Port, Melbourne & Collingwood mega trade

Remove this Banner Ad

I get that you don't give up on pick 4s easily but a Melbourne pick 4 is different. Toumpas at Melbourne longer will just end up another Cale Morton. At Port he may come good.

I don't even know what a Ben Kennedy is, but I think Melbourne will be better off without Howe. He's a tease. Good at taking hangers and getting the crowd excited, but what else does he really offer? He's not going to be a key forward target and he wasn't much chop as a defender. To a side trying to build from a very low base he's not really the sort of player you want. Collingwood will build around Cloke and Moore the next few years and Howe can be Buckley's HF/wing guy as mooted.

Howe was best 22. Toumpas was a 21 yo injury hit talented player. We've got shit picks and a VFL dud in return.
Toumpas is marginal , Howe over rates himself and won't play in front, cut your losses and move on. It sucks to see another high pick fail but it is what it is

Adelaide win, get the 32 used instead of the 28 Collingwood wanted.
Yep Adelaide didn't have to use 28, but looking at the deal it made no difference to Collingwood and if anything you guys instead got one over Port. If it was 28 for Seedsman then Melbourne simply would have got 28 and Port Adelaide would not have downgraded from 29 to 32.

Yep Adelaide didn't have to use 28, but looking at the deal it made no difference to Collingwood and if anything you guys instead got one over Port. If it was 28 for Seedsman then Melbourne simply would have got 28 and Port Adelaide would not have downgraded from 29 to 32.
Or maybe we wouldn't've been involved at all, and had to pay more for Toumpas without it being "hidden away" in the settling dust of this MEGA-DEAL.

Wow. Melbourne should be embarrassed. Why not just send Toumpas into the draft.

This makes me feel depressed.

So all year most Melb supporters have ripped into Howe and Toumpas but now cause there getting traded all of a sudden there worth a lot, Really all Howe is worth is a 2nd rounder and nothing more, With Toumpas he hasn't got much value at all he has been in the system for 3 years and hasn't done alot and there is still big question marks if he will even make it, I'm not saying its a good trade for Melb but no where near as bad as some are making it out to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow. Melbourne should be embarrassed. Why not just send Toumpas into the draft.

This makes me feel depressed.
Toumpas was the 6th or 7th mid at best at Melbourne, got what he was worth which is not much, hopefully he's the last great f up

We all know he's tough but his skill level is below average and he there are lingering questions over his endurance. To add to that his small stature is going to make it very hard for him at AFL level where the bodies in clearances are much larger.I have nfi what Melbourne were thinking.
A lot of people say that Kennedy's skills are poor, however he was considered a good disposal as a junior. To me it looks like one of two things. He looks like he is rushing it to much at AFL level and second of all those leg operations he had after his first season might have set him back with his kicking penetration. I would have loved him to get a real crack at AFL level to see how he goes. Needs a big preseason and some real game time. If that doesn't pay off you can say for sure he isn't good enough.

This trade is hard to judge because no one in it stands out. From a Collingwood point of view I think Seedsman isn't a great loss. Has some showy tools but is too incomplete as a player. Poor 1:1, no a great defender. Kennedy has some promise. If he can convert what he shows at VFL he will be a good pick up. Question is can he.

Howe I really don't see filling a need at Collingwood. We have Fasolo and Elliott as similar players and I don't see the 3 of them fitting together. Given a choice I would rather keep Kennedy to see if he can make, skip Howe and pick up pick 32 for Seedsman.

I personally think no one wins the trade, I think Melbourne definitely didn't get a win/win out of it though. I believe Howe will be really good with us, I think he has the tools to become a really really good player. No offence to Melbourne, they really aren't a good club when it comes to developing players and with Howe he honestly look disinterested there.

Kennedy is better than Toumpas. Each of their 3 seasons Kennedy has averaged more contested possies, more clearances, more inside 50's and more goals than Toumpas despite Kennedy been the sub or subbed off in more than half his games (13/25), Toump didn't live up to his pick 4 but Melbourne got an upgrade on him in this trade.

Howe for pick 29 and 50 is probably about right.

Trade looks bad for Melbourne only because Toumpas was a pick 4 but he isn't worth anything near that. Its the draft that is actually bad, not the trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Port, Melbourne & Collingwood mega trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back