Qld Queensland State Election 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

And here comes the right wing nut job brigade. I hope this makes a few people think twice about voting for them.

I also hope anyone who still thinks the Katters are lovable larrikins wakes up now and realises they are deeply conservative, backwards-looking extremists.

Last edited:
And here comes the right wing nut job brigade. I hope this makes a few people think twice about voting for them.

I hope anyone who still thinks the Katters are lovable larrikins wakes up now and realises they are deeply conservative, backwards-looking extremists.
Looking at the US Deep South to translate to votes in Queensland's Deep North?

Selling guns and imposing restrictions to women's reproductive health works so well in Florida

And the interim they are keeping their brand in the headlines in Murdoch media based culture wars

This is a dry run for the Federal election, a policy free Liberal Party whipping as much discontent as they can hoping to get into office on the back of that knowing that if they're honest about what they to do they're unelectable.
with free reign from the courier mail, sowing lies.

what could go wrong.

This is a dry run for the Federal election, a policy free Liberal Party whipping as much discontent as they can hoping to get into office on the back of that knowing that if they're honest about what they to do they're unelectable.

The LNP literally has to do nothing to win this election. Miles and Palachook have lost this a long long way out. Nothing to do with lies or discontent. The electorate are over it.

Shifty bastard.

I love that he immediately crumbles. That's an instant classic.

Anyway, seems from an outsider like Miles is the only state leader in this country actually implementing policies aimed at making people's lives better (50 cent public transport, state-owned petrol stations etc). Unfortunately it seems like the party has already been defeated, and maybe these are just the desperate offerings of a government deciding to actually do things to save themselves, but it seems an awful shame that Queenslanders have decided it's more important to throw kids in jail.

I love that he immediately crumbles. That's an instant classic.

Anyway, seems from an outsider like Miles is the only state leader in this country actually implementing policies aimed at making people's lives better (50 cent public transport, state-owned petrol stations etc). Unfortunately it seems like the party has already been defeated, and maybe these are just the desperate offerings of a government deciding to actually do things to save themselves, but it seems an awful shame that Queenslanders have decided it's more important to throw kids in jail.
Too many boomers and Gen Xers who think being "tough on crime" has ever worked.

The actual remedies are tossed in the too-hard basket by conservatives every time they're elected.

Screw supporting families in poverty, just wait until the kids grow up poor, malnourished and mentally ill and toss them in prison.

You have to ask, despite how bad Labor has been, if the LNP are destined to screw it all up, why are voters trusting them? Newman wasn't that long ago.
Ten years is a long time in politics

There will be a lot of government changes with cost of living and housing going on because none of the majors will do anything about it

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Queensland Labor promises free school lunches in a $1.4b vote grab​

James Hall and John Kehoe
Oct 13, 2024 – 2.49pm

A $1.4 billion election cash splash by the Queensland Labor government to give children free school lunches will add to a $600 billion state and territory debt pile that is growing faster than federal government borrowings and making it harder for the central bank to reduce inflation.
Premier Steven Miles on Sunday promised to provide free lunches to primary school children if re-elected at a cost of $350 million a year in the latest vote grab from an embattled government fighting to stay alive in an election viewed as a test of Labor sentiment before a federal poll.

It does work as a band aid solution in the short run. Improved public education, a better economy to provide jobs for all and better social welfare support are the necessary policies that work in the long run. But they dont work immediately in the short run.

Whether people like it or not both short and long run solutions are needed. There are simply too many residential break ins, a large share carried out by young people, to ignore at the moment. Ive had 2 break in attempts in the past 18 months. All my neighbours have had similar problems. Women and children are becoming terrfied at night. Its leading to mental health issues. And im not saying the libs have the right or just solutions for the short run either. But something different is needed. More police roaming the streets for starters. Stronger disincentives for crime. Labor are completely disinterested. Although they have to be fair and not discriminate.

It does work as a band aid solution in the short run.
Can you provide proof for this? Maybe some academic papers or articles in reputed news sources showing they work in the short run?

Whether people like it or not both short and long run solutions are needed. There are simply too many residential break ins, a large share carried out by young people, to ignore at the moment.
The statistics say youth crime in Queensland is down significantly over the past decade.

Ive had 2 break in attempts in the past 18 months. All my neighbours have had similar problems.
Were they conducted by youth? Couldn't this simply be a symptom of the increasingly unaffordable cost of living driving people into poverty rather than a problem with youth specifically?

Stronger disincentives for crime.
Again, I'd like to see evidence of where this has actually worked. The strongest disincentive of all, the death penalty, hasn't made the US less likely to have murders than other countries of comparable wealth.

Can you provide proof for this? Maybe some academic papers or articles in reputed news sources showing they work in the short run?

The statistics say youth crime in Queensland is down significantly over the past decade.

Were they conducted by youth? Couldn't this simply be a symptom of the increasingly unaffordable cost of living driving people into poverty rather than a problem with youth specifically?

Again, I'd like to see evidence of where this has actually worked. The strongest disincentive of all, the death penalty, hasn't made the US less likely to have murders than other countries of comparable wealth.

If you lock up someone who is commiting robberies then ergo its just plain logical to say that reduces crime in the short run because those people are no longer able to commit robberies. How is this logic not sufficient for you? I agree it does not fix problems in the medium to long run. The insitutional problems that drive people to commit theft need to be fixed and if they arent then the system just drives other people to crime and they replace those who were locked up. But that takes time. It doesnt occur instantaneously. No person says hey, those guys just got locked up and as a result i will now commit the crimes that they would of.

I agree the death penalty doesnt deter crime. But thats not because threat of punishment doesnt deter crime. But more because there is no difference in deterence between life time in prison and the death penalty. Look at countries like Singapore. Very high inequality but very low crime because they are tough on crime and have created a society where status is linked to compliance.

Crime is down. I agree. Doesnt mean its down to acceptable levels though. Unfortunately until recently people have been blissfully unaware of how much crime happens in their neighbourhoods. But now thanks to cameras and people posting all the footage on social media people realise the robberies are regularly happening all around them. This awareness is creating mental health problems.

I agree poverty is a key issue (not the only one though). I dont think the recent affordability crisis is much of an issue though cos as you point out, the crime rate hasnt risen in the past couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Qld Queensland State Election 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back