Autopsy Practice Match, 2022: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

My old man was on the far wing that game. He told Craig Bradley to get f’ed when Bradley ran the ball over the boundary late in the 4th. Good times.
I think I was there, but was pretty young so not sure if I really remember it, or just feel like I do. I didn't miss many Moorabbin games in those days. Bloody awesome game, and if any younguns don't understand why we call them the good old days, they should watch that last quarter.
Umps stayed right out of it, and plenty of legendary players on the field. And JD.
Those old footies look huge for some reason. Not sure if that size difference is real or imagined.

One tactical change I loved was membrey down back a lot more. I was right behind the goals at IKON yesterday and watching how well he reads the ball is art in motion. Him as the loose man back is something I think we'll see a lot more. Not just in the last 5 minutes of a quarter.

On Pixel 4 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app
Bit of a Chad Cornes circa 2004 feel to it…

And that's why I'm slightly disappointed with his preseason. I was hoping he'd be a bull at a gate and be ready to smash the door down. It sounds like Coff had really worked his arse off. I'd love to hear that Hunter was the same.
Ok here you go:

"Clark has had the best pre-season I have ever seen, watch out for this guy he going to go INSANE this year and will be lucky if he doesn't kill someone."
- someone close to the club

Hunter Clark coming good would be a massive bonus but if he turns out as a average performer he will not be in the team long.
We currently have Jones who if he stays fit is will show he is a very good mid - the problem is getting him to play continuously and we also have Gresham who hasn't been seen in a couple years and he has always been touted as our next midfield star once he built his tank up.
I feel Clark will need to be killing it to be able to get past these guys if they come good.
I hope he steps up but it is not the end of the world because we could have a diamond hidden in the rough we didn't know we had - Bytel could explode on the scene or even Byrne but really It's Gresham , Jones , Steele , Marshall , Crouch , Hill , Sinclair , Howard , King, Membery , Higgins are the guys that need to standup for us to be top 4 this year.

I'm thinking that might be why they gave Ross a run in the guts.
He used to play there, and if we have injuries we don't have Dunstan to fall back on anymore.
Fair enough, Dunston didn't want to be a backup , VFL player, so it makes sense he went to Melbourne to be.........

Oh Jesus, you're becoming more of a drama queen than me. No one has said anything close to that. The desperate fishing for likes by some on here is becoming more painful than the negativity. When the negative comments aren't enough for you you make up your own.
Looks like there is more that one Jesus on here too.

Hill was recruited to play on the wing and for a few reasons it wasn't working so in order for the club to justify getting Hill they put him down back so he can get more touches.
They should have just worked through the reasons why it wasn't working and eventually it would have worked instead of worrying about media pressure.
We have always had plenty of HBF's as that seems to be all we draft and not so many wingers ,It was a dumb and easy way for the club to go IMO

And this is a scary path the AFL have taken, umpires can not be questioned. Talk about a DICtatorship...

The AFL statement said a field umpire shall award a free kick against a player or official who:

(d) disputes a decision of an umpire

Ugh, this league, they can keep it. I'm going back to watching matches of Plugger.

I'm going to be waiting for the first time a coach flashes up on the big screen, throwing down his headset after a free, followed by a 50 being awarded against the coach ... you just know that's where the madness is heading.

Hill was recruited to play on the wing and for a few reasons it wasn't working so in order for the club to justify getting Hill they put him down back so he can get more touches.
They should have just worked through the reasons why it wasn't working and eventually it would have worked instead of worrying about media pressure.
We have always had plenty of HBF's as that seems to be all we draft and not so many wingers ,It was a dumb and easy way for the club to go IMO

Sliding doors, we get Langdon instead of Hill we pay half as much and get twice as much return. Langdon came 4th in their B and F and probably the most improved player in the comp.

I'm going to be waiting for the first time a coach flashes up on the big screen, throwing down his headset after a free, followed by a 50 being awarded against the coach ... you just know that's where the madness is heading.
They are basing this on tennis umpiring. LOL.

Honestly though it was our game plan didn't suit his game. He was pretty much one of the players that improved at the same time as the side improved. When we started to rebound well we started winning games again. I think Sincs and Hill as rebound defenders are one of the better lines the club has put together and overall defence looks a strength. Howard, Wilkie are good, Webster, Paton, Highmore, Coffield and Clark are all good or developing into good players. Joyce, Adams and Allison as development players/depth.

