Official Club Stuff Official: Tom Boyd officially a Bulldog for Griffen & Pick 6

Remove this Banner Ad

that forward line stringer crammers boyd hrovat hunter lukeyD loving it
i would love to see redpath in there, i reckon he has plenty to offer especially playing second key position. From watching him in the vfl, he chases, works hard and makes a big contest everytime. I reckon there is a big opportunity there if he wants to take it.

I nearly fell off my chair when I heard the trade went through. About 30 minutes later it nearly happened again when I heard the size of the contract. If reports are true that the deal is $7 mill over 7 years then that puts it almost into the Ablett/Franklin stratosphere. Did we really have to offer a 19 year old that much? I better buy an extra membership next year!

Always smiles and says hello to my boys. Happy enough but in all honesty (and of course easy in hindsight) just never really looked like he wanted to be there......and if you've seen where they player their neafl games and how many people turn up, you'd understand why. There's literally anywhere between 50-100 people there.
Thanks for that.

I get the feeling (from Jeremy Cameron's tweet) that Cameron and Boyd perhaps didn't see eye to eye.

Still having trouble with how much we paid. Kid has obvious potential, but at this point that's all it is.
Can't shake the feeling that we've given a seven year multi-million dollar contract, our former captain and bonafide top 10 AFL player who still has 5-6 years left, and a likely quality player (pick 6) for a big 19 yr old kid who's played 9 games to middling success.
Seems we've sold the farm for magic beans, hopefully we end up with a beanstalk and golden goose, rather than just some dirty old beans.

Probably been said a million times.

Suss trade. just passable.
Ridiculous contract. Just madness. Could be a massive handbrake for you guys in a few years.
Easy to say when you pick up your key position bohemith as a father son pick. You really can't comment unless you have lived in a Bulldogs shoes for as long as most of us ( and I am only a relatively recent convert suffering with a small fwd line for the past 15 years excl a couple with big bad bustling).

While it is a bit of a risk I would rather my club have a crack than just continue to sit there and take it up the rear end from all the other rich and expansion clubs and get stuck in mediocrity.

I applaud the Bulldogs for standing up and saying stuff you all to the rest of the competition. I look fwd to seeing you back here in a few years time when Boyd is unstoppable and taking lace out passes from Macrae, Bonts, Stringer and Libba as we make our way to the top end of the ladder.

Still having trouble with how much we paid. Kid has obvious potential, but at this point that's all it is.
Can't shake the feeling that we've given a seven year multi-million dollar contract, our former captain and bonafide top 10 AFL player who still has 5-6 years left, and a likely quality player (pick 6) for a big 19 yr old kid who's played 9 games to middling success.
Seems we've sold the farm for magic beans, hopefully we end up with a beanstalk and golden goose, rather than just some dirty old beans.
Don't know many premiership teams without a superstar big key position player, they are that rare you probably do have to buy the magic beans and hope for the best.

Couldn't waste a perfectly good stubby holder

stubbyh.jpg

Don't know many premiership teams without a superstar big key position player, they are that rare you probably do have to buy the magic beans and hope for the best.
There have been many without superstar key position forwards, much less without superstar midfields and backlines.
We still have more holes in our list than a piece of swiss cheese.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's so we can pay the minimum cap next year who gives a ****. Love how all those GWS campaigners all thought he was taking a pay cut. No he wasn't you absolute ****wits.

What great f.....g news, a win for our club in so many ways. I know some of us would have liked a little something extra coming back our way but you can't under estimate what an achievement this is.... We beat several clubs to the punch who were counting the days until Boyd came out of contract and caught them napping... We even caught GWS with their pants down around their ankles and stole one of their brightest untouchable stars from underneath their noses...

Only just read about the deal just this moment and I couldn't agree more with your sentiments. Well put. Really hope it works out.

Legally we can only pay it for the term of our contract with him I believe. So it'll be a salary dump next year and then he's off our cap. We literally needed to do that to be able to pay the cap

If we wait until the potential is realised, it is too late. Risk-reward.
I do not think that Griffen has 5-6 years left and he was a long way off top 10 AFL this year, although he was thereabouts the previous year.
This time we have finally recruited a really young key forward who has not already been used up and spat out by another club.
e.g. Daniel Bandy, Jade Rawlings, Andrew McDougall, Kingsley Hunter, Allen Jakovich, Simon Minton-Connell, Richard Osborne, James Cook, Scott Welsh, etc.

Very strange. That doesn't sound right at all. You'd have thought they would've mentioned it in more detail during the article.

You've summarised Geelong acquiring Stanley well, I agree. wrong thread though
Cats haven't done a crazy contract with Stanley.
And yes, that is suss too.

Sorry guys. This is the biggest risk in AFL history.
Some thought Franklin was...

It would be silly to say there is no risk, but i really do think it is low risk that Boyd wont be at least a very good KPF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back