Pies vs Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies havent lost at Aami for years.

Is that actually your argument? Collingwood haven't lost at AAMI for a few years therefore victory is guaranteed? Crows hadn't won in Melbourne for years and looked what happened on Saturday.

Adelaide easy.. everything falling there way at the minute..easiest draw in the comp and playing half strength teams.

:rolleyes: Enough of the soft draw talk. We beat Sydney in Sydney, the premiers at home and Carlton by 12 goals in Melbourne.

And half strength teams? When? And please don't say Murphy. He was having zero impact on the game before he got injured, and would not have single handedly made up 12 goals.

I am more worried about this game more then I was about the Sydney, Geelong game.
That being said, I still think the Crows will win and it will be a cracker of a game.

Crows by 5 - 7 goals.

We've got the form and the talent to keep it going.

The Pies have too many good players out. I'd buy into that 'Collingwood play well at AAMI' spiel if it wasn't for the fact that they aren't going in with their best 22.

Even with Swan and Reid, Collingwood would've been underdogs IMO. Despite sitting 6-2, Collingwood haven't really hit form this year, whereas Adelaide are white-hot and at home.
Firstly, it's not just Reid and Swan that we're missing, you have to consider that our no 1, 2 and 3 KPD's are all out as well 2 of our top 3 mids in Ball and Swan. What effect that has had on form is arguable but it would be hard to argue that it's been sparkling compared to the Crows.

That said, given as near a guarantee as you'll get of 8 from a maximum of 8 points from 3 byes over the following 3 weeks I wouldn't be surprised to see Pendles and Jolly given a rest for this one. Our form and the injury toll doesn't warrant risking players who aren't 100%. I'm hoping our season proper kicks off sometime after round 12 and I'm pretty much conceding the Crows as a non-event in the bigger picture. How the two sides would fare with all players available (barring long term injured) is debatable and we will almost certainly have to wait until at least September to find out.

Firstly, it's not just Reid and Swan that we're missing, you have to consider that our no 1, 2 and 3 KPD's are all out as well 2 of our top 3 mids in Ball and Swan. What effect that has had on form is arguable but it would be hard to argue that it's been sparkling compared to the Crows.

That said, given as near a guarantee as you'll get of 8 from a maximum of 8 points from 3 byes over the following 3 weeks I wouldn't be surprised to see Pendles and Jolly given a rest for this one. Our form and the injury toll doesn't warrant risking players who aren't 100%. I'm hoping our season proper kicks off sometime after round 12 and I'm pretty much conceding the Crows as a non-event in the bigger picture. How the two sides would fare with all players available (barring long term injured) is debatable and we will almost certainly have to wait until at least September to find out.

Good post...

Not sure why people bring up long term injuries... Can't consider Macaffer/Ball/Krakouer as they all won't feature in September...

Pies missing Brown / Reid / B Johnson / Swan which is a much much bigger loss than just Taylor Walker...

Should be a ripper of a game and the odds are about right... Not sure why you don't consider us a threat come September... Understand the season is long, but we are odds on to finish top 4 and anything can happen from that spot...

Think Collingwood are the sleeping giant...

Anyone with a sound mind suggesting Collingwood should go in favourites, aren't of sound mind.

With our injuries, playing at AAMI, with the form Adelaide are in, I'd be surprised if we're any better than $2.50.

I normally love seeing the boys treat AAMI like a second home, but let's be honest here, we're going to get murdered.

The last three games Crows have gone is as underdogs at about $3. Will be interesting to see how they carry the tag of favourites.

Amazing to see so many Collingwood fans come out and play the injury card, even before the bounce! Good teams have depth and find a way to win regardless. If the excuse is x and y player is out, then it's the whole champion team vs team of champions dispute.

The better team will win and should be a cracking game! Preview of September action

Interesting stats

last 5 - collingwood 4 - adel 1 (won by 4 points)
even more impressive is the fact that collingwood have rarely lost to adel at ammi stadium since they came into the comp.. would say that collingwood have one of if not the best records playing adelaide at ammi stadium,.

head says tip adel but the heart says collingwood will get the chocolates again...

The last three games Crows have gone is as underdogs at about $3. Will be interesting to see how they carry the tag of favourites.

Amazing to see so many Collingwood fans come out and play the injury card, even before the bounce! Good teams have depth and find a way to win regardless. If the excuse is x and y player is out, then it's the whole champion team vs team of champions dispute.

The better team will win and should be a cracking game! Preview of September action
Were you born this way or did you have to study hard??? :rolleyes:

We are 3 KPB's down and 2 out of 3 prime midfielders down.

No team can cover such loses.

Grow up FFS :rolleyes:

Interesting stats

last 5 - collingwood 4 - adel 1 (won by 4 points)
even more impressive is the fact that collingwood have rarely lost to adel at ammi stadium since they came into the comp.. would say that collingwood have one of if not the best records playing adelaide at ammi stadium

Lucky we're playing at AAMI stadium this weekend then :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm expecting the Sold Out sign to go up at AAMI and given our recent poor record against the Pies I expect us to be up and about for this one

Crows at home for me against a under strength Collingwood

I'm expecting the Sold Out sign to go up at AAMI and given our recent poor record against the Pies I expect us to be up and about for this one

Crows at home for me against a under strength Collingwood
Crows deserve to be favourites but they will be up against a side that actually wants to put their heads over the footy this week so it won't be a walkover. I expect a close game, decided in the center.

