Autopsy Pies go down to Hawks 101-67

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres going to be one forced change next week confirmed with Smith. We won't swing the axe. But if Blair is brought in then it's just done.

I was thinking about the clinch moments when a hero stands up and takes the game on a plucks the team out of the depths of despair aka defeat and I can barely remember these moments in the last few years. I’m not talking about a Grundy last moment goal but more a turn it on last quarter mongrel it out.

So then I turn to Pendles without having a knock but those stand up and be counted moments would I be right he misses more (relatively easy) crucial shots on goal at crucial times (like last night) than he nails. He’s not a Selwood, Ablett, Bonts, Hodge type it seems.

So, who is this player we would think could be our saviour in these moments? Do we genuinely have one?

Surely can’t be an ageing Wells (win stats last year vs losses). Is it JDG? Who stands up?
Yep Pendles is a poor set shot. Most of his goals have come on the run particularly from further out. It’s unfortunate but he has never really improved this part of his game.
Pendles won’t be a permanent forward. He doesn’t have the goal nous. He’s alsonone speed. He tried to play off half back and didn’t go well at all. Despite him being one of our greats for the last 12years he doesn’t seem to have enough versatility to be thrown around and his performance with injury has been found wanting. I will give him the benefit of the doubt for one bad performance in the middle but not for round the ground, missing kicks or as captain.
Never should have been made captain again either. That is another mistake by the club.

Because he came from behind the contest....used to be a 50m penalty for that.

There was a free kick (advantage) paid to us where our player was tackled to the ground after hand balling to another player taking him out of the next play. Wasn't a 50 metre penalty meant to be applied to stop professional free kicks slowing the play?

There is potential for much better

Of course there is, has been for years - in fact ever since the "succession plan" but it will never be realised. For a myriad of reasons we can't unlock the potential. Rinse and repeat, same old same old. I've learnt now not to hold hope because it's pointless.

My amber haze last night may have affected my recognition skills but you may be right. And yes indeed that chopping was ridiculous. My Hawk mate sitting next to me agreed 100% so it wasn't just a one-eyed problem.

Like I said it doesn't justify a terrible performance but it does make the game so frustrating to watch.

What about the downfield paid against Treloar for bumping Mitchell in the motion of kicking that affected the kick but was paid for late contact for a shot on goal inside 50?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know, the more positive posters that continually bemoan and attack the more negative posters will once again be grimacing reading this thread.

Let me just say on behalf of my constituents that we’re not upset about a loss. It’s not the loss that’s the issue. Teams lose and no one expected an undefeated season in 2018.

But Carlton lost by a similar margin but I doubt most of their supporters are that upset.

Why? Because at least Carlton supporters saw something different from 2017. They saw a direction. They saw a plan. They saw a blueprint for a brand that will be played from here on out.

All Collingwood supporters saw was the same shit from the last few years. Thats the problem we have.

If we lost but saw sone kind of improvement, it wouldn’t be an issue.
But we did see something different, a few of those goals we butchered were hot off tbe press, i've never seen the likes of that before, tbe biggest highlight for me was Maynard (how anyone rates this hack is beyond me) decided to go for an 11 metre pass under no pressure down the corridor deep on our defensive 50, to a 1 on 1!

The sooner Ed goes the better, Buckley will be sacked when the new president takes over.

You'll either be disappointed or given hope only to be disappointed further down the track. No point in holding any hope.
Not giving up on the season after round 1. Too many individuals played sub par games, before even looking at the systems in place. Not going to win the game with the number of fumbles last night.

Not giving up on the season after round 1. Too many individuals played sub par games, before even looking at the systems in place. Not going to win the game with the number of fumbles last night.

And if things turn around then questions need to be asked of last night then doesn't it? It looks highly probable that we're going to be disappointed again this year - again.

And if things turn around then questions need to be asked of last night then doesn't it? It looks highly probable that we're going to be disappointed again this year - again.
We'll play out of our skins against the better teams because there's no pressure on us, then we'll lose the games we should win.

Absolutely. Not going to make an excuse for last night. The skills were deplorable. We aren't a highly skilled team overall, but we are far better than we showed last night. Players fumbling and dropping the ball in space or under minimal pressure is inexcusable at this level.

Absolutely. Not going to make an excuse for last night. The skills were deplorable. We aren't a highly skilled team overall, but we are far better than we showed last night. Players fumbling and dropping the ball in space or under minimal pressure is inexcusable at this level.

Why is that? Development? In fact, why is that even allowed - our f***** shithouse skills? This is the highest level of football, there is no other and yet Gil allows us to continue as a basketcase!? The biggest sporting brand in the country is mired in mediocrity (punching above its weight) and the club carries on like "nothing to see here" WTF.

Unbelievable!

Of course there is, has been for years - in fact ever since the "succession plan" but it will never be realised. For a myriad of reasons we can't unlock the potential. Rinse and repeat, same old same old. I've learnt now not to hold hope because it's pointless.
I understand your frustration. However I don't agree that the potential can't be realized on a more consistent basis when I look back at games/quarters last season when everything clicked such as the first half against the Crows. I also doubt that you've abandoned all hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back