Toast Pick 38 - Welcome to Hawthorn, Dayle Garlett

Remove this Banner Ad

Call me a grumpy pedantic old man if you like but what is it with plurals these days. Why throw in an apostrophe which marks the possessive case eg the baby's pram or the pit bull's bone
The plural of baby is babies......no apostrophe . The plural of pit bull is pit bulls ....no apostrophe

How about some question marks or a comma before your conjunction?? ;)

I'm too young to remember Platten or his number. Deepest apologies
Platten would get about 35 free kicks per game if he played today such is the interpretation on contact above the shoulders. Back then you earned kicks & he was a bloody hard worker.

Not know the Rat?!!?
Get some viewing in and get edu-ma-cated you young whippersnapper!!

I'm now feeling old.
Lol
Of course I know who he is haha, I've watched the '89 grand final DVD a million times. It's just that he retired when I was 5-6 so I don't remember seeing him in the flesh.

Nothing wrong with that, but let me introduce you to one of our greatest players:

1. Margarey medallist: when the SANFL was a strong competition and the medal meant something.
2. Brownlow medallist
3. Four premierships
4. Best/worst hairstyle ever.

And a really down-to-earth, nice bloke.

P.s. If you remember him from the 1989 Grand Final, that would have been in the first 5 minutes, before Hocking "accidentally" connected with Platt's head, concussing him. He was off for the rest of the game.

Does this mean Garlett will be known as the mouse? Thinking along the same brain patterns as teammates here. Of which I'm certainly not one. Just a BF poster spending my time idling away on the internets thing.

But seriously, how about that 2km time trial, hey? ;) Sometimes I amaze even myself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you missed out on 1 of the best footballers ever to play for the Hawks

also the nicest bloke you'll ever meet, i was a dopey 12 year old and he made time for me to sign a bunch of playing cards and have a chat...kind've the opposite to Dunstall in personality lol

you missed out on 1 of the best footballers ever to play for the Hawks

also the nicest bloke you'll ever meet, i was a dopey 12 year old and he made time for me to sign a bunch of playing cards and have a chat...kind've the opposite to Dunstall in personality lol
Untaggable. Cats had to revert to thuggery in 89 GF to take him out of the game. He was a freak. Same output every single week. Best bit was him getting a free car from carlton as a sign on incentive then signed with us!! Absolute legend.

Don't apologise for being young, I wish I were again! ;-)

Seriously though, he was seriously good, grab some old footage of him and you'll not regret it. As a 5 times all Australian he has a right to be considered one of the best smalls to play the game.

Mate you missed a ripper.

Could run all day, could get in and get his own ball,was always at the bottom of packs.

In my best 10 Hawks I have seen.

As good as he was, I don't recall him starring in a gf, can anyone correct me?

Nothing wrong with that, but let me introduce you to one of our greatest players:

1. Margarey medallist: when the SANFL was a strong competition and the medal meant something.
2. Brownlow medallist
3. Four premierships
4. Best/worst hairstyle ever.

And a really down-to-earth, nice bloke.

P.s. If you remember him from the 1989 Grand Final, that would have been in the first 5 minutes, before Hocking "accidentally" connected with Platt's head, concussing him. He was off for the rest of the game.
Still one of the biggest dog acts I've seen. "Accidently" stamping was like Lloyd "accidently" breaking Thurgood's jaw.

Though Whitten deliberately cuffing Platten around the head during the medal presentation wasn't a great idea.

As good as he was, I don't recall him starring in a gf, can anyone correct me?
I reckon his best was his first in 1986.

R
Mate you missed a ripper.

Could run all day, could get in and get his own ball,was always at the bottom of packs.

In my best 10 Hawks I have seen.

Dermott Brereton rated Platts as the best Hawthorn player in his era.

Better than Dunstall, Buckenara, Ayres, Langford, Knights, Mew and even the great Leigh Matthews.

That's all you need to know.

R

Dermott Brereton rated Platts as the best Hawthorn player in his era.

Better than Dunstall, Buckenara, Ayres, Langford, Knights, Mew and even the great Leigh Matthews.

That's all you need to know.
Don't add Lethal to that list
The rider for Derm and his assessment of Leigh was he only played with Leigh at the end of his career, so he wouldn't judge Lethal

But as for a player he played the majority of his career with, John Platten was his number 1!

One of only 3? Brownlow winners at Hawthorn. Got the ball to Dunstall 5+ a game.
4 Brownlow medalists at Hawthorn:

1949 Col Austin (awarded medal retrospectively as back then the player with most BOGs was the winner)
1986 Robert Dipierdomenico (tied with Greg Williams)
1987 John Platten (tied with Tony Lockett)
1999 Shane Crawford

Toast Pick 38 - Welcome to Hawthorn, Dayle Garlett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back