Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood 4 eternity

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting that we would get a day final first up

So we win that and we will get the weeks rest and then the Friday Preliminary final.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/pies-set-for-saturday-final-20110824-1jabd.html

THE AFL's desire to schedule Collingwood for a Friday night final in week one would be frustrated, with the Magpies set for a Saturday game if current ladder positions are maintained.

With the top four seemingly set in stone, the league's finals schedule now hinges on results at the other end of the final eight. If positions remain unchanged, Geelong will play Hawthorn on Friday night at the MCG, while Collingwood will meet West Coast the following afternoon at the same venue.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/pies-set-for-saturday-final-20110824-1jabd.html

I don't know about that - The Prelim against Adelaide in 2002 was one of the best atmospheres I've ever experienced... And then you have, you know, every Grand Final and Anzac Day game...

2002 preliminary was out of this world atmosphere wise. Apparently the chants could be heard during the tennis match at rod laver

Probably makes no sense at all considering we're 19-1 + only lost on a friday night...

.. But does anyone else think we play better during night games, than day??

Perhaps i am just dreaming + looking for things to be worried about lol

On the issue of fairness for WCE, stuff em

Friday night for mine. 7 day break for us, 6 day for them plus travel.

It's not in our interests to be fair, that's the AFL's job but they put out a flawed fixture each season, so it's all about the dollar.

You would think that Geelong v Hawthorn would be an ideal Saturday day match, and coupled nicely with Collingwood v WCE on the Friday, unless the Eagles somehow stuff up their rails run.

Carlton looks to have one of Sydney/Essendon/North/Saints as opponents. Again that seems perfect for a Sunday game.

The other game will have to make do on the Saturday night.

I too would prefer the day final.

Saturday arvo at the MCG, magpie army rocking in full voice, GFs are won on Saturday arvos, not Friday nights.

The day final just has that little bit more special feeling about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daytime for me: get the nerve-wracking stuff out of the way in the pm and then settle down for the evening with a decent bottle of red and the replay - and then ---- just wait for the nice warm glow to work its way through your system.

Daytime for me: get the nerve-wracking stuff out of the way in the pm and then settle down for the evening with a decent bottle of red and the replay - and then ---- just wait for the nice warm glow to work its way through your system.

Flattering west coast a bit?

Wouldn't the cats have to win by more than 20 goals?

The Swans never get smacked like that and i especially can't see it happening this week after the terrible events with McVeigh's child. They are a proud bunch of blokes.

I love day games, so much more then night games, especially when it comes to finals.

You wake up in the morning, look at the clock and now you are only hours away from being at the MCG to see the boys play, where as for a night game, you have to wait all bloody day for the game to start.

Saturday Arvo final please AFL, 8 day break after round 24, then a 13 day break leading into our Friday Night prelim, then another 8 day break till GF day.:D

Let's just worry about finishing top first.

If the Cats smash the Swans... possible.

And if we beat the Dockers in a similar way that we beat the Lions, then it wouldn't be impossible for Geelong to beat us by enough to get a better % than us.

If we win by around 10 goals this week, and let's say the Cats win by 100 over the Swans, then Geelong would then have to beat us by 90 points or so to over take us in the last round.

Yes it's still possible, but the only realistic way the Cats are finishing ahead of us is if we lose this week, which seems impossible now with Freo's injuries.

strong bump is this 100 percent gonna be during the day ?
how does it work
If I had to do a percentage guess, it would be;

Saturday Arvo = 70%
Friday Night = 25%
Saturday Night = 5%

It would be unfair to West Coast for them to have to fly back on the Sunday, so the game really has to be either Saturday arvo or Friday Night so they can fly back Saturday night at the latest.

I don't think the TV networks will push hard for our game anyway, as Hawks vs Cats and Blues/Bombers will be massive TV games too.

I think it will be Saturday Arvo, just seems fair to all parties involved.

yeh i've been to day and night finals they are both as good as each other.. as anyone received ticketing information yet.. last year we had to register for grand final tickets fairly early.. haven't heard a thing yet?

Is there any chance that we'll have to play at Etihad? Does one final have to be played there or can they all be at the MCG? If Sydney hosts St Kilda and Etihad does need to host a final then which one would it be out of Collingwood vs West Coast, Geelong vs Hawthorn, Carlton vs Essendon? I would think it would be us with West Coast the only non-Vic team. Sure hope not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies set for Saturday final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back