Preview Qualifying Final - Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniels is the one who is red hot stm - Whitfield was highly unimpressive last outing.
I don't think we've sent Jordon to a forward all season. We'll have Cunningham or Mills to send to forwards, but the likelihood is that Daniels himself will be playing partially on one of our attacking half backs to pressure them / get it himself.

Jordon's gone to damaging mids, wingers or rebounding half backs. I also think Whitfield, maybe Ash are the two to stifle in that regard.

Reasons for belief - GWS have been a bit of a nightmare match-up for us over the journey, but I feel like we are now the nightmare match-up for them.

Since we've moved to a more run-and-gun style, our results against GWS are as follows:

Round 15 this year - 102-75, 27 point win (was nearly a 40+ point margin at one point)
Round 8 this year - 98-69, 29 point win
Round 21 last year - 96-85, 11 point win (was a 24 point margin late in the third)
Round 7 last year - 106-107, 1 point loss (after giving up a 24 point margin in the 4th)
Round 20, 2022 - 112-39, 73 point win
Round 1, 2022 - 112-92, 20 point win
Elim Final, 2021 - 73-74, 1 point loss (in which we had 4 more scoring shots)
Round 18, 2021 - 98-72, 26 point win (with 3 late outs due to COVID)
Round 5, 2021 - 69-71, 2 point loss
Round 12, 2020 - 66-25, 41 point win (all 3 of their goals came from dubious frees)

So we have had 7 wins with an average winning margin of 32 points, while GWS have had 3 wins by an average of 2 points. In two of their three wins it came down to goals within the final 90 seconds of the game. We haven't scored less than 96 points against them since 2021.

They've been a thorn in our side on a handful of occasions, especially in finals, but I feel like we are now the nightmare match-up for them. They've eked out last-gasp victories on a few occasions while for the most part, we have put them to the sword. I think the 2010s decade version of us - slower, more contested - struggled with their outside run and spread from the contest. It's why in 2016 we were clearly the best side all year, yet they still handily beat us on two occasions by 6+ goals.

We're just not that team anymore, we've got different kinds of weapons now. We can still easily lose this if we're off our game, but if those same weapons fire once again, there's no reason we can't win.

You mean the game he got 42 disposals at 85% efficiency he had in the final round? When Daniels wasn't playing?
Nope, the last two gamesI watched. Rds 22 & 23, where he got 25 & 27 , no goals and had little to no effect on the game.

Now jog on, I’m not interested in you or your opinion. You’re an insulting brat.

Reasons for belief - GWS have been a bit of a nightmare match-up for us over the journey, but I feel like we are now the nightmare match-up for them.

Since we've moved to a more run-and-gun style, our results against GWS are as follows:

Round 15 this year - 102-75, 27 point win (was nearly a 40+ point margin at one point)
Round 8 this year - 98-69, 29 point win
Round 21 last year - 96-85, 11 point win (was a 24 point margin late in the third)
Round 7 last year - 106-107, 1 point loss (after giving up a 24 point margin in the 4th)
Round 20, 2022 - 112-39, 73 point win
Round 1, 2022 - 112-92, 20 point win
Elim Final, 2021 - 73-74, 1 point loss (in which we had 4 more scoring shots)
Round 18, 2021 - 98-72, 26 point win (with 3 late outs due to COVID)
Round 5, 2021 - 69-71, 2 point loss
Round 12, 2020 - 66-25, 41 point win (all 3 of their goals came from dubious frees)

So we have had 7 wins with an average winning margin of 32 points, while GWS have had 3 wins by an average of 2 points. In two of their three wins it came down to goals within the final 90 seconds of the game. We haven't scored less than 96 points against them since 2021.

They've been a thorn in our side on a handful of occasions, especially in finals, but I feel like we are now the nightmare match-up for them. They've eked out last-gasp victories on a few occasions while for the most part, we have put them to the sword. I think the 2010s decade version of us - slower, more contested - struggled with their outside run and spread from the contest. It's why in 2016 we were clearly the best side all year, yet they still handily beat us on two occasions by 6+ goals.

We're just not that team anymore, we've got different kinds of weapons now. We can still easily lose this if we're off our game, but if those same weapons fire once again, there's no reason we can't win.
Great insightful post.👍

Hi all, I’m a new poster so be kind. Just posting as went to training today and wanted to just give bit of intel. Was a very light training session so can’t read too much into it, but Paps and Juzzy did look good and were up and about running etc.

Most surprising was that Will Hayward was not training and was seen by a few people in his causal clothes. Hopefully he is ok and trains later in the week.

