Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah but if Essendon get rid of Ben Rutten then who are they going to get?

Haha yeah, joke’s on him hey. There are objectively 4-5 clubs that haven’t gone past us, and a dozen that may have. What a fool!
Well this year including trail games
West coast, North,Adelaide,Essendon, basically anyone who finished below us last year have gone past us.
Going by that thinking we should finish bottom with possibly the highest amount of wins ever. You should join up the North are Good now because they got a new coach brigade.
Very popular sub group on this forum apart from today for some reason.

Haven’t missed a game so far. Mount Barker was good - good bars and plenty of toilets. Plenty of space - was good. Local council handing out blankets to supporters was a nice touch. A lot of work went into getting that game up and running.

Bus from the oval and 45 minutes after the game finished up there - made it to Adelaide Oval.

Won’t be going back to Norwood but hopefully they have sorted their shit out today for anyone travelling out there. Oval is too small, not enough toilets and some bars they couldn’t even be ****ed opening - it really is substandard.

The SA government wants to upgrade a ground in the Barossa and a couple of other near country grounds.
I think states should hold GR for 2 years at a time, I doubt the AFL will commit to 4 years as the premier wants. There absolutely needs to be a game in the Barossa if we get it again next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meanwhile in the WAFL...West Coast who went 1-17 last season just lost 47-217 to West Perth​

Feel for Schofield. If he doesn't get to take over Simpson in the next couple of years then potentially set his coaching career back 3-4 years.

West Coast current AFL side would probably struggle to beat his 2018 Subiaco side.

Will have to wait until we play them to judge...
That won’t tell the whole story. They have an average list at best and let’s not forget that overall they are a soulless organisation. We also have our issues which have been well documented on this board on numerous occasions. Obviously we have a buffoon of a president and a change of coach is required. In terms of our list, a ruckman and a key defender are major requirements. I think our midfield and forward line is in good shape however.

That won’t tell the whole story. They have an average list at best and let’s not forget that overall they are a soulless organisation. We also have our issues which have been well documented on this board on numerous occasions. Obviously we have a buffoon of a president and a change of coach is required. In terms of our list, a ruckman and a key defender are major requirements. I think our midfield and forward line is in good shape however.
Fair enough, we're probably on par with each other - we'll probably occupy 9th and 10th positions at the end of the season. Joy

I think states should hold GR for 2 years at a time, I doubt the AFL will commit to 4 years as the premier wants. There absolutely needs to be a game in the Barossa if we get it again next year.

If you're going to cycle it needs to be three years to get the benefit. Two years isn't enough.

However, there is no real reason that it needs to cycle other than other states wanting the new shiny toy to play with.

Hosting it in SA makes sense on a whole range of levels that puts it far ahead of any other viable option.
  • It's easy to get to from VIC & NSW, drive, bus, or fly.
  • WA, QLD & TAS are not even that bad for flights.
  • Has strong local support for non SA clubs.
  • SA has a huge reputation for Food & Wine that supports the festival nature of the event.
  • Adelaide is an easy city to get around in. Multiple precincts that are connected via pedestrian pathways. It's compactness is a massive advantage for an event like this.
  • Adelaide Oval is a premium city based stadium that can cater for several games over a long weekend program and then funnel the attendees back into the entertainment districts.
  • Barossa and McLaren Vale are world class wine districts a short distance from the city that would help entice people to come. Adding a game at either or both regions would be chefs kiss.

If you look at the two other 'accessible' options in QLD and NSW, you'd need to consider how they would manage the festival feeling that's been created this weekend in Adelaide. IMO it just wouldn't translate, it would become something very different.

WA would be a great place to do this and my hunch is they'd do an amazing job of it there, I'd definitely consider heading over to it if it ever eventuates. Their biggest downside is that it's a big trip for the three biggest markets, VIC, NSW, and QLD. This might be made up with the bump in SA fans travelling over to WA.

Leave it in SA until it's become entrenched in the calendar and then do the next run in WA.

It would feel right to me that it's the two major football states outside Victoria sharing this.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the whole atmosphere around last night's games. Caught the second half of Essendon v Melbourne and found it much more engaging in real life as opposed to TV.

The Veronicas were entertaining and could easily have not gone on in the rain. The stage had to be taken away so their set was probably abbreviated but they were really enthusiastic and were into the excitement of the day.

The main course being a big comeback win with the kids leading the charge topped it off nicely.

Was pleased to be under cover though 😉

Real party atmosphere last night, plenty of people had a big day and were still going at it, I'd love to see Adl Ovals bar turnover reckon it would be massive over last few days.

Meanwhile in the WAFL...West Coast who went 1-17 last season just lost 47-217 to West Perth​

West Coast problems are only just beginning.They still have 10 senior players, that will fall over in the next two years.
Doesn't look like there rookie's are kicking the door down for AFL selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back