List Mgmt. Pick your Round 1 team for 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a rolling team going which I seem to update in my head almost daily. This is currently what I have:

B: Toovey, Brown, Maxwell
HB: Williams, Keefe, Young
C: Lumumba, Swan, Beams
HF: Adams, White, Fasolo
F: Elliott, Cloke, Reid

R: Grundy, Pendlebury, Ball

I: Macaffer, Sidebottom, Blair, Kennedy

A lot of unlucky players there like Goldsack and Josh Thomas.

This week I have brought in Kennedy over Tony Armstrong and just opted to use guys like Young, O'Brien, Sidebottom etc to generate run out of defence.

Thought Kennedy was fantastic last night.

At quarter time I also had Freeman in the side as well.

307657-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

I was hoping no one would see that ;)

Edited, like a second after your post! Forgot to add our gun little recruit :) All fixed now.

I have a rolling team going which I seem to update in my head almost daily. This is currently what I have:

This week I have brought in Kennedy over Tony Armstrong and just opted to use guys like Young, O'Brien, Sidebottom etc to generate run out of defence.

Josh Thomas > Blair Kennedy a better sub option than Blair IMO Frost played alot better than Keefe last night ??

I like the thinking and believe it will be pretty close to the mark. With a couple of exceptions
  1. I think they will take a conservative route with Tooves and bring him back through the VFL and ditto for Fasolo as well.
  2. I think Dwyer will come in for Fas, and Sack for Tooves
Other than that I like the balance in the team. Would really have like Broomhead to have played Rd 1 but that's not going to happen now :(

Our best 22:
FB: Toovey Brown Keeffe
HB: Maxwell Reid Williams
C: Lumumba Adams Young
HF: Swan White Sidebottom
FF: Elliot Cloke Kennedy
F: Grundy Pendlebury Beams
I: Ball Goldsack Macaffer Sub: Fasolo

Very strong team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can add Williams to that list.. thought he provided plenty of dash. Sidebottom in the back half could almost be a permanent move in the early stages of the year. He adds a little more experience and class to the back six and i think the midfield scene could get a little crowded this year.

I feel that Goldsack might struggle to get a regular game this year. Just cant see who he pushes out

You can add Williams to that list.. thought he provided plenty of dash. Sidebottom in the back half could almost be a permanent move in the early stages of the year. He adds a little more experience and class to the back six and i think the midfield scene could get a little crowded this year.

I feel that Goldsack might struggle to get a regular game this year. Just cant see who he pushes out
The Sack is entering his 8th year at the club, for 104 games & turns 27 in May.
He has never been a lock for selection in the best 22, however does provide great flexibility, has a big heart & fantastic attitude.
Will still have a role to play this year (maybe 10-14 games).

The Sack is entering his 8th year at the club, for 104 games & turns 27 in May.
He has never been a lock for selection in the best 22, however does provide great flexibility, has a big heart & fantastic attitude.
Will still have a role to play this year (maybe 10-14 games).

Could not agree more MML, but the latter part of your comment is more what I was referring to: he is a role player. More fittingly, he's a role player that will be used to fill gaps this season when players are injured. Entering his 8th year and not being a best 22 player doesnt bode well for him in the long run.. or even this season when everyone is fit.

Yeah I like your team, only a cpl of changes from mine... Fasolo: think he will be given time in the VFL to get some form, and Thomas in. Still not convinced with Young, so have Sidebottom on the back flank to provide run.

HB: Williams, Keeffe, Sidebottom
HF: Adams, Cloke, Kennedy
F: Elliott, Reid, White

I: Macaffer, Young, Thomas, Blair

Sub: Sinclair

Our best 22:
FB: Toovey Brown Keeffe
HB: Maxwell Reid Williams
C: Lumumba Adams Young
HF: Swan White Sidebottom
FF: Elliot Cloke Kennedy
F: Grundy Pendlebury Beams
I: Ball Goldsack Macaffer Sub: Fasolo

Very strong team.

I definitely agree that Reid needs to start down back. We have already bolstered our forward line capability and I am not confident that Keeffe is completely ready to take on that role as yet. Obviously if our defense can stack up well and/or if we're struggling up forward you'd consider sending Reid forward but to me it isn't his starting position.

