Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crows will likely win a flag before we will or atleast make a grand final. Everyone else that we thought was no where near it have in the end.

Bulldogs
Richmond
Melbourne
Now Collingwood...

All won one since we thought Ken was going to take us on a dynasty after the 2014 season and they're were all a rabble at one stage around then.

Is this constant crows praise some sort of coping mechanism?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Since 2000, the Top-3 teams have won 23 of the 24 flags: 1st, 9; 2nd & 3rd, 7.

So, a Top-3 finish gives roughly 33.3% of chance to win a flag.

(BigFooty) Flags v Top-3.PNG

We are the biggest disappointing club in the league.

Richmond is the greatest overachiever.

Geelong's four flags are totally fair.

---

On the difference between Victoria and the other states, Brisbane and Saints cancel each other.

Thus, it is due Port, West Lakes, and Freo having won fewer than they should; while Hawks and Tigers getting more than expected.

If he plays to his best then they are a clear top 4 team. Probably a top 2 team next year

Woah woah woah, top 2?. They finished 11th. Oliver is one of the best players in the comp but he's just 1 guy.

The Crows had a good year compared to what everyone expected but they still finished sub 0.500.

This board is generally way too worried about the Crows.

I never thought I’d say this but nicks is a significant upgrade on Hinkley.

Nicks’ coaching philosophy has made them a hardened, more defensive minded and far more fitter team that ours.

It pretty much rules out any player differential between the lists.
Nicks' coaching philosphy is hardery for longery with a playing group that hasn't been burnt out on it as much. He's the wish.com version of Hinkley. Starting with no hair.

They make comebacks against top sides that ease off at the end of the game. They get overrun and smashed in the last by teams that cope with their manic pressure because they're exhausted.
This can’t be true.
He missed 12 weeks with a hamstring. The AFL has a suspension that they keep private that is 12 weeks long.

Tex defied the odds this year producing a career best year at the age of 33. The odds of that being repeated is not impossible but it’s unlikely at that age. He was by far their most influential player this year.
Technically he has done it two years in a row. He was on track to push for the Coleman and All Australian selection before he revealled his true nature to everyone at Prospect.

They should have finished top 4 this year really...
Defensively they were decimated and lost a stack of close games against good opposition
They've had a season full off making comeback against good opposition at the end of games that never actually gets there.

Just like Port last year.

Last edited:
They should have finished top 4 this year really...
Defensively they were decimated and lost a stack of close games against good opposition
season 1 oops GIF by Dream Corp LLC

Woah woah woah, top 2?. They finished 11th. Oliver is one of the best players in the comp but he's just 1 guy.

The Crows had a good year compared to what everyone expected but they still finished sub 0.500.

This board is generally way too worried about the Crows.
GWS finished 6-16 in 2022 and lost Taranto, Hopper and Hill. They were a point away from the 2023 Grand Final. A year is a long time in football.

The Crows finishing top 4 in 2024 seems a lot more realistic than GWS finishing top 4 in 2023 seemed 12 months ago, even if they don't get Oliver, but especially if they do get him. Considering the amount of close games they lost this year, if they get Oliver and he makes them even a one or two goal better side next year, that could be enough.

GWS finished 6-16 in 2022 and lost Taranto, Hopper and Hill. They were a point away from the 2023 Grand Final. A year is a long time in football.

The Crows finishing top 4 in 2024 seems a lot more realistic than GWS finishing top 4 in 2023 seemed 12 months ago, even if they don't get Oliver, but especially if they do get him. Considering the amount of close games they lost this year, if they get Oliver and he makes them even a one or two goal better side next year, that could be enough.
Or Collingwood finishing top 4 in 2022 after 17th the year before. Everyone always is so confident things will remain the same despite every year a team being a massive surprise packet.

Wouldn't shock me to see Hawthorn and/or Gold Coast play finals next year, wouldn't shock me to see the tingles in a GF if they can land Clarry (I just hope that Nicks has learned enough from Ken to bring that big game underperformance).

The only sides that you can genuinely put a line through are those sides that were totally uncompetitive like Norf or Wet Toast... those sides will be a while away yet.

But why would they?