Honestly though it was our game plan didn't suit his game. He was pretty much one of the players that improved at the same time as the side improved. When we started to rebound well we started winning games again. I think Sincs and Hill as rebound defenders are one of the better lines the club has put together and overall defence looks a strength. Howard, Wilkie are good, Webster, Paton, Highmore, Coffield and Clark are all good or developing into good players. Joyce, Adams and Allison as development players/depth.
And hopefully a rampaging Josh Battle...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t even agree with that. Cerra gets hyped because he’s not a St Kilda player. If Clark played for another team he’d be pumped up. Also this idea of his inconsistency is also over stated. His start to last year was great untill injuries. He’s also a pretty natural ball winner. I also think he’s a far more creative and damaging kick then Cerra and he’s a better hand baller. Cerra just had more opportunity in the midfield.

Yep it’s a myth that he’s slow. He just looks slow. Someone doesn’t have to be sweating out of their eye balls to be fast. IIRC he’s actually had a relatively high top speed. Anyways recorded top speed is overated anyways. It doesn’t matter if he looks slow. He moves well in congestion.
Spot on.

Just watched the 3rd quarter. Pretty lacklustre affair.

After what I thought was a BOG first half, I didn’t see Membrey or hear his name mentioned until the last minute of the quarter. I take it he was the one who made way for Hayes, who played that quarter.

If Tim took 13 marks in 3 quarters of footy that’s some sort of effort.

Also didn’t see Gresh or hear his name mentioned until the 19 min mark. He presumably made way for Long to get a run up there.

Now that I think about it, I don’t remember seeing Byrnes or hearing his name mentioned, so if he didn’t play that quarter he did well to have 18 disposals.

Webster apparently only played the first half, so Lienert took his spot.

Last edited:
What has Hannerbery done to be given a game ? not even training with main group

Will be filthy if he is picked before a young bloke who has done a full pre season

He is done washed up finished

If we’re relying on him, we’re in big trouble.

Ok here you go:

"Clark has had the best pre-season I have ever seen, watch out for this guy he going to go INSANE this year and will be lucky if he doesn't kill someone."
- someone close to the club

Well as long as it’s someone from another team….

Don’t think Jones played any of the last quarter and nor Billings, who I don’t think played any of the first 25 minutes of the match. So he presumably only played about half the game. For 15 disposals.

Doubt Gresham played much more than a half. His class was sooooo noticeable when on though. Bloody hell we’ve missed him.

Don’t remember seeing Butler in the 2nd half. Definitely not in the last quarter. So maybe we did have an injury after all.

Webster didn’t play the 2nd half.

Hayes looked OK. Took a good contested mark down back. Looks taller than 192cm, but you’d think they’d have that right.

Considering the fact it seems incredibly likely they their prime midfield crew in particular played more minutes than ours, that they had their no.1 ruck playing for a chunk of the game and then a 210cm guy the rest- against our 3rd and 4th stringers- and that it was at their home training ground and “spiritual home”, I don’t see any reason for concern at not winning the game.

We’ll obviously still have things to work on, but few if any teams won’t.

On to next week.

Last edited:
Just watched the game… bit late but a few thoughts.
#positives
  • Battle looked good … hopefully is settled down back .
  • Clark showed good hands in close … I think he would be a good wingman thou.
  • McKenzie has really surprised me and looks set to play rd 1 on wing.
  • Hayes deserve a shot… will give his all and a bit of mr fix it.
  • Higgins I think is in for a big year … very busy and I think will be one of the top small forwards at the end of the year .
  • and Gresham is so important to our team.
#Negatives
  • not sure a Ross, Steele and crouch middle combination is going to scare too many.
  • Clearly I think we lack a really dynamic midfielder.
Anyways we have no injuries so better start then last year
A Ross, Steele and Crouch midfield isn't going to win a GF that's for sure.

not sure a Ross, Steele and crouch middle combination is going to scare too many.
Any middle combination containing Ross has the capacity to scare many.

Unfortunately the many are all Saints supporters

View attachment 1335409
Here’s the SC scores from the match.

Great to see Pato back and scoring a handy 93! Very underrated player externally

Steele, Sinclair and Membrey leading the charge. They were our top 3 in the BnF last year as well IIRC.

Good point on Paton as well - him and Higgins on 93 were very good all things considered. Looking forward to seeing the damage done when we start giving the boys more time on ground, like Gresh for example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Practice Match, 2022: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back