With injuries our 22 will defiantly not be our best, this 22 is taking injuries into account
FB: Tony Armstrong, Nathan Brown, Jack Frost
HB: Marley Williams, Lachlan Keffe, Ben Sinclair
C: Heritier Lumumba, Dayne Beams, Clinton Young
HF: Taylor Adams, Travis Cloke, Alex Fasolo
F: Jamie Elliot, Ben Reid, Jesse White
Foll: Brodie Grundy, Scott Pendlebury, Dane Swan
Bench: Luke Ball, Brent Macaffer, Steele Sidebottom
Sub/ Ben Kennedy(could easily be 1 of Elliot or Fasolo)

Hopefully Marley will be able to play, if he wont be able to it would be a huge blow as hes our best run and carry player. Armstrong looks like hes a strong chance to play after a 22 quality disposal game against cats and having injuries down be he would be hoping to get a game. Sinclair should be ready by round 1 and i rate his shutdown ability. Jack Frost is 1 i defiantly want playing round 1 if Reid is starting forward, im just not sure if he will be able to play if we chose to upgrade hudson instead of him.
Id play Williams on Walters, Sinclair a shutdown role on Ballantyne(who is half the player Walters is, but he might get inside Marleys head). Brown on Pavlich and Keeffe on Gumbleton(i expect him to play). That leaves Mayne and Armstrong which worries me, maybe to have Sinclair playing a shutdown role on Mayne and Armstrong to play a loose role off of Ballantyn may be the best bet. Frost to float around the back half and intercept spoil/mark the contests, his direct opponant would be Sandilands/other ruckman, usually suited to a shutdown role but if he can pick up 15-20 disposals i would have him as our 3rd tall every week. This backline doesnt look all that strong so to win we may have to play a high scoring game or have our midfield defeat freos midfield(think us vsing sydney late last year).

Our midfield is a strong as it could be in our current situation, Lumumba, Young, Adams, Beams, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Swan, Ball, Macaffer, Fasolo, Elliot and Williams all to play parts of the game in the middle whether it be for 5 minutes or the whole time and whether it be am Inside game or an outside game. The mids will have to pick up alot of disposals(Adams, Beams, Sidebottom, Pendles, Swan, Ball 25+ each) and kick decent amount of goals.

The forward line looks very good on paper and Whites 5 goal game against Geelong makes it even more potent knowing we have 5 players capable of kicking 5+ goals in one game(Reid, Cloke, White, Elliot, Fasolo). If we are to win Reid and Cloke have to be on there game, atleast 3 goals each. White has to stop Michael Johnsons rebounding/intercepting and make him fear every time he runs off of him, if he can score 1-2-3 goals, stop Michael Johnson to do as he pleases and pick up 10 hitouts it would be a very good start for his Magpies debut. Fasolo and Elliot, if they can kick 4 goals between them, Cloke and Reid kick 3 each and White to kick 1-2-3 goals then thats about 12 goals between our forward line and plus our goal kicking mids we could kick even more, obviously this is easier said than done.
Mids need to beat Freos, Forwards need to be on there game, thats my theory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Langdon, Brown, Toovey
HB: Young, Keefe, Williams
HF: White, Cloke, Fasolo
FF: Elliot, Reid, Kennedy
C: Grundy, Pendels, Beams
Bench: Ball, Adams, Steele
Sub: JT

Last edited:
F: Elliot Cloke Reid
HF: Sidebottom White Kennedy
C: Adams Ball Beams
HB: Young Keeffe Lumamba
B: Maxwell Brown ??????
R: Grundy Pendlebury Swan

I: Macaffer ? ? ?

Question marks over the fitness of Blair Sinclair Fasolo Toovey Dywer Thomas heading into round 1 which is a concern, plus question marks over whether williams will play. Imo there are 4 spots up for grabs and all of the guys with niggles plus Langdon and Goldsack will fight for them

Wouldnt mind seeing Langdon in the back pocket in round 1. Seems composed, good decision maker and uses the ball well.

True but still so much water to go under the bridge, will Williams play? Will Sinclair be available? How is Toovey tracking?

He seems a handy type though and a great attitude

True but still so much water to go under the bridge, will Williams play? Will Sinclair be available? How is Toovey tracking?