Have you heard about all the things Sam Reid has been up to?

Nope, the last two gamesI watched. Rds 22 & 23, where he got 25 & 27 , no goals and had little to no effect on the game.

Now jog on, I’m not interested in you or your opinion. You’re an insulting brat.
Time out time out. Other posters on here get stuck into me but they don't go to that length. You got rightfully called out on multiple fronts for a shocking take.

1. JJ has never tagged a forward
2. JJ has tagged Whitfield in both games against the Giants this year
3. 42 touches @85 is a great game, and 27 touches 11 marks 6 intercepts and 5 score involvements is still a quality game
4. The last time Lachie Whitfield kicked a goal was round 14 2023, guess he shouldn't have been in the AA squad cause he doesn't kick goals as a defender

Last edited:

Injury updates

Papley, McInerney, McCartin, Heeney, they all trained today and all got through well, so hopefully they'll do the same again on Thursday

I usually don't get too ahead of myself until the last training session's done, I sort of wait a little bit, I sort of kick that can down the road a little bit and make the decision after the last training session what it looks like.

They looked all good today, hopefully they get through the training session on Thursday and they're ready to go.

Papley and McInerney on selections this week

We just focus solely on this week, who's available this week. They've been doing the training they've had to do over many weeks now, the last week, and they were able to ramp it right up knowing we weren't playing on the weekend.

Again this week they've lifted it as well, they've missed a few weeks, but in Juzzy’s case he's got great fitness, he's an elite runner, so it's just about how he feels around the ball and the contest and he's been doing all he can in that space and really enjoying that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mist your point. Don't have the foggiest idea what you're on about.
On a technicality he is right because it is predicting 1mm but your right in saying in the grand scheme of things 1mm is nothing and should have no impact on the game

Btw. Adams in the yellow vest. Does that suggest he's sub or out of the best 23?
Wouldn't have thought so. In the gallery that photo is from, both Parker and Papley also have yellow vests on and whilst it's not inconceivable that Parks could be sub (God I hope not), never, EVER will it be Papley.

With regards to our 23rd player, i have seen Amartey's and Lloyd's names come up as suggested outs. I would almost guarantee neither will be left out.

Can't see us not going with 3 tall forwards in our best 22. GWS have a tall defensive setup and we will get killed in the air if we only take 2 and count on Hayward and Parker to aerially compete.

Re Lloyd, he has been great in his new role on a wing and sliding back to HB. We will need his running to compensate for JMac who will be short of a gallop. I wouldn't be surprised if JMac is our sub.

So who takes the 23rd position out of Adams, Campbell, Fox or Cleary? I'd say Adams will get it and may even start if JMac starts as sub. It certainly would not be my preference as I think Campbell's form is much better but there is clearly something Tay is doing which Horse and the team value. Might be his leadership and experience as I have noticed him often
directing his team mates and they seem to listen.

Whoever it is, I'm trusting our brains trust has their reasons and it will give us the best chance of winning on Saturday 🤞

With regards to our 23rd player, i have seen Amartey's and Lloyd's names come up as suggested outs. I would almost guarantee neither will be left out.

Can't see us not going with 3 tall forwards in our best 22. GWS have a tall defensive setup and we will get killed in the air if we only take 2 and count on Hayward and Parker to aerially compete.

Re Lloyd, he has been great in his new role on a wing and sliding back to HB. We will need his running to compensate for JMac who will be short of a gallop. I wouldn't be surprised if JMac is our sub.

So who takes the 23rd position out of Adams, Campbell, Fox or Cleary? I'd say Adams will get it and may even start if JMac starts as sub. It certainly would not be my preference as I think Campbell's form is much better but there is clearly something Tay is doing which Horse and the team value. Might be his leadership and experience as I have noticed him often
directing his team mates and they seem to listen.

Whoever it is, I'm trusting our brains trust has their reasons and it will give us the best chance of winning on Saturday 🤞
I don't mind the notion of McInerney as sub. Can play the full length and width of the field. A cool head but can take the team on his shoulders.
Can make more impact late in a game than any of the others mentioned.
I definitely want Parker in the 22.

Make no mistake, the Giants will bring a very good team on Saturday.

They'll feel good about themselves down back, with Taylor, Buckley and the rest.
And up forward, there's a 2024 Coleman Medallist called Jesse Hogan, with sticky hands.

This is not the game for another slow start. Nor to lose the centre clearances. We must keep pumping it forward.

Team selections: it would break the coach's heart to drop Lloyd or Amartey. I don't expect either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back