Walker will deteriorate.

Their defence is inexperienced.

Their midfield struggles at the best of times.

Teams won’t treat them as lightly as last year.

Basically their game plan is that their small forwards have a great game and Walker plays well.

Oliver will cost them picks they could use on the rest of the team and blow out the cap. And if he was was going to be the same player he has been, Melbourne would be keeping him.

I think everyone knew that GWS still had a promising list that could bounce quickly with a new coach. Probably didn't expect Kingsley to do it as quickly as he did though, basically took him only 10 games of trial and error and then it all just clicked.

Wasn't the general consensus that Leon Cameron had the keys to the Ferrari but he just didn't know how to drive it. Kingsley did.

Nicks was handed the keys to a clapped out Toyota Camry and last year was the first year he managed to get get it out of first gear without backfiring and bunny hopping. He's been there 4 years.

I can deffs see Crows playing finals next year. They really should have this year if that poster vs Sydney was ruled a goal. They had the 4th best percentage as well.

Our percentage took a hit because of the trademark Hinkley handbrake which will still be a thing next year, and because we are obsessed with playing corpses over fit depth players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Crows played a lot of games where they were behind early and their opponents took their foot off the pedal. They also played like absolute trash away from home and lost to some poor teams. They still have the list issues they had at the start of last year and they rely so much on an aging gun KPF.

GWS have a much more balanced list and still only finished 7th, winning finals against the worst side in the top 8 and Ken Hinkley to make the prelims.

There are a bunch of sides who could take a big leap forward next season. The only reason this board thinks it's the Crows ahead of the likes of GWS/Carlton/Freo is because we've been conditioned to feeling like nothing ever goes right.

I think the Crows will probably improve slightly or stay in a similar spot but the idea that they'll finish top 2 is optimistic.

Melbourne has hit Clayton Oliver with an ultimatum – shape up or ship off. Fed-up Demons officials have told their troubled midfielder that they need a commitment from him that he will once again conform to the standards and expectations the club demands.
They have made a series of demands to Oliver that include the need to treat club staff with respect, teammates with respect, prepare the way he should and to turn up to training in the proper condition.

But why would they?

Walker will deteriorate.

Their defence is inexperienced.

Their midfield struggles at the best of times.

Teams won’t treat them as lightly as last year.

Basically their game plan is that their small forwards have a great game and Walker plays well.

Oliver will cost them picks they could use on the rest of the team and blow out the cap. And if he was was going to be the same player he has been, Melbourne would be keeping him.

They lost 5 games by under a kick and another 2 that they were leading at 3/4 time. Better percentage than 5 finalists. They are close.

I'll believe if when i see it if he comes to the Crows because I think he loves the Melb lifestyle with all the events etc. It's a big price to pay though, they have this massive list imbalance in age groups where they have the old guys and the young and non between and this is only going to keep that gap there which I'm OK with. Anyone arguing he won't make them better is just jealous though, he clearly would.

Melbourne has hit Clayton Oliver with an ultimatum – shape up or ship off. Fed-up Demons officials have told their troubled midfielder that they need a commitment from him that he will once again conform to the standards and expectations the club demands.
They have made a series of demands to Oliver that include the need to treat club staff with respect, teammates with respect, prepare the way he should and to turn up to training in the proper condition.

That's good by Melbourne

Strong position
The club is always bigger than the player

If he does spit the chewy and wants out then they've made him look very weak and certainly would have clubs second thinking about pursuing

Macca pls

You must be on the same stuff as Clayton Oliver

They would need the most luck in history to be top 4 next year

A question for the Port Adelaide statisticians, probably already been asked elsewhere. This year not one member of the Port Adelaide leadership group picked up a solitary Brownlow vote. Has that ever happened at Port in their AFL existence?

I can deffs see Crows playing finals next year. They really should have this year if that poster vs Sydney was ruled a goal. They had the 4th best percentage as well.

Our percentage took a hit because of the trademark Hinkley handbreak which will still be a thing next year, and because we are obsessed with playing corpses over fit depth players.
I could also see them dropping right away as a few of their older players like Walker, Sloane, Laird get older/injured.

Unless they get Oliver.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back