In the first half of the year with our defense all over the place we may start the season like 2003 win/loss ratio about 50/50, hopefully with players coming back from injury and if they can gel together the second half of 2014 can be like the second half of 2003(without the grandfinal).

FB: Maxwell, Brown, Toovey
HB: Young, Keefe, Sinclair
C: Lumumba, Swan, Sidebottom
HF: White, Cloke, Fasolo
FF: Elliot, Reid, Kennedy
C: Grundy, Pendles, Beams
Bench: Ball, Adams, Macaffer
Sub: Langdon

Last edited:

Yeah true, hoping Williams will be playing! Making a statement on field
Bring on round 1 already!

Brown Reid Harry
Kennedy Maxwell Williams
Ball Beams Sidebottom
Elliott White McCaffer
Blair Cloke Adams

Hudson Pendlebury Swan

Grundy Thomas Young sub Toovey.

Fasolo back through the reserves.
Hoping Thomas and Blair are right to go.
Williams will be there.
Hudson almost a necessity now after Grundy couldn't handle Richmond second string ruckman.
Armstrong delisted.
Keeffe not playing for mine.

With injuries our 22 will defiantly not be our best, this 22 is taking injuries into account
FB: Tony Armstrong, Nathan Brown, Jack Frost
HB: Marley Williams, Lachlan Keffe, Ben Sinclair
C: Heritier Lumumba, Dayne Beams, Clinton Young
HF: Taylor Adams, Travis Cloke, Alex Fasolo
F: Jamie Elliot, Ben Reid, Jesse White
Foll: Brodie Grundy, Scott Pendlebury, Dane Swan
Bench: Luke Ball, Brent Macaffer, Steele Sidebottom
Sub/ Ben Kennedy(could easily be 1 of Elliot or Fasolo)

Hopefully Marley will be able to play, if he wont be able to it would be a huge blow as hes our best run and carry player. Armstrong looks like hes a strong chance to play after a 22 quality disposal game against cats and having injuries down be he would be hoping to get a game. Sinclair should be ready by round 1 and i rate his shutdown ability. Jack Frost is 1 i defiantly want playing round 1 if Reid is starting forward, im just not sure if he will be able to play if we chose to upgrade hudson instead of him.
Id play Williams on Walters, Sinclair a shutdown role on Ballantyne(who is half the player Walters is, but he might get inside Marleys head). Brown on Pavlich and Keeffe on Gumbleton(i expect him to play). That leaves Mayne and Armstrong which worries me, maybe to have Sinclair playing a shutdown role on Mayne and Armstrong to play a loose role off of Ballantyn may be the best bet. Frost to float around the back half and intercept spoil/mark the contests, his direct opponant would be Sandilands/other ruckman, usually suited to a shutdown role but if he can pick up 15-20 disposals i would have him as our 3rd tall every week. This backline doesnt look all that strong so to win we may have to play a high scoring game or have our midfield defeat freos midfield(think us vsing sydney late last year).

Our midfield is a strong as it could be in our current situation, Lumumba, Young, Adams, Beams, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Swan, Ball, Macaffer, Fasolo, Elliot and Williams all to play parts of the game in the middle whether it be for 5 minutes or the whole time and whether it be am Inside game or an outside game. The mids will have to pick up alot of disposals(Adams, Beams, Sidebottom, Pendles, Swan, Ball 25+ each) and kick decent amount of goals.

The forward line looks very good on paper and Whites 5 goal game against Geelong makes it even more potent knowing we have 5 players capable of kicking 5+ goals in one game(Reid, Cloke, White, Elliot, Fasolo). If we are to win Reid and Cloke have to be on there game, atleast 3 goals each. White has to stop Michael Johnsons rebounding/intercepting and make him fear every time he runs off of him, if he can score 1-2-3 goals, stop Michael Johnson to do as he pleases and pick up 10 hitouts it would be a very good start for his Magpies debut. Fasolo and Elliot, if they can kick 4 goals between them, Cloke and Reid kick 3 each and White to kick 1-2-3 goals then thats about 12 goals between our forward line and plus our goal kicking mids we could kick even more, obviously this is easier said than done.
Mids need to beat Freos, Forwards need to be on there game, thats my theory.
That might be the worst backline all of the clubs in the afl today. You've got Frost Armstrong Keeffe and Sinclair? I quiver.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Pick your Round 1 team for 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back