Autopsy Official NAB Cup RD1 v Melbourne & North

Remove this Banner Ad

Concerns over 3-4 haven't been eased by these games .
Dericks , A.Edwards , McGaunne , just not sure they will prove to be worthy of being upon our list in 2013 ?
A few that I think showed they may play more than I think in 2013 were ,
Vlaustin , Arnott , Astbury

Nahas and Vickery need to improve on tonight's games to be in our best 22.
Time we started seeing Elton or even one of Griffith and Astbury forward our tall forward depth remains a issue .
DID I MENTION THOSE ******* UMPIRES .
Agreed, on trying some different forward options, earlier n i was bullish about edwards, having seen him twice, id be very surprised if he does anything at all, couldnt get near it, bloody awful in fact

It might only be NAB cup but given what happened last year don't you think the coaching staff should have considered that it might be helpful to our morale to finally win a tight one - particularly against a fellow contender for the finals?

You don't want the albatross to get too heavy and half our club's problem is the pyschological weight of history. Every liitle bit helps for a club like ours.
No.

Not just yet...

Jak i was on his bandwagon but he lost me tonight. Just didnt show me anything to hang my hat on. Even if you cant jump as high as another ruck you can work around the ground and he just doesnt have it. Hope he changes my mind but it will take a lot. What happened to the jumping and taking grabs in his first year??

Thought the coach might have used the opportunity of a close finish to give the guns a bit a practice as its a experienced mob that needed the practice not the rookies. However I would say the boys were to have rest no matter what. Still never fazed by what happens in pre season good or bad.

Concerns over 3-4 haven't been eased by these games .
Dericks , A.Edwards , McGaunne , just not sure they will prove to be worthy of being upon our list in 2013 ?
A few that I think showed they may play more than I think in 2013 were ,
Vlaustin , Arnott , Astbury

Nahas and Vickery need to improve on tonight's games to be in our best 22.
Time we started seeing Elton or even one of Griffith and Astbury forward our tall forward depth remains a issue .
DID I MENTION THOSE ******* UMPIRES .
Ty will need some more time I suspect RP, given his time out of the game and all. I don't want to say McGuanne and Derickx are gone, given it's round 1 of NAB, but gee, I'm concerned.

Vlaus and Arnott were good, Vlaus really good.

Good night for us.... Lids, Cotch and Marto talking shit on the bench during the last 2 minutes... shows how serious they were although Cotch gave the politically correct response after the game....

Best thing for me tonight was there were far fewer players out there that were clearly not up to it, albeit in games that were below AFL season-proper pressure.

Obviously, we don't want White, Derickx etc playing too many games or it means injuries have cruelled us but take most of the blokes that played tonight add Grimes, Axel, Chaplin (probably), King (probably) and we have real competition for spots. There are not too many blokes on our list that I'd be embarrassed about being in the team.

I think O'Hanlon is a little bit off it at this stage along with another couple but I'd much rather the guys on the fringe that we have now than Nason, Farmer, Graham, Browne, Miller, Webberley, A.Maric etc and they all got a fair bit of game time in previous years. I'm talking guys like Knights, Dea, O'Hanlon, McGuane, Astbury, A.Edwards, Arnot, Pettard (really good tonight) etc.

Vlas will play most games this year and Conca has come on. Vickery is the key for me, for our forward line. Still doesn't have complete confidence in his shoulders IMO but will hopefully get it in the next few weeks. If he doesn't get it back then really need someone else to stand up (#24 would be my hope).

Thoughts?

answer the question please what are our realistic objectives this year???

NAB premiership was one , that is now gone

So who's objective was that? Has anyone from the club ever publicly stated this? Or is it just what YOU want us to do?
I'm guessing Hardwick never got the memo either considering who we had on the bench in the last quarter.

No need to play dumb, our objective is to finish top 8... Anyone who supports us knows this.

POSITIVES

VLASTIN...WOWEEE NICE SPIN AND BAULKS....

Griff in defence was good

Arnott worked his guts out...although almost needs to pull it back a bit to avoid giving away frees

Edwards still looks dangerous

Jack's form was good

Knights showed good signs in second game without top players

Man crush on O'Hanlon continues

Ellis was very good in backline role

Like newy up the ground..

NEGATIVES

If Ivan goes down we are dead set stuffed. Vickery goes ok in the ruck but Derickx is a dead set spud. Curry on the other hand looks like he might challange Goldstein for ruck possie.

Matt White - Really should just be runnign water. His composure even in a praccy game is terrible. Dead set panics when he gets the ball under some pressure.

