Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love how they refer to Walls as a Premiership coach. Yep - a quarter of a century ago.

His achievements since have been...ordinary. As have his selections and predictions.

In 2005, Walls stated that "the Swans can't possibly win the Premiership under Paul Roos".

- In 2005 Sydney won the Premiership under Paul Roos.

In 2018, Walls tipped West Coast to finish bottom.

- In 2018 West Coast won the Premiership.

This is the guy Essendon want in charge of finding a new coach?

This only makes sense if they've already made their choice and want someone to rubber stamp it and be the fall guy if it fails. OR they want him to select from a short list of 2 and decide to run with whoever Walls doesn't pick.

They are getting EY to do their external review. Is that normal? I feel like most of these reviews are done by football people.
They would do lots of Corporate auditing. I'm sure the culture issues would apply just as much to a football club as any other business.
Much better option than your head of football getting their mates from Fox footy to come and do it. Or alternatively doing a global search to find the best person working 2 doors down

Rob Walls on an Essendon coaching selection panel, whilst Sheedy is on the board, is one of the funniest things I have ever heard in the AFL.

Is Paxman for Melbourne in AFLW any relation to Stephen Paxman

Rob Walls on an Essendon coaching selection panel, whilst Sheedy is on the board, is one of the funniest things I have ever heard in the AFL.

Yes, I don't reckon the back pocket plumber would've had much respect for Walls back in the day (or since).

Yes, I don't reckon the back pocket plumber would've had much respect for Walls back in the day (or since).

All this has taught me is that to have the best AFL career, you need the media on your side.

Very little difference between Choco and Roos' coaching careers, yet Choco is seen as abrasive and domineering whilst Roos got another coaching gig for being in the right boys club.

The scrutiny fell on Ross Lyon time and again whilst he was coach, with sexual misconduct allegations and that he was disloyal. Now he's gotten into the media and flexed his connections, and is now being lauded.

The whole industry is a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Southern Power (and The Fist) is still a thing!

View attachment 1492133
Haha Southern Power is less than 10 years old. Will have to dig around if they came about as a result of a merger.

North Sydney were a bit of joke when I lived in Sydney - one year they were top of the ladder, next wooden spooners for a couple of years and then back to the top.

They are now the biggest open age footy club in the land with 9 mens sides and 3 womens sides and a shitload of junior sides according to my mate whose son plays for them in their U/12s.

As a result of so many teams, and the fact Sydney councils shut down sports if there is more than 25mm of rain - my guess - on a Thursday and Friday they ban games so the turf doesnt turn into a bog, Gore Hill Oval has been an artifical turf oval for a few years now.

They drink so much of their own bathwater they must slosh when they walk.

Dawson was a great pick up.
There paying a massive premium for Rankine services.Probably around $200,000 overs per season.
Having said that good luck to Izak and his Manager for securing such a lucrative contract.

JHF? They're using a guy who has never given any indication that he wants to move to the Crows as evidence of their 'destination club' status?

Brodie Grundy, Josh Dunkley, JHF and Junior Rioli all 'potentially' want to move to Port too! Destination club!

Dawson was a great pick up.
There paying a massive premium for Rankine services.Probably around $200,000 overs per season.
Having said that good luck to Izak and his Manager for securing such a lucrative contract.
Can’t see $800k in a small forward who’s more cold that hot
Even more pointless after they spent pick 6 on Rachele.
Maybe they are trying out the Hinkley midget forward line cunning plan.
Even Ken’s giving up on that disaster.

Can’t see $800k in a small forward who’s more cold that hot
Even more pointless after they spent pick 6 on Rachele.
Maybe they are trying out the Hinkley midget forward line cunning plan.
Even Ken’s giving up on that disaster.
240 v there rookie drafting has been terrible.Slowing there rebuild.But they have bought some good established players to the club like Keys and Dawson+McAdam.
I think there a multiple of reasons Adelaide need Rankine at the club next year.

Last edited:
They drink so much of their own bathwater they must slosh when they walk.

Who is the last big name recruit they landed who wasn’t a dyed-in-the-wool Soufozzie or grew up a Crows fan?

Have they landed a big name ‘foreigner’, ever? Wayne Carey is borderline given his age and circumstances. As is Richie Tambling.

Contrast to your Montgomerys, Hardwicks, D. Motlops, Ryders, Dixons, Rockliffs, Aliirs.

Is it deliberate strategy or something deeper?

Who is the last big name recruit they landed who wasn’t a dyed-in-the-wool Soufozzie or grew up a Crows fan?

Have they landed a big name ‘foreigner’, ever? Wayne Carey is borderline given his age and circumstances. As is Richie Tambling.

Contrast to your Montgomerys, Hardwicks, D. Motlops, Ryders, Dixons, Rockliffs, Aliirs.

Is it deliberate strategy or something deeper?

A mate of mine once said to me their capacity for self-mythology is unparalleled. It's like they are continually trying to bring us around to their world view.

I mean possibly JHF, possible and 4 bucks will get you a cup of coffee.

PS tribey, how could you not include Watts on your list 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back