Official NAB 2010 Draft Rumors/Predictions/Preferences...

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I would be the first to admit that I haven't seen nearly as much of these guys as the experts so my opinion is probably not worth much but he just doesn't seem to have exposive pace off the mark to me. He is fast enough once he is clear but I just have reservations about him getting clear in the first place. As I said I am sure he will play AFL and is undoubtably a good athlete, I just find him a bit vanilla and a safe pick rather than one that will give us a potentially devastating midfield in the future and his kicking really worries me. I would also question if 22 possies a game for an unatended full time midfielder can really be called starring. Give me 22 from Pitt over him anyday.

Not that I know much about these kids (I haven't even watched many Youtube highlights! :eek:) but Emma Quayle seems to paint a different picture of Smith (although she only rated him at 18).

Emma Quayle said:
A skilful midfielder who can win the ball in contested situations and use it well bursting from the pack. His first steps are quick and he has a calm, low key nature which helps in the hurly burly of the packs. Diligent, a touted leader and you get the feeling there will never be too big a gap between his best and worst games.

She seems to think his skills and early pace are strengths, rather than weaknesses. I must say, that conflicts with what I have often read here on BF (though some judges I'd call astute have said otherwise...)

Don't worry about Smiths DC testing.

He's got game quickness and speed. Always on his toes, fast reaction speed and bursts away from packs.

You don't play footy from stand-stills in runners on a basketball court.

Rather than being safe as this draft is compromised already....
Take a punt...we need some x factor in our team!!!
Jed Lamb, Issac Smith
But what i really want is for us to take Horlin-Smith!
Midfielder in the mould of Jack Trengrove and Steele Sidebottom....
I'll take it anyday of the week!

I have a sneaky feeling we will be reading out either Brodie Smith or Jacobs' name this week. I'd be happy with either. Smith definitely seems like an Adelaide-type personality like Danger and Davis.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/105152/default.aspx

Otten's more than a name

MOtten_2010_246a.jpg

"It's been exciting to watch Andy's development. I take more of an interest in what Adelaide does now and I go to as many games as I can."

Otten earned an invitation to the NAB AFL Draft Combine in Canberra last month, where he spoke to a handful of clubs including Fremantle, Port Adelaide, the Sydney Swans and Western Bulldogs. He has also spoken with the Crows twice.

The 191cm defender has been touted as a late draft pick, meaning he could slip through to Adelaide's second selection (No.61 overall).

Andy Otten said he would not try to influence recruiting manager Matt Rendell's decision, even though the brothers agreed a reunion would be the best case scenario.

"Whenever I see Matt I ask him how Max is going and he always says, 'Yeah, he's going alright', but I don't want to interfere," he said.

Seb Tape is firming for 14 if there. Amazing really! Probably has overtaken Smith.
Has anyone got vision of Tape's performances for Glenelg in the final against Norwood?
COuld he genuenly become a midf?
Also i just cant see crows taking Jacobs. He isnt athletic enough in my opinion. I think our links with him are similat to JMP last year.
Looks like Tape or B.SMith at the moment.

How can someone overtake someone else in a lull period like this? Is he still playing matches somewhere? Just seems like the typical big footy hype that a few people are running along with.

Agreed. God, Seb Tape would be a terrible choice. Good enough footballer, but not for us.

How can someone overtake someone else in a lull period like this? Is he still playing matches somewhere? Just seems like the typical big footy hype that a few people are running along with.
Recruiters aren't allowed to talk to players during VCE/HSC examination period. Now that that has finished, the talk will begin increasing due to the clubs active nature at this time.

The players we'd have on our list of availables at 14 and 61 will get a lot of face time with us in this last 2 week period. People then find out about said face time and the 'talk' starts placing people ahead.

I don't think Tape will be available at 14.

Not so much a case of the clubs changing their opinions, more that there is an increasing volume of information about who the clubs are considering. Those for whom the bells toll loudly are seen to be shuffling up the order, those for whom there is deafening silence are seen to be sliding. The reality is that neither are the case - the player rankings themselves really haven't changed at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's what I was thinking. Surely somoene who was described as a 'solid defender who reads the play well' cant be a now top 15 pick due to his good interviews.

You would think a good percentage of recruiters overall research of a certain player would be actually watching them play for the previous 1/2 years.

Have a look at the Christian Howard story from last year and tell me that clubs dont change their mind in the last few days before the draft.
Even the Hawthorn decision to take talls over smalls on draft day.

Have a look at the Christian Howard story from last year and tell me that clubs dont change their mind in the last few days before the draft.
Even the Hawthorn decision to take talls over smalls on draft day.
I think this gets overplayed a little.

The Hawks were at the Tigers mercy, Tigers had a pick before both of theirs. Griffen was a lock to the Dogs at #3.

The Tigers chose to go small at #1 and #4, while it wasn't a surprise at #1, it was at #4.

Probably a little less Hawks genious and more Tiger gamble that didn't pay off.

Recruiters aren't allowed to talk to players during VCE/HSC examination period. Now that that has finished, the talk will begin increasing due to the clubs active nature at this time.

The players we'd have on our list of availables at 14 and 61 will get a lot of face time with us in this last 2 week period. People then find out about said face time and the 'talk' starts placing people ahead.

I don't think Tape will be available at 14.

Thoughts WALL-e?
WHat have you heard?

Anyone manage to get Seb Tapes performance for Glenelg in elimination final onto youtube?

I think ABC iView only goes back a fortnight but check there as it was an ABC televised game on 18 September 2010.

As for Tape not being a midfielder. He did on some occasions start some centre bounces during the Championships. When he played on Darling in the WA game, they kept him on Darling when he was thrown in there. I can also remember him getting few centre bounces against Vic Country at Skilled.

Not a huge run through the midfield I know, but obviously SA coach Brenton Phillips had the confidence to play him there at pivotal situations. Also, Brenton Phillips will be live blogging this Wednesday at 2pm (SA time) for those that are interested:

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/1267/

Where do rumours that we are going to draft Tape come from. Are they reputable sources? Surely we won't dick around with a non midfielder when we are screaming out for a genuine running mid. Cant wait til Thursday

Where do rumours that we are going to draft Tape come from. Are they reputable sources? Surely we won't dick around with a non midfielder when we are screaming out for a genuine running mid. Cant wait til Thursday
Fairly sure it was a quote from Matt Rendell, which would make it reputable. On the other hand, if Rendell mentions a player's name in the week leading up to the draft then you can guarantee that we won't be selecting that player...

Does anyone take notice of what I am saying here, he isn't a midfielder! I have known the guy for 10 years, and know a heck of a lot more about his footy history than anyone on here. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, I just don't want people to get their hopes up about it happening. If we want to go for a midfielder at pick 14, Brodie Smith is the way to go. If we want another offensive defender/part time foward, Sebby is the way to go.

I'd love it if he played for the team I supported, but the odds of it happening are really slim.

Does anyone take notice of what I am saying here, he isn't a midfielder! I have known the guy for 10 years, and know a heck of a lot more about his footy history than anyone on here. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, I just don't want people to get their hopes up about it happening. If we want to go for a midfielder at pick 14, Brodie Smith is the way to go. If we want another offensive defender/part time foward, Sebby is the way to go.

I'd love it if he played for the team I supported, but the odds of it happening are really slim.
Anyone else care to comment on this one...?

Remove this Banner Ad

Official NAB 2010 Draft Rumors/Predictions/Preferences...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back