List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Josh Caddy + 56 traded to Richmond for 24 and 64

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how you single me out when your buddies are running around like headless chickens trying to prove the opposite. I just don't like it when people twist facts to suit their own agenda.
There is no point as you will be banned
i think we need to stand next to the captain at coin toss

You were the one to raise the subject by complaining about us 'giving up a draft pick' alongside Caddy.

Don't complain about getting responses to a discussion you literally started.
I Didnt start it, i merely pointed that people are using to strengthen a poor trade
and it is an irrelevant part of the trade, as we could have landed the player regardless of the trade

I Didnt start it, i merely pointed that people are using to strengthen a poor trade
and it is an irrelevant part of the trade, as we could have landed the player regardless of the trade

:think:

These are you from when you started your mini thread prior to it being merged here

For a team lacking forwards you traded him and a pick
Seriously.

and giving away a pick as part of the trade

:think:

These are you from when you started your mini thread prior to it being merged here
Lets go through this slowly
we had our own pick which would have landed Narkle, so Narkle was not gained as part of the Caddy trade
involving another pick in the Caddy trade was weak, as we were not getting enough for a contracted player

look at what we paid for Henderson, a player not getting a game at the blues

Would Caddy solve some of our forward issues
YES
Do we need a caddy forward type
YES
Is caddy better than Crameri
Yes
Is the Caddy trade piss poor
YES

Case closed
I'm conflicted with this to-ing and fro-ing. lol

I agree with your idea that most probably Geelong entertained the idea of putting Caddy on the table as part of a trade deal. It doesn't matter if Saul Caddy mentioned it to Richmond first, and Richmond mentioned it to Geelong when they were putting feelers out to Geelong re the Deledio trade. Or some other thing similar.

Even before that, I saw Caddy geting squeezed out of the midfield (and I agreed with that), and maybe even looking like he was going to have to fight for a position in the forward line. We decided we wanted Scott Selwood in Caddy position in the midfield, I think.

The thing is, Richmond eventually sold the forward position to Caddy, and he has blossomed. We never did that. But worse, Caddy was never a midfielder's backside in the first place. That is where we stuffed up royally.

We have done a lot right. Caddy isn't one of them.

Lets go through this slowly
we had our own pick which would have landed Narkle, so Narkle was not gained as part of the Caddy trade
involving another pick in the Caddy trade was weak, as we were not getting enough for a contracted player

So we had a Narkle pick and traded it for... a Narkle pick. That's not weak, that's irrelevant.

look at what we paid for Henderson, a player not getting a game at the blues

I think you meant to say ''player not getting a game at the Blues becaus they wouldn't play him because they knew he was leaving".

And okay, we paid 16 for Hendo and received 24 for Caddy. That sounds about right.

Caddy was shit when he played for us. Had no heart. If he was still at Geelong he wouldn’t be at the levels he’s at now with Richmond.

His stats at Richmond are not that different to his stats with us, he pretty much is playing the same, only difference is he is now playing in a much better team and thriving on it, no doubt the move was at the perfect time for Caddy, a great loss to us though it must be said, exactly the type of forward we need.

Love Parfitt but Caddy was a big loss.

His stats at Richmond are not that different to his stats with us, he pretty much is playing the same, only difference is he is now playing in a much better team and thriving on it, no doubt the move was at the perfect time for Caddy, a great loss to us though it must be said, exactly the type of forward we need.

Do Richmond score much more than we did 2012 - 2016? Can't be bothered to check. His 2017 was probably similar to his 2016, but he's added a lot of goals to his game this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whether Caddy or the club initiated the trade doesn't explain why we settled for what was at the time pretty average compensation. A lot of us are happy with Parfitt, but what if he was taken a few picks before and we instead recruited a dud?

When you consider we gave a future first pick for Henderson after he finished the year playing for the Carlton reserves, it's not too much of a stretch to argue we could have asked for more for a best 22 contacted player entering his prime.

Just my opinion of course.

I didn't realise that location of where one buys a house has that much on an influence on where one plays football - in 2016 Jesse Hogan bought a house in Perth before re-signing with Melbourne for another 3 years; didn't Devon Smith buy a house in Geelong the other year also because it seems he didn't really have any interest in playing for us; and if we go back a few years with Geelong players & Mooney spent most of his playing career living in Port Melbourne where his wife actually had a shop front (I guess that made him more likely want a trade to a Melbourne club than travel to Geelong for training & playing commitments), and I'm pretty sure Bartel was also living in Port Melbourne for a period during his playing career.

