Player Watch Pick #14 (2019) - Miles Bergman

Remove this Banner Ad

He was copping some criticism for his kicking earlier this year but I think he’s pretty good with ball in hand - he has a low fast and penetrating kick - might just need to improve the vision a little but the technique is all good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bergman's agent was on the latest Gettable episode. FWIW, he said its " hard for Miles to even contemplate leaving what they're building at Port Adelaide". And that there's no chance he leaves this year. Also sounded like they'll sit down for talks with Jason Cripps but can't help but think that would be for another extension?

One thing that fans need not worry about is Port's internal value of Miles. They rate him as highly as their top blue chip youngsters (Rozee, Butters, JHF etc).

If he ever does decide to leave it won't be because the Club have lowballed him in contract negotiations.

Bergman's agent was on the latest Gettable episode. FWIW, he said its " hard for Miles to even contemplate leaving what they're building at Port Adelaide". And that there's no chance he leaves this year. Also sounded like they'll sit down for talks with Jason Cripps but can't help but think that would be for another extension?
Perhaps another 2 year extension to take him to free agency and then the flood gates will open with offers from Victoria potentially. Hopefully Port's premiership window stays open for a very LONG time so that Bergman never contemplates leaving Port until he retires.

One thing that fans need not worry about is Port's internal value of Miles. They rate him as highly as their top blue chip youngsters (Rozee, Butters, JHF etc).

If he ever does decide to leave it won't be because the Club have lowballed him in contract negotiations.

Glad to hear he’s valued internally, I wish we had a couple of Miles in the team. He’s just so versatile, I could also see him playing as a roaming forward in the Cameron mould.
I think one of the reasons that he’s not rated externally is that he is listed as a midfielder and his stats/ranking points are based against other midfielders. The AFL world base their commentary on statistics where the eye test is far more informative. I would like to know (if possible) what is positional ranking would be if his performances were based as a general defender or key position defender.

Take a look at C4's post on the Carlton board.

He says that Bergman is very happy in Adelaide.

Melbourne approached Bergman after Port bombed out in the finals last year.

At the moment, there is an argument that shifting Bergman has turned him into a Top 5 player at the club.

I love him as the 3rd tall, especially with Logan, but it would be nice to see him get some midfield minutes next year and see what he can do.
I wouldn't be entirely surprised if that is why we were chasing Perryman even when we thought Houston was staying. Perhaps to allow Bergman and Perryman to rotate through midfield while allowing Rozee and JHF to spend more time up forward.

I don’t understand why we don’t just accept for the next year that he is an elite hybrid defender who makes the rest of the side much better when he plays in that role. Let’s leave him there.
More than happy to leave him there permanently, but I think he'd eventually like to move into the midfield.

More than happy to leave him there permanently, but I think he'd eventually like to move into the midfield.
He has shown to be an elite 3rd tall and can play on Jeremy Cameron or a smaller player which makes him really versatile but yeah, it wouldn't surprise me as well Miles personally wanted to play midfield.

If we had another guy put his hand up for 3rd tall like McCallum, it would be interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #14 (2019) - Miles Bergman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back