List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Josh Caddy + 56 traded to Richmond for 24 and 64

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
trading out a best 22 player

Not 100% certain he is anymore - at least borderline. See my post above but Scooter & Menegola I think have/will overtake him in 2016 as will Cockatoo. I actually think we still have some upside in our midfield:
  • Selwood - Gun, can't do anymore.
  • Danger - Gun, can't do anymore.
  • Gutherie - Hopefully can play almost exclusively as a midfielder in 2017. Had a breakout year and although perhaps required in the backline, was much better as a mid. Hopefully with Tuohy coming into the team and an extra year into Kolo, Ruggles, Bews and Thurlow means he doesn't have to spend as much time back.
  • Duncan - Didn't have a good year by his standards, hopefully a down year, before back to his normal self (or better) in 2017.
  • Menegola - Really looks like we found one here. Wins ball, gutsy, smart. Came in and looked at home. Will be better for the run and should improve over the next 2 seasons.
  • Cockatoo - Could be anything. Needs a clean run at it.
  • Menzel - Could hopefully rotate through the middle and some stoppages for 3-8 minutes a quarter. Clean hands and good disposal + good around stoppages and at clearances.
  • Scooter - No idea why people don't rate him. Won a B&F at WC and was in their leadership group. Played well 2011-2013 and then spent 2.5 seasons injured. Sensible approach be Geelong this year will hopefully see that behind him.
  • Motlop - FARKING PULL YOUR FINGER OUT MATE! Hopefully the penny drops and he is already doing laps of the local footy oval towing a tire Pieboy Lance styles!
  • Murdoch - Move from pocket to more midfield time.
  • Cowen - They obviously like him because of his skills. Needs a clean run at it.

That is 11 mids that have been, or are getting first team game time. We also have GHS, McCarthy, Lang, Gregson who occupy that small forward role who can hopefully be like one M.Stokes and move into the mid, or are on the fringes.

Out of those players Duncan, Danger, Selwood, Gutherie, Motlop all easily ahead of Caddy with Menegola, Scooter, Cockatoo all at least equal deserving of first team time. With Cowen and Murdoch hoping to squeeze in there.

Not 100% certain he is anymore - at least borderline. See my post above but Scooter & Menegola I think have/will overtake him in 2016 as will Cockatoo. I actually think we still have some upside in our midfield:

Scott Selwood did not overtake him this year. Menegola is an injury-prone C-grader.

Scott Selwood did not overtake him this year. Menegola is an injury-prone C-grader.

So much rage. Menegola looked really good this year, not too sure if he is a C grader, didn't play like one. Selwood's career best has been much higher than Caddy. Because of his dual role as a run with player I think he has more upside.

So much rage. Menegola looked really good this year, not too sure if he is a C grader, didn't play like one. Selwood's career best has been much higher than Caddy. Because of his dual role as a run with player I think he has more upside.

That was 4 years ago. He's not at that level anymore.

If the basis of your argument is that Caddy wasn't a best 22 player for Geelong, then you're already wrong. I'm sorry. He was a best 22 player and he was worth more than pick 24.

He's not at that level anymore.

Caddy has never been at that level, or looked like he will get there. I am not saying he isn't 22, but that he is borderline 22. You know how I know? Because he isn't at the club anymore.

Also he is worth about pick 22. He is a 4-8th rotation mid at his best.

I am happy for the guy to prove me wrong and I didn't want to trade him. But the hysteria on here is borderline and dudes need to dial it back. I am pretty excited to see Cockatoo, Menegola, Scooter and Murdoch given an opportunity next year TBH.

Caddy has never been at that level, or looked like he will get there. I am not saying he isn't 22, but that he is borderline 22. You know how I know? Because he isn't at the club anymore.

Also he is worth about pick 22. He is a 4-8th rotation mid at his best.

I am happy for the guy to prove me wrong and I didn't want to trade him. But the hysteria on here is borderline and dudes need to dial it back. I am pretty excited to see Cockatoo, Menegola, Scooter and Murdoch given an opportunity next year TBH.

All of that is true.
But with him contracted 15 other clubs in the same situation would have got a 1st rnd for him. We rolled over and took a 2nd when richmond had a 1st.

If Caddy was to go which he did we had to get a first rounder for him... Dissapointed we didnt and honestly dont know why we accepted pick 24.... Have always admired wells and his history, but we lost out here.