Edwards of the Aaron variety is going to be a liability in todays game. Not interested in watching him trail backman out of our forward line all year. Lacks composure talent but at least McGuane will put pressure on.

Dea for mine is never going to make the grade. Don't understand the hype on this kid as he really doesn't have any attributes other than courage. The sealer against North he really should have been all over his man.

dicuss.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It might only be NAB cup but given what happened last year don't you think the coaching staff should have considered that it might be helpful to our morale to finally win a tight one - particularly against a fellow contender for the finals?

You don't want the albatross to get too heavy and half our club's problem is the pyschological weight of history. Every liitle bit helps for a club like ours.

Or was it good development to our younger kids, exposing them to such a pressure situation?

We would have won by 10-15 if Cotch, Lids and Martin stayed on.

Who gives a F. From what I saw tonight our best 22 will be better than Norf's this year. We'll beat them in the season proper.

Good night for us.... Lids, Cotch and Marto talking shit on the bench during the last 2 minutes... shows how serious they were although Cotch gave the politically correct response after the game....

Best thing for me tonight was there were far fewer players out there that were clearly not up to it, albeit in games that were below AFL season-proper pressure.

Obviously, we don't want White, Derickx etc playing too many games or it means injuries have cruelled us but take most of the blokes that played tonight add Grimes, Axel, Chaplin (probably), King (probably) and we have real competition for spots. There are not too many blokes on our list that I'd be embarrassed about being in the team.

I think O'Hanlon is a little bit off it at this stage along with another couple but I'd much rather the guys on the fringe that we have now than Nason, Farmer, Graham, Browne, Miller, Webberley, A.Maric etc and they all got a fair bit of game time in previous years. I'm talking guys like Knights, Dea, O'Hanlon, McGuane, Astbury, A.Edwards, Arnot, Pettard (really good tonight) etc.

Vlas will play most games this year and Conca has come on. Vickery is the key for me, for our forward line. Still doesn't have complete confidence in his shoulders IMO but will hopefully get it in the next few weeks. If he doesn't get it back then really need someone else to stand up (#24 would be my hope).

Thoughts?

Agree with most of that. Pettard looked composed. I'd say he'll play a few games this year. I think Astbury and O'Hanlan will make it and hopefully play a few games this year.

I'm itching to see our backline play with Chaplin and Grimes injected. (poor choice of words)

Disagree, he took a mark, I pick McGuane for worst!

apart from getting a few frees Vickery wasn't inspiring either!
You drunk? McGuane was actually decent. Made some mistakes but did some nice things.
Have you, or anyone, got a cure for hiccups? I am stuggling.

Agreed, on trying some different forward options, earlier n i was bullish about edwards, having seen him twice, id be very surprised if he does anything at all, couldnt get near it, bloody awful in fact

It seems to me we havent really changed our system going fwd much. far far too crowded. Edwards looked slow and very rusty imo.

Agree with most of that. Pettard looked composed. I'd say he'll play a few games this year. I think Astbury and O'Hanlan will make it and hopefully play a few games this year.

I'm itching to see our backline play with Chaplin and Grimes injected.
O'Hanlon is a beauty.

I get it was disappointing to lose. Was gutted after they took the lead, but when i saw cotch, lids and Martin on the bench laughing i realised how serious we took the game. North had a strong side out there, Wells, Swallow, Petrie and Harvey all very important in the last 5 minutes. Our best players apart from Jack were sitting on the sidelines most of the 2nd half.

Flosstone, Conca and Ellis all really good especially in the 2nd half.

Geez i hope that is not what i can expect from umpires all season, makes the game almost unwatchable. Soft 50's, Ellis going in hard for the ball and gets done for that stupid slide rule. How batchler didnt get a free after Thomas dropped that mark and was thrown to the ground i'll never know.

Our objective??? Or YOUR objective???

Look until you win when the team is supposed to the team has shown nothing, absolutely nothing!!

Fact is we have a few more talented players like Vlas but really to win your members you have to show something, not go through the motions and rely on kids having the first game.

If everybody had a crack like S Morris there would not be a problem.

Fact is if RFC do not make the 8 by 2014 heads will probably roll.

Based on tonight I think we are a good chance not to make the 8 in 2013, is that your objective or the clubs objective??? It seems to me, when some have to stand up and be counted, unlike Vlas, they do not have the nerve, or they lack confidence!!! These losses will not improve their nerve either!! You have to have dessert every now and then to keep the boys going. We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves relying on making the 8 this year.

Looking at a gift horse in the mouth just demonstrates arrogance if we didn't want to win!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Official NAB Cup RD1 v Melbourne & North

Remove this Banner Ad

Back