. :mad:

I did some research last night by going through the 2007 season and working out the total number of people who could potentially see a certain team play during the H&A season, going by the capacities of each ground as listed in the 2007 AFL guide. Turned out Collingwood had a potential audience of just over 1.8 million people. Geelong's potential audience was a shade over 1 million. No wonder Collingwood regularly tops attendance lists per season. Bearing in mind the MCG has a capacity of 100,000, and Collingwood played 15 games there, is it any wonder more people watch them than any other team in the league? Would've been interesting to see how many people Geelong would have drawn through the turnstiles this season if they played 15 games at the MCG.

I suggested that the AFL scrap the final series and NAB cup, resort to a 30 game season, and hand the top team the premiership on the main board several months ago, and got shot down in flames by other posters. That's the only way the fixturing will ever be fair and equitable. Pity we'll never see it. :mad:

I don't mind it, the difficulty is of course this year the season would have been well and truly over by about round 25, meaning you'd have five rounds of essentially dead rubbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind it, the difficulty is of course this year the season would have been well and truly over by about round 25, meaning you'd have five rounds of essentially dead rubbers.

It would have happened this year. The premiership would have been won in round 19. But that's what sport is. It's not meant to be fair by definition. There has to be winners and losers.

It would have happened this year. The premiership would have been won in round 19. But that's what sport is. It's not meant to be fair by definition. There has to be winners and losers.

Yeah but the current arrangement means that you really don't know who will win the GF until it's played.

Except this year :)

You clearly are insufficiently passionate about your team. I suppose you've forgiven Colbert as well?

I was asking about why people didn't like it. I appreciate the commercial negativities of the draw. I didn't expect insults though - especially insults without backup.

I think you have missed the point entirely. I dont give a stuff about getting into games with my membership, since I live in NSW and get a membership just to financially support the club which provides entertainment, passion and drama year in year out. I only got to go to one game last year.

What does concern me is that everything is ok at the moment, but this doesnt last. You only have to look back 8 years to see how low a club can sink. Sure, we have a brilliant administration led by Costa and Cook. Costa is such a Geelong stalwart, and he bleeds for the club. Cooks supurb credentials speak for themselves.

But, there will come a time when things arent so rosy on the field. This could happen for several years straight. All of a sudden attendance drops, membership drops, not as much money is flowing into the club. It is times like these (which will happen) when the club needs to have set itself up financially so that we dont fall into dire straits like we were 8 years ago.

Having won the premiership, given the AFL most of its massive crowds this year (with help from the pies), we deserve to be given the chance to make some good profits. By denying us home games at the G, and friday night home games, we miss out on some big profits. Again, just look at the Collingwood game. This year we made 2 million dollars profit. If we hadnt had the home game against Collingwood, we would have made closer to 1.2 million dollarts profit.

THAT is why I am angry.

Fair call mate. When you put it like that, I did miss the point. Well explained.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official 2008 Fixture Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back