Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

With all of the talk about how well Mason McGroder (Academy) went at the World Games at the age of only 15, do yourself a favour and check out footage of the Australian 16yo sprinter, Gout Gout (such a cool name) from Qld. We may just have a track and field golden generation on our hands!
Ok I’m sold. Mods please move this post to the draft trade thread as we need to make Gout Gout a swan ASAP.

I concede, he is faster than Jack Hiscox.

When he becomes a swan, I’m changing my user name to GoutGoutIsFast.

Ok I’m sold. Mods please move this post to the draft trade thread as we need to make Gout Gout a swan ASAP.

I concede, he is faster than Jack Hiscox.

When he becomes a swan, I’m changing my user name to GoutGoutIsFast.
In the 100m he looked like he was going to keep running out of the stadium. In the 200m his kick off the bend was incredible. Just blew the rest off the track. If he ever learns how to start he will be something else. I wonder what his standing vertical jump is?

In the 100m he looked like he was going to keep running out of the stadium. In the 200m his kick off the bend was incredible. Just blew the rest off the track. If he ever learns how to start he will be something else. I wonder what his standing vertical jump is?
Brilliant description KC about the 100 !

Errol’s quip re: the Daicos wing selection is my favourite quote of 2024.
For those who were also like me and didn't know what the quote was, Gulden said:

"It’s good to see Nick (Daicos) on the other wing - he played the last five minutes of that game (there) against the Demons and he went pretty well.”

Last edited:
The daicos bag or hate is a strange one for me

Is it his fault that the media are all about him?

Is he dirty , does he duck etc etc? For people to hate rhe way he goes about it?

Let’s be honest and if you watch the game the kid is an absolute gun , any team would love to have him and don’t say otherwise because your just talking garbage

Is he dirty , does he duck etc etc? For people to hate rhe way he goes about it?

Let’s be honest and if you watch the game the kid is an absolute gun , any team would love to have him and don’t say otherwise because your just talking garbage
So right you are

The development of Campbell and Florent into those wing-half-forward roles has been clever. They provide an unpredictable extra line of attack through our forward half, they're both fairly quick and their sklls and positioning during attack allows them to provide fast inside 50 kicks or handballs, or even goals from outside 50. In the event of a turnover and fast rebound they are positioned with the speed needed to blunt, slow or tackle the opposition, at least giving our defence time to reshape.

We were probably the most affected team when the AFL made the mid-season change to the HTB rule. The much faster timing severely limited our ability to re-shape our defence quickly enough. If the AFL had been looking for a way to tame our dominance they could not have done it better. Our game plan relied on fast and risky corridor movement, sharp kicking, fast runnning, handballing and total commitment to a forward half game. Our ability to maintain our shape after turnover and counter-punch was wrecked when we had no time to switch to defence.

Alongside the loss of a few key players, especially the run of McInerney, we were left vulnerable to counter-attack, which we were liable to if enough pressure was applied. Withour the willingness to risk, run and take the corridor, we tried to kick our way through defences. If forced to kick down the line we simply didn't have the contested marking strength to do it - a reason why I think Horse would have loved to get Reid back, as he was always our best contested mark.

Forced to maintain a tighter defensive structure we tried to scrape wins playing old skool Swans. Close hard footy based on kicking, scrapping, inside work and desperation. It wasn't enough.

So did we get our Mojo back against the Pies? I think at that point we decided to go back to the old habits that had worked. Insanely fast ball movement, kicking and running hard in waves. We did something more though, we changed the roles of a few players to increase our ability to defend and pressure centre-forward mediately upon our opponents gaining possession. We started seeing Campbell or Florent chasing and tackling hard across the centre of the ground as they created, joined or boosted congestion, then used their kicking and burst pace to break away in attack.

These are just some views on the changes we've made and why. Results so far suggest we've found a work around the AFL's mid-season rule change. The return of some key players will be another boost. Meanwhile we're less predictable, better rested, we have more depth and opposition teams have not had a full season to probe for any weaknesses.

I like that our team could make a substantial change to our game plan on the fly, losing a few games but maintaining the top spot, resting a few who needed it and not rushing anyone back. That the team had the faith in Campbell to perform a big chunk of that change speaks volumes for him. Opposition teams will have yet more Swans attacking options to try to counter. Maybe Campbell won't win the '24 Norm Smith but he's helped get us into a very good position for finals success.
Good post.

I’m still annoyed that the AFL made the mid season interpretation change. There was no emmergency that the rule needed to address, if needed at all it could have come at years end.

Because he gets hero worshipped by the umps & they award soft free kicks galore.

The media contributes to it with their constant fawning.

He’s relatively inoffensive - he’s just a receiver and a smug campaigner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post.

I’m still annoyed that the AFL made the mid season interpretation change. There was no emmergency that the rule needed to address, if needed at all it could have come at years end.
I'm confused about what people thought the mid-season interpretation change actually was, and how it's been a negative (or a positive), aside from watching a short segment from Ben Dixon on Fox last week that was too flimsy to be persuasive.

I'm confused about what people thought the mid-season interpretation change actually was, and how it's been a negative (or a positive), aside from watching a short segment from Ben Dixon on Fox last week that was too flimsy to be persuasive.
I’ll be honest, I’m not 100% sure what the change was either. It happened at a time when I wasn’t able the filo was closely, but my broad understanding was that the player with the ball would have less time to dispose of it?

I’ll be honest, I’m not 100% sure what the change was either. It happened at a time when I wasn’t able the filo was closely, but my broad understanding was that the player with the ball would have less time to dispose of it?
Pretty much. That plus umpires would call more quickly for a ball up where there had been no prior and the ball was clearly pinned.

Some other (I think unintended) consequences did flow - like some umpires deciding to do away with the concept of prior opportunity altogether. But I don’t understand what other consequences people think flowed from the change - either direct and intended, or indirect/unintended - that negatively affected some teams more than others.

The change that Dixon tried to argue was not actually part of the intended change (or I don’t think it was) and he provided scant evidence to support it had actually occurred. I’m not saying it didn’t, just that his analysis was fleeting and shallow. Leigh Montagna and David King both looked sceptical, though they didn’t contradict him.

Yep.
Both years he has been the outstanding winger in the comp. Last year he pretty much carried the team over the last half dozen rounds and accumulated a bunch of Brownlow, AFLPCA and Skilton votes. This year he has still been very good but has had company with more contributions from others, especially, but not only, Heeney and Warner.

and rowbottom!

Back on topic please or I'll have to start tidying up.
Sorry, but would Longmire do that.

Look and see, there is only one way Naicos gets that. His own coach pumping his tyres.

Erol won't get a 5 in a game like that.
e362eab7c8bd9bd29df136b3fb42ed1c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

"... but not only..."
Especially in the sense of taking award points off him.

yeah ... i just think rowbottom needs to be included among our very best ... particularly on the eve of finals
i'm one of many who've been saying for a while rowbottom is elite, he allows heeney/gulden/warner to do what they do
he might not win a norm smith but whichever swan who does should let him wear it for a while at the premiership party

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back