Preview R1: Changes for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year before injury, dawson said this of Milera being our most underrated, -

ADELAIDE: “Wayne Milera. He’s one that will get recognition this year. He’s a very, very good player and a cracking bloke,” said Jordan Dawson

Im hopeful

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm treating him as an unexpected bonus.

Previously we have brought him back from long term injury too early & he has taken a good month to get back to form.

Now we have more depth & he is no longer a monty for our best side, he needs to earn his way back after a solid month of decent sanfl football.

I'm treating him as an unexpected bonus.

Previously we have brought him back from long term injury too early & he has taken a good month to get back to form.

Now we have more depth & he is no longer a monty for our best side, he needs to earn his way back after a solid month of decent sanfl football.
🤞

I don’t think he gets back in as a HB with the increased depth we have in that position, potentially recast as a wingman and putting some pressure on Sholl to keep his form up?

🤞

I don’t think he gets back in as a HB with the increased depth we have in that position, potentially recast as a wingman and putting some pressure on Sholl to keep his form up?
Doubt Sholl makes best 22. He doesn't even make the emergencies in my best side. Think we move more damaging players to the wing who can compete physically - so yes Milera but also Hinge, Cumming, Nankervis, maybe even Worrell if all our KPDs are fit.

If fit, Milera definitely plays. Talent wise, he's still one of our very best, his composure under pressure and kicking skills are something we miss when he's out.

Doubt Sholl makes best 22. He doesn't even make the emergencies in my best side. Think we move more damaging players to the wing who can compete physically - so yes Milera but also Hinge, Cumming, Nankervis, maybe even Worrell if all our KPDs are fit.

If fit, Milera definitely plays. Talent wise, he's still one of our very best, his composure under pressure and kicking skills are something we miss when he's out.
Sholl is miles ahead of Wayne at this point IMO.

Finished off the season pretty well.

I don't think it's about Milera fit now, it's the toll that those injuries take on him and whether his relative best is now going to be good enough.

MATT TURNER’S ADELAIDE PREDICTED BEST 23​

F Walker Thilthorpe Rankine

HF Neal-Bullen Fogarty Keays

C Sholl Peatling Hinge

HB Milera Murray Cumming

B Worrell Keane Michalanney

R O’Brien Dawson Soligo

I/C Rachele Berry Laird Nankervis Crouch

Closest: Bond, Butts, Curtin, Murphy
No Curtin??? Is this a post from Matt Turner or Nick's?

We could end the year with a few players leaving to other clubs for greater opportunities

Sholl is miles ahead of Wayne at this point IMO.

Finished off the season pretty well.

I don't think it's about Milera fit now, it's the toll that those injuries take on him and whether his relative best is now going to be good enough.
Sholl is a piece of nothing, gets possessions but has no effect on games. Is probably the least physically competitive player in the competition. The only thing he's miles ahead of Milera in is getting nonchalantly swatted aside by an opposition player.

The assumptions being made about Milera are perplexing, that he'll return a shadow of his former self like he's going back in time to the 70s to get his surgery done. This is the 2nd time he's gone through this and he and the club will both be wiser for the experience.

Sholl is a piece of nothing, gets possessions but has no effect on games. Is probably the least physically competitive player in the competition. The only thing he's miles ahead of Milera in is getting nonchalantly swatted aside by an opposition player.

The assumptions being made about Milera are perplexing, that he'll return a shadow of his former self like he's going back in time to the 70s to get his surgery done. This is the 2nd time he's gone through this and he and the club will both be wiser for the experience.
The assumption that Milera was ever this star player is perplexing.

Sholls 2024 was better than any season Milera has produced in 6 years, you may not like it.... but facts are facts.

Fox Footy has assessed all team's 2025 "best" sides.

Ours is unremarkable, with Laird included, of course.
However, there was a very strange comment about Peatling, claiming that he wasn't a need and was very similar to what we already have. I don't see it that way at all.

