Preview R17: Changes vs. Brisbane: Back to the Future

Will Lachlan Murphy be dropped after half his disposals were turnovers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

💯

We've got a few options, all preferable to Smith being recalled.

1. Give Oscar Ryan a look
2. Bring Jones back in via the backline
3. Laird as a permanent defender
4. Smith recall

Typically, we'll go for the option with the least upside because Smith had a good SANFL game last week.
Yep.

Seniors + a good SANFL game = recall
Junior + good SANFL form = wait for an injury and no senior players in yhe queue.

I don't see any other obvious player we'd drop for Jones, who hasn't played a SANFL game since 2022

I guess they could drop Cook, which is a much of a muchness in terms of shitness of decision
It’ll be Cook, whoever gets subbed out is usually not far off getting omitted. In 10+ games this year I’m still not seeing it with Cook.

It’ll be Cook, whoever gets subbed out is usually not far off getting omitted. In 10+ games this year I’m still not seeing it with Cook.
I don't know why Jones comes straight back in. I'd make him the sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why Jones comes straight back in. I'd make him the sub.
Me either. It honestly seems like the changes are Smith for Hamill (need to bring in the guy ‘smashing the door down’ at sanfl level for one week) and Jones for Cook, with Taylor or Jones the sub. Not getting anymore exciting than that, from what Nicks said today he considers Brodie to be in superior form to Curtin (or Bond) and so he plays, it’s the same as his consistent mantra about playing best available that week.

Yea, i'd say Smith is definitely a big part of where we're at this year.

From the article
The Crows will have to make one change to that side, with defender Will Hamill facing three to four weeks on the sidelines after hand injury.

“So that creates an opportunity for someone else, but Will was going so well this year,” Nicks said on Thursday.

“He found his groove and really sort of made that spot his own.”
Nicks said first round draftee Dan Curtin and fellow youngster Hugh Bond were pushing to replace Hamill.

But he said Smith, who has been down on form this year and a whipping boy for fans online, was one of the best on the ground for the Crows in the SANFL against Glenelg.

“He has done everything that we asked Brodie, he has gone back and performed the way we wanted him to,” he said.

Me either. It honestly seems like the changes are Smith for Hamill (need to bring in the guy ‘smashing the door down’ at sanfl level for one week) and Jones for Cook, with Taylor or Jones the sub. Not getting anymore exciting than that, from what Nicks said today he considers Brodie to be in superior form to Curtin (or Bond) and so he plays, it’s the same as his consistent mantra about playing best available that week.
It also means Dowling gets shunted into Cook's deeper forward role. Yuck.

Couple of positive things I heard in his presser today:
They will continue to try Curtin in a variety of roles and that includes behind the ball or in the midfield (specifically mentioned his U18 work there and will work with Dawson closely in next 6-12 months) - first time I’ve ever heard him mention using Curtin as a midfielder and most in depth he’s gone about him since draft day

Has really enjoyed Hugh Bond’s work at sanfl level and will get an opportunity if that form continues

No, he hasn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He's out performed Murphy though.

If Murphy's gold pass got any bigger, he'd be inheriting Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.

Couple of positive things I heard in his presser today:
They will continue to try Curtin in a variety of roles and that includes behind the ball or in the midfield (specifically mentioned his U18 work there and will work with Dawson closely in next 6-12 months) - first time I’ve ever heard him mention using Curtin as a midfielder and most in depth he’s gone about him since draft day

Has really enjoyed Hugh Bond’s work at sanfl level and will get an opportunity if that form continues
Just listening to it now too. I'm surprised nobody there mentioned his comments of playing Curtin onball in the coming weeks like you said. Mentioned Bond a few times which surprised me and said they knew about Taylor's debut well before media reported.

From the article
He mentioned Smith in the same breath as Curtin and Bond when he talked about "those guys" replacing Hamill. Then went and talked about how Smith was BOG and basically credited him with us beating Glenelg. He later said "Brodie is smashing the door down" when he talked about who was coming into the side. He's put the qualifier on "If the younger player is at the same form as the senior we go with the younger player" as to who gets picked, but barely talked about Curtin or Bond while talking endlessly about how good Brodie is.

Back