Sorry, but having the worst injury list in the competition isn't something you should overlook so easily.

I'd love to take your best 3 backs, 2 of your best 4 mids, 2 of your crumbing forwards and a veteran half back flanker like Johncock out of your side and see how you guys go.

Let's see if you don't at least attribute part of your losses to such an injury list.

It's not like we're missing 1 or 2 players and crying injuries. We're missing a very very very large chunk of our side, and a big part of that chunk involves key position players.

Mind you, we we're exactly humiliated by Hawthorn, and we clearly had a shit nigth against a fullstrength Carlton.

But this whole bullshit about "Good sides have depth" is pissing me off, because no team in the AFL has 40 starting 22 quality players. Everyone's depth can only be so deep.

The only team that's used more players than we have is GWS.

Think about that for a second.

Sorry, but having the worst injury list in the competition isn't something you should overlook so easily.

I'd love to take your best 3 backs, 2 of your best 4 mids, 2 of your crumbing forwards and a veteran half back flanker like Johncock out of your side and see how you guys go.

Let's see if you don't at least attribute part of your losses to such an injury list.

It's not like we're missing 1 or 2 players and crying injuries. We're missing a very very very large chunk of our side, and a big part of that chunk involves key position players.

Mind you, we we're exactly humiliated by Hawthorn, and we clearly had a shit nigth against a fullstrength Carlton.

But this whole bullshit about "Good sides have depth" is pissing me off, because no team in the AFL has 40 starting 22 quality players. Everyone's depth can only be so deep.

The only team that's used more players than we have is GWS.

Think about that for a second.

Grant Thomas got StKilda to Prelims with worse injury lists than this and still copped heavy scrutiny from the media.

Grant Thomas got StKilda to Prelims with worse injury lists than this and still copped heavy scrutiny from the media.

Would love to see team sheets from those games. Because this sounds partly made up.

I've got a feeling its gonna be close and a Collingwood win by 10-20 points, or a complete wipeout with a confident Crows kicking away early.
The thing is, on paper Thomas, Pendlebury, Beams, Sidebottom, Wellingham and Blair is still a pretty decent midfield group. I would even dare say they would be rated higher than Thompson, Dangerfield, Sloane, Van Berlo, Mackay and Vince.
But it's the confidence thing, like if we were looking at this matchup in 6 weeks time I would be pretty sure that our above midfield group could match that Adelaide group, but the Crows are walking on water now so we will need to either shut them down early and bust that confidence, or suffer the consequences.
I think with Walker out our Key forwards are better than theirs, but with our key defenders out, the Crows defence looks better balanced.

Certainly if Pendles was to miss too, we would be in huge trouble, but if he is in then I can see us going the distance. We will need a big match from Cloke and it wouldn't hurt to see Didak return to the player he was in 2010. He doesn't mind the space of AAMI, easier to get some cheapies and set up play with his kicking.

From a Collingwood point of view on the matchups I'd love to see Daisy go with Dangerfield one on one. I reckon he would be the one player still in our side (Swanny could do it) that would be able to tackle Danger around stoppages and also make him worry about defending and gut running both ways.
Beams will go with Scott Thompson and they will both pick up a lot of possesions, the key will be which guy gets more clearances. Huge game needed from Beams, a narrow loss might be enough.
Shaw I would imagine, will run with Sloane, as he can follow him up field onto the wing and also down back.
Pendles and Van Berlo will go together, I am not too worried about this matchup as I think Pendles has enough nouse to still be a big factor. Van Berlo did shut Murphy out well, but he doesn't always collect a scalp and is not completely a shutdown player. Pendles is a lot bigger and stronger than Murphy and harder to tag.
Sidebottom will probably find himself up against Mackay and Sloane at times. He is absolutely killing it at the moment, and Sanderson might even consider a shut down role on him, but good luck, this guy does not stop running, and the big ground will suit him.

I'm guessing Clarke, Blair and Wellingham will be others to run through the midfield coming from down back and up forward, so its on the flanks that we might struggle. Which is another reason why we need a bug game from Didak. I'm not holding my breath though...
I've got a feeling we will know how this game is going to go in the first 15 minutes.

Sadly the Crows should get this done, we'll put a decent fight for most of the game but with our outs and their current form it will be tough. It would be a season defining victory if we somehow managed a win.

To put our outs in perspective if we swapped injury lists it would be something like:

Crows: Thompson, Dangerfield, Rutten, Talia, Doughty, Johncock, Porplyzia
Pies: Dawes (susp)

Sadly the Crows should get this done, we'll put a decent fight for most of the game but with our outs and their current form it will be tough. It would be a season defining victory if we somehow managed a win.

To put our outs in perspective if we swapped injury lists it would be something like:

Crows: Thompson, Dangerfield, Rutten, Talia, Doughty, Johncock, Porplyzia
Pies: Dawes (susp)

Who are you comparing Dangerfield to? Dawes is no way a match for the leading goal kicker in the AFL this year Dawes has three.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies vs Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back