Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
458408463f40cc5d6130f69ead6daf2b

Just on Tarryn Thomas - is this the worst tattoo in the history of the world?
lol the spacing on the "i am who i am"

I traded Darcy Parish for him two years ago in my home keeper league.

Best call me liquorice because I’m in all sorts 🙃
I offered Dylan Moore for him last year and had it knocked back. The Lord is merciful.

I offered Dylan Moore for him last year and had it knocked back. The Lord is merciful.

Wowee. Bullet dodged.

In the same off-season I almost traded pre-midfield explosion Parish for would-be fantasy it-boy Damon Greaves, so it could be much much worse… barely-barely.

That Fitzroy’s 1916 premiership is the WOAT across any top flight sport:

• 4 team, 12 game interwar comp
• they took the spoon with a 2-1-9 record
• qualified for the 4-team finals series and bugger me, ran the table to win the flag

But most people don’t even know about it, lest care to write off its validity, makes all this hustle and bustle about relatively ancient history fairly comical.

Exactly.

There is no value in being a historically successful side, apart from the ability to market that to your own supporters. Trust me, i'm an Aston Villa supporter.

Essendon to their own are a big 4, record premierships giant of the game, to the rest of us they're the side that hasn't won a final in 7000 days.

If St Kilda won 10 flags in the 1900s - 1910s, things would be quite different, even if no history after 1920 changes.

Melbourne did win a stack of flags in a row in the middle of last century and then 40 years later almost merged and almost folded. Up until a couple of seasons ago, their reputation wasn't really much higher than St Kilda. Until they had the AFL swoop in and support them in a cultural change, they were miles off of it.

History is something you can sell your supporters if you've got it. If you want to be considered a great club by the wider football community, it's all about what have you done for me lately.

Our history does matter, to us. The club should be leaning on it and it should form the basis for how we do business. It doesn't though, it only gets utilised by the marketing department. If we want the rest of the world to care, we need to win a lot in the modern era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL’s education initiatives are excellent but it has to introduce harsher penalties for players facing serious allegations, a sexual and family violence advocacy group says. Full Stop Australia chief executive Hayley Foster said her organisation wanted to work with the AFL to help the league “send a strong message” to players that abusive and violent behaviour would not be tolerated.

It comes after North Melbourne’s Tarryn Thomas was stood down on Wednesday night after the AFL’s integrity unit notified the club of a fresh allegation of inappropriate behaviour against him.

Colin Carter was on 6PR last night trying to justify his push. "I was born in WA - I only started barracking for Geelong when Polly Farmer came over, blah, blah", but as soon as they raised WA and SA historical premierships (esp Port Adelaide), Carter was all "Ah, yeah, nah, we're talking about what was essentially the same competition in the VFA/VFL, which we all know evolved into today's AFL"

Ensuing discussion and talkback pretty much settled on yeah, clubs can count whatever flags they've won, but they have to be kept in separate categories - eg when Geelong say they've won 20 flags or whatever it needs to be broken down into eras.
For Geelong, they should be categorised as follows:

1. Pre Dank
2. Post Dank
3. Post Dank, post bottomless pit of Government money

As leader of the Keninkley fan club this is definitely a real stat

(its actually 69.9% Scott vs 58.5% Hinkley. and head-to-head is 75% vs 25%)
Maybe wiki was wrong, ripped it straight from there. Probably not up to date.

Interestingly, Cahill was around 70% in the SANFL era, while Fos was about 80% which makes him just about unmatched from across the land from what I can tell.

It seems all the greatest coaches are around that 70% mark, even Clarko was around 58% but he stuck around a few years too long and ruined his stats and had a roughish start.

Maybe wiki was wrong, ripped it straight from there. Probably not up to date.

Interestingly, Cahill was around 70% in the SANFL era, while Fos was about 80% which makes him just about unmatched from across the land from what I can tell.

It seems all the greatest coaches are around that 70% mark, even Clarko was around 58% but he stuck around a few years too long and ruined his stats.
Well Geelong basically play finals every year, so that was enough of a clue that its wrong.

I guessed on the head-to-head record but its not far off. Scott 71.4% vs Hinkley 28.6%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back