List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Josh Caddy + 56 traded to Richmond for 24 and 64

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are paying 100%, how did we expect to attract Deledio? o_O
I think PO makes the good point that we are probably paying 100% with some front ending and losing Caddy enabled that. But I don't think we ever realistically could have afforded Deledio with Motlop staying.

I think PO makes the good point that we are probably paying 100% with some front ending and losing Caddy enabled that. But I don't think we ever realistically could have afforded Deledio with Motlop staying.
Thank goodness we couldn't afford him. Would have been a terrible move.

I don't think we can compare Caddy with Parfitt. They look like completely different players.

Caddy will chip away and get 20 possessions and a goal a game. He won't be a match winner, but he would be starting 22 in most teams.

Parfitt at best, might be like a Stokes. I think he will be a good player, but its hard to say if he will become a match winner, he probably won't, but he should be a starting 22 player.

It was a mistake to trade Caddy, the fact we salvaged the situation by drafting a better player in Parfitt is a relief.

However, the fact remains it was a poor decision to allow a good player entering the prime of his career to leave the club. Objectively, you couldn't say it is normal to receive a player of Parfitt's caliber at 24. He is probably at least a top 5 talent from that year. So we got a little bit lucky.

didn't Caddy initiate the move because he wanted more time in the midfield?
He initiated the move because his best friend (Prestia) got traded to the tigers. Reminds me of the primary school days of a kid asking to change classes because his best friend got put in the other class...

Though just looking at 2016 draft, it looks to be shaping as a pretty deep draft. Some good players in the first 25 picks, plus Stewart, Darcy, Hannan, Rioli, Sav later (and more).

Doesn't look to be an absolute standout player yet (Stewart will be first All-Australian but is older). Mcgrath and the top few are good, but I am pretty happy with Parfitt. I am sure many clubs in the top 20 are just as happy with their picks though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

didn't Caddy initiate the move because he wanted more time in the midfield?
That was one of the reasons he stated when he left. Which is funny cause he has played basically zero midfield there. But from all reports he isn’t the brightest spark. But he got lucky though. The tigers were a basket case the year before he got there.

That was one of the reasons he stated when he left. Which is funny cause he has played basically zero midfield there. But from all reports he isn’t the brightest spark. But he got lucky though. The tigers were a basket case the year before he got there.
This is a quote from Caddy after their win over the Saints:

"Obviously it was documented I came here to play in the midfield and help out there and it transpired the other way and I played probably more forward," Caddy said on Friday.

"But I'm loving my footy at the moment and whatever 'Dimma' (coach Damien Hardwick) needs me to do [I'll do]. If Dustin (Martin) needs a rest down forward I'll go in the midfield, and if we need a forward target I'll play up in the forward line. There's no dramas either way."

http://m.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-06-01/flying-tiger-caddy-not-looking-forward

Obvious mistake to develop then offload, Richmond are fortunate to have him and Townsend big bodied mediums that can both mark and tackle.
He's a weapon now.

It’s been a win/win for mine, a little bit more of a win for the Tigers/Caddy because they won the premiership but I’m still happy with the result.

At the time Caddy wanted to play full time midfield and we couldn’t provide that for him, we’ll never know how long it would’ve taken for Caddy if he stayed at Geelong to accept that he can be a very good forward instead.

Caddy is playing that 2nd marking target (alongside Moore recently) for Richmond and is averaging 3 goals a game this season. Menzel is our 2nd marking target and is also averaging 3 goals a game this season. Caddy is just ahead in terms of durability.

Parfitt is better for our system because his pressure is fantastic along with how well he’s gotten at playing midfield when he’s rotated in there at times. Caddy doesn’t need to worry about pressure much at Richmond because they already have so many great pressure players around him he can focus on just being that marking target & kicking lots of goals, just like Menzel for us looks incredible when our pressure players are actually fit because pressure isn’t a strength of his but taking contested marks, kicking lots of goals and making something out of nothing are his strengths.

Happy for Caddy that he’s had some success with possibly more coming. Happy for us because I love Parfitt as a player, he’s already a gun and will be a star.

You need to see the potential value l reckon, we didn't Richmond did.
So we kept Motlop etc.Brilliant!
Motlop was actively seeking options and had no takers during that same trade period - probably to do with being a free agent one year later which is when Port showed interest

Geelong did see value in Caddy but when a player makes it clear that they want out, as Caddy did once Prestia signed at Richmond, it's often a better option to try and get a trade done because your not necessarily going to get the best out of the player when their head & heart is no longer with the team

You need to see the potential value l reckon, we didn't Richmond did.
So we kept Motlop etc.Brilliant!
There was a time when I thought that Caddy would be our next captain. But really his last season was a disappointment, could well have been lack of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back