I'm not surprised that those outside the club still think Laird deserves a role in our midfield.

Laird is a bit like a shit sandwich.

For people outside the club that only give a quick glance over the stats, all they see is two nice fresh pieces of bread. It's not until you actually dig a bit deeper and take a bite that you realise what's actually hidden underneath those stats.

I'm not surprised that those outside the club still think Laird deserves a role in our midfield.

Laird is a bit like a shit sandwich.

For people outside the club that only give a quick glance over the stats, all they see is two nice fresh pieces of bread. It's not until you actually dig a bit deeper and take a bite that you realise what's actually hidden underneath those stats.
I suppose they look at stats not effectiveness. Always been a good ball getter. He still has a role but not on the ball.

Sholls 2024 was better than any season Milera has produced in 6 years, you may not like it.... but facts are facts.

agree

Even despite injuries he was one of my most frustrating players on the list - seemed to be always travelling in 2 or 3 gear for a player who has genuine leg speed.

He almost always looks for a safe kick, wheeeas a player like Houston looks for the aggressive kick that sets up aggressive ball movement - he plays safe

Milera two biggest weapons - kicking and speed and except for glimpses he doesn’t break lines enough or attempts aggressive ball movement

To date, Milera is a tease! He shows glimpses and promises much, but never fully delivers. Hopefully he can get his body 100% right and show us what he is really capable of.

Sholl has grown on me. I was critical of him being too easily brushed off, which I believe was warranted at the time. He has intentionally worked on this. Additionally, his body is maturing. He will never be anything like Fogarty physically, but that is not his role. I noticed as the year progressed his tackles stuck. He did not shirk the contest either. With his endurance he can cover the ground and provide pressure. He is a natural accumulator and generally a good user of the footy. His best footy is still ahead of him IMO as his body continues to mature and he gains more experience. He is becoming a fairly handy member of our best 22.

To date, Milera is a tease! He shows glimpses and promises much, but never fully delivers. Hopefully he can get his body 100% right and show us what he is really capable of.

Sholl has grown on me. I was critical of him being too easily brushed off, which I believe was warranted at the time. He has intentionally worked on this. Additionally, his body is maturing. He will never be anything like Fogarty physically, but that is not his role. I noticed as the year progressed his tackles stuck. He did not shirk the contest either. With his endurance he can cover the ground and provide pressure. He is a natural accumulator and generally a good user of the footy. His best footy is still ahead of him IMO as his body continues to mature and he gains more experience. He is becoming a fairly handy member of our best 22.
Yep Sholl to his credit appears to have worked on his deficiencies and has turned into a regular contributor at works, and a very handy link player at his best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep Sholl to his credit appears to have worked on his deficiencies and has turned into a regular contributor at works, and a very handy link player at his best.
I was a doubter but he won me over this year

Maybe as the season progresses
Yep

You'd think he'll need at least a third of the season to work his way into some sort of touch

I hope we don't rush him

Let him find his feet and take stock midseason.

Yep

You'd think he'll need at least a third of the season to work his way into some sort of touch

I hope we don't rush him

Let him find his feet and take stock midseason.
If after 4 or 5 games in the sanfl he's running freely, in form and clearly too good for that level I'd be happy for him to get a go.

agree

Even despite injuries he was one of my most frustrating players on the list - seemed to be always travelling in 2 or 3 gear for a player who has genuine leg speed.

He almost always looks for a safe kick, wheeeas a player like Houston looks for the aggressive kick that sets up aggressive ball movement - he plays safe

Milera two biggest weapons - kicking and speed and except for glimpses he doesn’t break lines enough or attempts aggressive ball movement

The vision of what Milera should be clouds the vision of what Milera has been. A player with real talent that has never lived up to it through a combination of injury and inability to get into top get for any lenght of time.

Once his career ends it will very lilely be what might have been

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R1: Changes for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back