Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

Come to think of it, Butters did cop a heavy hit against Freo inside our forward 50 late in that game. Stayed hunched over for quite a while.

Ginnever (I think it was) last night said he had heard murmors that Zac copped a rib injury v Freo late.

So did they jab him up and it wore off... or did he carry it in and it got worse with an other hit.

Because he was injured early in the game or even against freo 2 weeks prior…

Yep, you only need to watch the clip above to know it was in the Freo game that he copped it.

Wonder if Colin Cowdrey left behind the padding he wore for facing Lillee and Thommo back in the day?

Rib injuries suck. Every time you breathe they hurt. If it's an intercostal muscle that's playing up he's going to be in a lot of discomfort for a few weeks until one day he wakes up and it doesn't hurt any more.
yeah 100% correct, the whole bloody ribcage moves upwards and downwards as we inhale and exhale, when playing footy which is highly aerobic it would be very uncomfortable.

he shouldnt of played ovbiously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have seen plenty of cases where my patients have cracked ribs but they could not be seen on X-ray. Better off having a bone scan which would show increased signals of bone uptake which is a sign of a fracture.

The Butters injury appears fairly obvious that it occurred at the end of the Freo game. My gripe with this is why wasn't he even listed on the injury report? Not only has the Club mismanaged an injury (AGAIN), there are serious issues with not reporting an injured player considering the amount of money that is waged with the various betting companies.

In this instance the bookies won't mind because they would have cleaned up given Geelong won - but if the shoe was on the other foot they'd be rightly livid.

Note: edited to say bone scan instead of dexa scan.

Last edited:
I have seen plenty of cases where my patients have cracked ribs but they could not be seen on X-ray. Better off having a dexa scan which would show increased signals of bone uptake which is a sign of a fracture.

The Butters injury appears fairly obvious that it occurred at the end of the Freo game. My gripe with this is why wasn't he even listed on the injury report? Not only has the Club mismanaged an injury (AGAIN), there are serious issues with not reporting an injured player considering the amount of money that is waged with the various betting companies.

In this instance the bookies won't mind because they would have cleaned up given Geelong won - but if the shoe was on the other foot they'd be rightly livid.
Interesting, thanks for clearing everything up, i was curious as to why he needed more scans and that.

If u dont mind me asking what do u do for work?

I have seen plenty of cases where my patients have cracked ribs but they could not be seen on X-ray. Better off having a dexa scan which would show increased signals of bone uptake which is a sign of a fracture.

I agree in hindsight that that’s where the initial injury most likely comes from but given nothing had been made of it at the time I don’t have an issue with the club not listing it as it draws attention to it running into a final. It’s a lot easier to play with an injury like that if the oppo don’t know you have it.

That being said I know the afl rules suggest it should be declared.

I'm half with you on that, but it's not the first final where Zac has shown very little. Fingers crossed for the future.
his only played 3 finals whilst being good and being a midfielder.

vs brisbourne has 29 and 8 tackles or something off the top of my head
vs gws had 25 and played pretty poor

low sample size.

his only played 3 finals whilst being good and being a midfielder.

vs brisbourne has 29 and 8 tackles or something off the top of my head
vs gws had 25 and played pretty poor

low sample size.

Against Brisbane last year, 29 disposals but from memory not many of those were very effective, and he kicked a total of zero points.

Against GWS, 25 touches, for one 1 point.

He's not alone, Rozee was shit too, as well as most of the team, and of course Kenny Donuts pulling the strings.

Weird comment given he's just been voted back to back bravest player in the league by his peers. Clearly played injured last night.
Upon reflection, you're right. I withdraw and delete my post.

I'm not usually one to go hard at players, every one of them are tougher and braver than I ever was. I was just still seething at the lack of effort last night.

No chance he plays next week i’d say. The vision from the game was damning, he was barely tackled and struggled getting up hunched over.

No chance he plays next week i’d say. The vision from the game was damning, he was barely tackled and struggled getting up hunched over.
There was a point where he kicked the ball forward and a Geelong player sniped him late right in the chest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back