Autopsy Pipped by 1 in a thriller!

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven’t been able to watch the game but I think, if we can come from that deficit to only lose by a point, there won’t be many opponents suddenly deciding we’re easybeats after all.

We didn’t quite make it this time, but I think we’re getting inside opposition heads to a Collingwood-like degree. Good.

I haven’t been able to watch the game but I think, if we can come from that deficit to only lose by a point, there won’t be many opponents suddenly deciding we’re easybeats after all.

We didn’t quite make it this time, but I think we’re getting inside opposition heads to a Collingwood-like degree. Good.

I’d rather be 20 points up and not lazy as can be in the first quarter though

We won’t get away with only playing for 3/4 in a final

The coaches votes were interesting to me, and Blakey receiving the maximum 10 is emblematic of our entire performance in a way, and a reminder of how a 10-vote game =/= a perfect game as the connotation often suggests.

Blakey's run and aggression was crucial to our comeback, and his goal was epic, but he was also part of the problem earlier on with his very suspect decision-making and just general lack of game sense or awareness.

McLean's contested marking and just overall competitiveness was awesome (deserved way more than 1 vote IMO) but as has been noted, he got beaten by his opponent late when it mattered.

Melican had his moments but was ultimately part of a back-line that conceded far too many goals, far too easily.

Rowbottom had a positive impact with the ball but we really needed one of his manic pressure games and we just didn't get it.

McInerney was on fire early but as the game wore on and the intensity lifted he faded.

Hayward & Wicks took their chances and kicked well but were mostly unsighted in a game that was crying out for more forward half pressure that they usually deliver.

So it wasn't all bad, but there was a lot of bad, and the good above wasn't good enough to make up for all the bad.

I watched the replay and, honestly, I just think this loss came down to uncharacteristically poor execution across the board. Lazy handballs and whiffed kicks by our midfielders primarily leading to breakdowns in play. Lizard may have been good in the second half but he was absolutely putrid in the first as was Warner, Gulden and Heeney. The clearance differential didn't help but we've overcome that deficit before because we are generally so punishing on turnovers. Not so on this occasion.

We also missed goals in the first half that you might normally pencil in: Jmac, Gulden, Papley on the run in the first. Warner and JMac in the second. This failure to execute continued all the way beyond the final siren. In reality we should have been going into the half time break only a goal down. Instead, we put unneeded pressure on ourselves (causing even more errors) and left our run too late.

Yet, despite all that, we only lost by a bullshit downfield free. I'd be more concerned if it was a case of not having enough chances rather than not taking them.

I thought Campbell was one of the few who was solid throughout and had some really important moments. I've always rated him and thought he showed real maturity. I hope he is finally allowed to build some continuity. McClean too was great in the three quarters but we focused our entries on him way too much in the last quarter instead of lowering our eyes. I blame our delivery into forward 50, not him. Wicks was lively and absolutely deserves his spot in our best 23.

A final note on the sub - Cleary was a non-entity. When Mills and Parker are available I think we should consider using this role to rest players rather than continuing to bring in fringe players from the VFL. Imagine Heeney, Warner, Gulden, Blakey coming on for a final quarter. For me, Fox is the ideal sub in our best 23 come finals but I'd like to see him given some full games at senior level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can dominate the three other quarters to the extent we do I am not sure a slow start in finals is any worse than a normal game.

Though we have tried giving big starts in grand finals before .

If you can dominate the three other quarters to the extent we do I am not sure a slow start in finals is any worse than a normal game.

Though we have tried giving big starts in grand finals before .
I don't feel like our starts over the last say 5-6 weeks have been worse than they were in the first 5-6 weeks. I think our opposition's starts over the last 5-6 weeks have been better than our opposition's starts were in the first 5-6 weeks. I think that's why it's now reflecting so much on the scoreboard and becoming a Problem™️

It suggests to me that the more dominant we've become and the higher up the ladder we've soared, the more teams are coming with a nothing-to-lose mentality against us.

Classic case of becoming the hunted. In that sense I think this will all be good practice for us. If we go into a GF as favourites for example like we did in 2014 & 2016, then we need to know how to prepare and start a game knowing the opposition will bring their best.

I was going to post that in the game day thread....it was almost like the cheating continued after the siren by putting Logan off his kick
Umpire was telling him not to play on off the mark. Logan seemed to ask him about it as well.

Instead of Logan, who generally is a decent kick, perhaps more needs to be said about Taylor Adams... he's absolutely putrid by foot, and blows a number of scoring chances a game.

I was perplexed when they said we were trading for him, and he hasn't changed my mind. A waste of salary cap!

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk
Decision making isn’t the best either. The weakest of our mids for sure.

I don’t blame him for missing, but he had to make sure to get a behind at least. He’s our key forward. That was a pathetic kick. He deserves to be blamed for it.
McLean is a better player than McD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back