Toast QF = Collingwood 60-53 Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

The stats clearly indicated that we were exposed terribly in the third quarter and then it got worse in the fourth quarter.

That you are resorting to name calling just embarrasses yourself
Our stats were worse in RD21 last year and we still beat them.
They have been butchering I50’s all year, and was highlighted as an issue all week.
So it was predictable.

Outside us inexplicably continually kicking it to the side of the ground Gawn was on in the second half, thought we did well

All their best players played well

Almost none of our best players played well

Umps did everything they could to give them a leg up

No Nick Daicos

Still won

That’s why I kept wondering why people put any stock in King’s Birthday. That game was in no way reflective of a usual Melbourne Collingwood game

Our stats were worse in RD21 last year and we still beat them.
They have been butchering I50’s all year, and was highlighted as an issue all week.
So it was predictable.
It's the Melbourne way. They get a lot of entries but they are of poor quality. It's why they kicked inaccurately again tonight.

The Dees are probably the most difficult team for us to get on top of in general play, but the positive sign was that when we did get the ball moving our offence was dangerous. If our defence stays strong we're looking good, especially with the addition of Nick to help our ball movement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What Maynard did wasn't malicious.
You said “if they had a half-decent forward line”, well it’s one of those “if my grandma had wheels she’d be a trolley” scenarios, isn’t it? Melbourne poured their resources into the ruck.

Inane.
Have you deliberately missed the point by trying too hard to be cute?
I'll say it slower and differently for you then. We gave up an enormous I/50 differential. That is the result of our midfield being soundly beaten... There are not many sides with a decent forward line who can't translate that into a win on the scoreboard... Eg. Brisbane, Carlton, Port.

Hence.... we were lucky Melb didn't have a decent forward line.

Super first quarter. Good second quarter. Mediocre second half.

But did enough to win. We're good enough and we will almost certainly make the GF! Almost.

Brilliant: Hill, Crisp, Adams, most of the defenders including WHE (good call coaches).

Worries: rucks against Gawn, Lipinski, DeGoey (hurt?), McReery, Elliot, Daicos. They will be better -- a lot of them will. But still some issues.

But totally should be happy. We might still face Melbourne in the GF, but probably Brisbane.
Mediocre 2nd half?

That 3rd quarter was mediocre at best.... a bit bad really, but mainly because Melbourne is elite defensively.

But that 4th..... pies midfield crapped the bed big time... got smashed. 2023 Eagles would have won that 4th against the Pies. The resistance at the middle was lacking, no tackle pressure or it was a second late. Pies defense did well... but their kick out to the same contests where Demons have numbers was very ordinary.... again Demons are the best at that.... still, Pies were made to look like a bottom 4 team in that quarter.

I think you could say that Maynard jumped to spoil and then Brayshaw took a couple of steps to essentially charge into Maynard when he wasn't in a position to protect himself.

But in all seriousness I'm expecting this to go to the tribunal and then likely suspended and we appeal and it lasts all bloody week.

Brayshaw to be booked for tunneling.

What? He had nothing to do. We played defensively in the last quarter to ensure they didn't get the 5 goals they needed to roll us. It's what we always do in that situation.

This is true. It’s just unfamiliar to people who are used to us being 5 goals down at that point in time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast QF = Collingwood 60-53 Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back