It's quite an amazing thing but people can buy a house in one suburb and then travel for their work - a shit load actually do it daily with a commute from Geelong to Melbourne for work, why would footballers necessarily be any different?

As for another reason why Caddy could potentially have been restless at Geelong - his best mate was after a trade to Richmond & put the idea to Caddy to do the same. GC & Richmond both missed the finals in 2016 so chances are once their seasons where over that Prestia's manager started looking at options for him back in Melbourne and one of those was Richmond who showed interest. Once Geelong's season was over after the prelim, Prestia was talking to his good mate Caddy to offer him condolences but also mentions about his move to Melbourne & that Richmond looks the likely spot & asks if Caddy would think of a move also - the idea being Richmond need midfielders, Caddy is down the list in terms of midfield time at Geelong, so he starts the ball rolling. And we do know that Prestia spoke to Caddy about coming to Richmond because Caddy has admitted it:

He said the opportunity to play with good mate Dion Prestia also influenced the decision.
“I’d be lying if I said it didn’t. We’ve been mates since we were kids. We played Vic Metro together and obviously got drafted together.
“When things transpired, when he got wind of that he was into me straight away.”

I've seen more evidence from the side of Caddy approaching Richmond & Richmond approaching Geelong about Caddy then I have seen from Geelong trying to initiate any trade involving Caddy - especially around the idea of Geelong engaging his interest in a trade prior to the end of our season & before they have even had initial discussions with Richmond about what they would be after in terms of a trade for Deledio.

And in terms of the value of the trade - sure fans will always want more than the team receives in a trade, but on reflection it was probably right value considering what we had seen from Caddy during his time at Geelong. He was good with the odd great game, but he never really came on like the club would have expected, he only had 1 top 10 finish in the b&f and that was in 2015 (the clubs worse season for like 10 years), dropping out of the votes 12 months later. Not sure you can really be demanding a first round pick for a player on the cusp, was there abouts but who didn't really take that next step

Whether Caddy or the club initiated the trade doesn't explain why we settled for what was at the time pretty average compensation. A lot of us are happy with Parfitt, but what if he was taken a few picks before and we instead recruited a dud?

When you consider we gave a future first pick for Henderson after he finished the year playing for the Carlton reserves, it's not too much of a stretch to argue we could have asked for more for a best 22 contacted player entering his prime.

Just my opinion of course.

Henderson was only playing reserves because he informed Carlton that he wanted out at the end of the year - if he was committed to Carlton beyond that year then he would have still be in the seniors.

So its a bit hard to compare the trade deals for the players in that situation

He wasn’t shit. Still played some good and occasionally very good games for us. He only became shit immediately after he left.
In their club BnF voting, the MC rated his last season with us as very poor, barely a pass mark.
This may explain why the club didn't appear too fazed when he changed his mind and made his last-minute snap decision to leave.

We can say that now, but it certainly wasn't a huge loss at the time.
Menegola, SS, Duncan, Guthrie, Danger, Joel- a pretty good MF that Caddy himself thought he could not compete with.
He chose Tigers- was not pushed out by us.
The fact that he has thrived at Richmond is great for him and them.
Who knows if he'd be kicking bags of goals with us.
I was there last pm, and you could see his confidence all night was high, and he knows his role in that team, and that he is surrounded by a whole group of players that will allow him to be that player.

well done to Caddy for fitting the Richmond system but he was given every opportunity to shine here and just wasnt up too the task of our structure, pick 24 for a bits player is a good trade...

well done to Caddy for fitting the Richmond system but he was given every opportunity to shine here and just wasnt up too the task of our structure, pick 24 for a bits player is a good trade...
We needed cap space and the club asked a group of players that included Caddy if they'd be willing to go play somewhere else and Caddy said yes. We didn't get rid of him per se, it was purely for salary cap reasons that he was traded. That's what happens when you get Paddy, Henderson, Tuohy, etc into the club. It's why Sydney traded Mumford, for example, because paying big for Buddy & Tippet created salary cap pressure and they had to get rid of someone.

FYI - This thread will be locked shortly and reopened after the game.

Cant cover all the sooking and shitfighting of GD threads and this.

So get it all out now or save it till later.

GO CAtters

would he have kicked that here at Geelong?
could of kicked more for you blokes since you win more clearances. the thing we love about caddy is he's a reliable kick for goal and is the first to fly the flag or back a team mate up. which is talked up of lever having a go at townsend in the grand final about his stutter and caddy letting him no that shits not on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back