Status
Not open for further replies.
Some much wrong in this
The walk away
The little effort to be knocked down
Would be a turnover in reg match
Tough guys though…

What an absolute knob.

West Adelaide ruckman Oscar Steene is has snapped up Collingwood’s final rookie list spot as the supplemental selection period nears its end.
Collingwood confirmed on Monday the 201-centimetre prospect had been picked up after impressing since joining the squad as a train-on player in November.

Another player who was vying for Collingwood’s final list spot was Oleg Markov, but Carlton is reportedly eyeing off the former Richmond and Gold Coast player.

Sydney's AFL funding surprises me though. There's something fishy about that. COLA by another name one must think.
What do you mean? They get too much from the AFL?

COLA wasn't subsidised by the AFL directly, although clubs wanted the AFL to pay the 10% to individual players so Sydney couldn't rort it and effectively not pay some players the 10% and keep it to recruit other players and pay them effectively more than a 10% COLA.

The AFL helps to subsidies their academy programs, which they report in their P&L as costing around $1.5m a year the last few years, and other general footy development stuff, as they want to get more players out of NSW so that is why they get more than other clubs who have made a lot of finals.

They don't make mega profits in good years! 2012 premiership year only made a $207k profit, 2014 GF year made $846k after making $646k in 2013. 2016 GF year made $53k profit which includes $600k prize money and half goes to the players and in 2015 they made a $300k profit.

2017 made $105k profit, then $520k in 2018. In 2019 they missed finals finished 15th and made a loss of $509k their first loss since 2010. Covid smashed them and they lost $6.1m in 2020 and made a small $54k profit in 2021, after making the finals again.

They only had net assets of $2.20m at the end of 2019 and had negative net assets of $3.898m in 2020 and negative $3.843m at end of 2021. That isn't a financial powerhouse club, especially for a club who between 1996 and 2018 only missed finals in 2000, 2002 and 2009.

They are a break even club. Although they do have the Sydney Swans Foundation so who knows what is in there, as they don't report it as a related entity and consolidate its results.

It was announced in 2018 they would finally get their own facility rather than an area at the SCG. They got $15m from the feds like us, $20m from the state government which became $25m and $5m from AFL. facility.

The Hordern Pavilion will remain a live music venue but the Sydney Swans will take over the Royal Hall of Industries, in a $65 million revamp of the old showground site at Moore Park's sports and entertainment precinct. The state government will set aside $20 million to transform the two historic buildings, following speculation both sites would be turned over to private use and sporting groups.

2019 story said
The $15 million from the federal government is guaranteed regardless of the result of next month's election. The Swans have received a further $25 million in funding from the NSW Government ($20 million) and the AFL ($5 million), with the remaining $15 million to come from the club's own fundraising.

Then Covid shut this down for almost 2 years. See the relevant articles I put up in the General AFLW Talk thread in May 2019 HERE

So before this facility was completed in 2022, the Swans revenue was middle to bottom half ranking in the AFL for revenue generated, were 12th in 2019 pre covid, they have great corporate support, but not great membership income, compared to the big 5 or 6 clubs, they had relatively little depreciation $400k-$500k a year as they didn't have a big expensive facility to write off, and they only made small profits. The above figures are for normal as well as statutory profits, so no funny business in their figures.

So I suspect a big chunk of this extra $5m received in 2022 above the $11m standard AFL distribution is for their new facility. More of that below.

This was the Swans 2022 profit announcement - only $38k normal operating profit despite making a GF, and big grants and big annual depreciation for their facilities is recognised in 2022 for the first time.

The Sydney Swans has announced an underlying profit of $38,878 for the year ending 31 October 2022, in a year that saw the club launch its first women’s team and make the AFL Grand Final.

The club’s statutory net profit was $51,106,781. However, it is important to note that this number largely reflects funds raised for the construction of club’s new $70 million community-based training and administration centre at Moore Park’s historic Royal Hall of Industries.

Despite the challenges faced in recent seasons, Sydney continues to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic and remained debt free as of 31 October 2022.

Key items contributing to the financial outcome include:

• Operating income increasing year-on-year by 29% to $57.1 million. 2019 their revenue was $52.7m so some facilities monies might be in this revenue figure.
  • 56,076 Sydney Swans members, including the No. 1 AFLW member following in the league
  • Sponsorship, hospitality, and marketing revenue of $20.8m (up from $15.2 in 2021) This would be top 5 or 6 in the AFL
  • Depreciation and amortisation expense of $2.5 million (inclusive of the lease for the Royal Hall of Industries)

Jake Niall has to stop guessing and just wait until the AFL releases the figures mid March rather than guessing and trying to be first with these figures like he did last year as well. Also given the total AFL distribution figures which includes stuff like AFL Members Club Support payments I doubt there are so many clubs getting basically the base distribution. This is what clubs got in 2021. Compare that to what Niall put up in his article re 2022 distributions.

1675648902195.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned - Elijah Tstatas (pick #5 2022 draft) and his tiktok vid "overrated". Might just be the single biggest dick move I have ever seen from a bloke yet to debut. Won't let me share it, so google it for yourself.

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned - Elijah Tstatas (pick #5 2022 draft) and his tiktok vid "overrated". Might just be the single biggest dick move I have ever seen from a bloke yet to debut. Won't let me share it, so google it for yourself.
Where's the lie tho?

"The prestigious Sydney school, which has a proud AFL history, did not take part in last season’s comp after the school deemed the sport to be too great a risk to students’ developing brains."

Yep, can't risk students developing brains. Make 'em play ruggers.

"The prestigious Sydney school, which has a proud AFL history, did not take part in last season’s comp after the school deemed the sport to be too great a risk to students’ developing brains."

Yep, can't risk students developing brains. Make 'em play ruggers.

If they play soccer, I wonder if they're allowed to head the ball.

Not going to be sucked in by the click bait but could you tell me what this school's proud AFL history consists of? Had many students drafted to AFL clubs?

qld and nsw refer to the code as AFL rather than aussie rules

it is probably no different to aussies calling football soccer or saying rugby to describe league or union

qld and nsw refer to the code as AFL rather than aussie rules

it is probably no different to aussies calling football soccer or saying rugby to describe league or union
What country has an association football competition called "Soccer"?

Rugby is Union and is not the name of any actual competition, either Union or League, to my knowledge.

Anyways, just heading out for a hit of Wimbledon. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back