It is 8 picks outside round 1 and TBH he isn't worth a 1st rounder. Dudes are delusional to think otherwise. Pick 20-28 was about where I would have put him. Also we will save a little $$$ on him. Need to free up those types of players and their wage so we can have a ping at someone via FA next year :D

All of that is true.
But with him contracted 15 other clubs in the same situation would have got a 1st rnd for him. We rolled over and took a 2nd when richmond had a 1st.

15 other clubs probably wouldn't have let him go in the first place. But as you say, if push had come to shove, they would have got a pick in the teens for him. To mismanage this player and then the trade is bordering on incompetency or sheer complacency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ct6XNzuUEAAkMHl.jpg

the "curse" of the stupid G guernsey has already struck

I get that people are confused, irritated and even a bit pissed off. However, the level of hysteria is rather insane. I didn't like the trade because I think we could have done a lot better, not necessarily because I think the trading of Caddy was shit.

My view is that Caddy hasn't fulfilled his potential. I had high hopes for both he and Smedts. Many people in life don't go close to fulfilling their potential. What was Caddy's potential? His best was great, but was he going to achieve that?

If Caddy gets a clean run with injuries and Richmond let him have it out in the middle, there's every chance we will end up being left to look rather silly. If the above mentioned happens and Deledio is a consistent producer at GWS, I may well cry!

There is a chance, and it's not beyond the realms of possibility, that Caddy remains an inconsistent plodder, Deledio can't shake the injury curse and is rendered a flop, while we use draft pick #24 and pick up a very good player. Stranger things have happened.

I get that people are confused, irritated and even a bit pissed off. However, the level of hysteria is rather insane. I didn't like the trade because I think we could have done a lot better, not necessarily because I think the trading of Caddy was shit.

My view is that Caddy hasn't fulfilled his potential.
I had high hopes for both he and Smedts. Many people in life don't go close to fulfilling their potential. What was Caddy's potential? His best was great, but was he going to achieve that?

If Caddy gets a clean run with injuries and Richmond let him have it out in the middle, there's every chance we will look rather silly. If the above mentioned happens and Deledio is a consistent producer at GWS, I may well cry!

There is a chance, and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Caddy remains an inconsistent plodder, Deledio can't shake the injury curse and is rendered a flop, while we use draft pick #24 and pick up a very good player. Stranger things have happened.

Yet CD rates him as elite for his position as a 24 year old. Still plenty of time for him to get even better in his mid-20s.

What would you call it Scotty? (Btw good to see you posting again)

I am probably much more pragmatic than some and I am also very heavily invested in US sports (in particular NFL) so trading players doesn't worry me. I think people misunderstand how list management works. It isn't always a matter of "is this player better than that player" but there is list turnoverand numbers, positions, salary cap, etc. that all have to be considered.

Take this scenario. Is Caddy better than Menegola? Answer, probably. I don't think anyone would disagree with that too strongly. However, what is the difference in their wage? I would guess probably $150k+ since Menegola would be on the base wage, having coming through the draft again last year. So it isn't just about is player A better than B, but where do they fit into your list, salary cap and future plans?

The AFL also gave us a special pass to get Touhy into the team as we technically didn't have pick to trade to Carlton. I would say there was a desire to get back into the draft for possibly 3 reasons: First, being we have traded a lot of picks recently and wanted to get some top 35 talent, second, the AFL requiring us to because of the Touhy trade, third, you need to turn over X amount of your list each year as per AFL rules.

The difference in say, pick 16-18 which is about as high as anyone could expect for Caddy and pick 24 is probably pretty small anyway. After usually around pick 10 you could throw a blanket over the next 15 kids as it then becomes as much about what you are looking for.

No Jimmy, no Enright, no Caddy I would hope we have freed up a little bit of space for a ping at a FA next year, maybe 2, too help plug some more holes. With another year together and if we can train and coach right, we should still have a very competitive team next year. It is rose coloured glasses but Scooter, Cockatoo, Duncan, Motlop, Menzel and Murdoch can all still improve quiet a bit on this year. If half of them do, Caddy won't be that badly missed.

Imujry prone.

He had one injury that was a force injury ( ie one created by another player falling on him) and he played out the rest of the season.
Im not going to argue the grade you gave him ... yet...

but to call him injury prone in his time at GFC is just wrong.

Go Catters

Imujry prone.

He had one injury that was a force injury ( ie one created by another player falling on him) and he played out the rest of the season.

Go Catters

Right. I'm not talking about just his time at Geelong.

Imujry prone.

Go Catters
You are right Daz.
But at his other AFL clubs has certainly missed his share from injury.
Hopefully he is past that at the Cats though,lots too work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back