Preview R17: Changes vs. Brisbane Lions

Will Lachlan Murphy be dropped after half his disposals were turnovers?

• Yes

• Yes, but to the sub

• Nope, he's staying in

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't mind murphy if he was kicking 30-40 goals a season up there. But like in soccer, whats the point of a forward that doesn't kick goals

I think with a forward line containing TT, FOG, Walker, Rachele, Rankine we can have a defensive forward who we dont need to kick goals.

Just some tackles inside 50 would be nice. The issue is that Murphy is an SANFL level footballer who has ZERO elite traits.

We would be so much better if we just brought in a lightning fast player who could tackle.

I guess the only question is how did RT pull up?

I'm a conservative when it comes to knee injuries and would like to see 1 more game in the SANFL but I can also definitely see an argument to rush him back in to help propel us to 14th

Butts ain’t going anywhere. Rarely gets goals kicked on him, has lost only 9 contests the entire season. He’s a rock.
He's looked a lot better since he's stopped getting those niggling injuries every second week.

Does Smith get recalled after his SANFL performance? Hopefully to a wing to not disrupt the leadership/synergy they are building down back. Hopefully it also fulfills the leadership quota for a Murphy omission.

If TT is back in, Fog could draw the third defender and be in for a big day

I didn't see his SANFL performance and I have no idea how much time he spent on the ground, but I'm wondering how his 3 disposals equated to him looking good.
Misinformation. He had 9 disposals and three goals in greatly reduced game time. Nevertheless, he needs more time to get match fit in the SANFL.

Misinformation. He had 9 disposals and three goals in greatly reduced game time. Nevertheless, he needs more time to get match fit in the SANFL.
Are you getting confused between T.Murray and Thilthorpe?

Coming off a win where we looked structurally sound, I don't see a lot of changes happening.

The only players who could feasibly come in are:

Jones
Smith
Thilthorpe

Curtin is playing sore in the SANFL and has visibly slowed down. Can posters please stop calling for him to be selected, he's done for year IMO. He's a big unit, and they take a little longer to settle, I have no doubt a few more games at SANFL level and a decent preseason will hold him in good stead coming into 2025.

Cook for me has not been great. Poached a few goals the other week in the 4thQ, but really doesn't provide any solid leading options up forward, and is defensively lazy in the F50 with repeat efforts. I watched the game again this morning and he often just sits back behind the contest and is waiting for something to happen, or the ball to spill out. He's good at crumbing, and his disposal is excellent, but he has to become a more rounded footballer.

Pedlar and Schoenberg aren't doing anything to command selection at the moment. I know they were muddy conditions down at the Bay, but as Dawson indicated midweek, you will not be selected to play for the seniors unless you're got a run of form in the SANFL to press for selection.

Gollant and McHenry you'd imagine are in the wilderness now with selection, Gollant I could see another team taking on as a gamble, McHenry it's highly likely we retain for depth. Burgess will be kept for depth.

Ryan, Edwards and Murray all developing pretty well.

Borlase for me was excellent in the SANFL, I can see a club picking him up for depth, where we're absolutely flush. I have no idea who makes way when Worrell comes back.

My selections would be:

Outs: Himmelberg (omitted) Cook (omitted)
Ins : Thilthorpe, any one of Taylor, Smith or Jones to come in. I like the idea of Dowling playing up forward a bit more, has looked dangerous in the F50 at times.

Smith is moved to the wing, or Nankervis is shifted around, i don't care, TT is the main selection.

I think with a forward line containing TT, FOG, Walker, Rachele, Rankine we can have a defensive forward who we dont need to kick goals.

Just some tackles inside 50 would be nice. The issue is that Murphy is an SANFL level footballer who has ZERO elite traits.

We would be so much better if we just brought in a lightning fast player who could tackle.
With pick 5 the Adelaide Crows select.......

What I would do..

Garbage (Murphy) out - Taylor in

Laird out (pointless kick and hope hack, even at HB) - smithers back in.

I hate to say that as I think we need to give up on smith but his game against the tigers wont be ignored.. (through gritted teeth).. he was bloody good..

If not smith.. then jones back for Laird.

Himm out - TT back.

Pedlar sub.

Coming off a win where we looked structurally sound, I don't see a lot of changes happening.

The only players who could feasibly come in are:

Jones
Smith
Thilthorpe

Curtin is playing sore in the SANFL and has visibly slowed down. Can posters please stop calling for him to be selected, he's done for year IMO. He's a big unit, and they take a little longer to settle, I have no doubt a few more games at SANFL level and a decent preseason will hold him in good stead coming into 2025.

Cook for me has not been great. Poached a few goals the other week in the 4thQ, but really doesn't provide any solid leading options up forward, and is defensively lazy in the F50 with repeat efforts. I watched the game again this morning and he often just sits back behind the contest and is waiting for something to happen, or the ball to spill out. He's good at crumbing, and his disposal is excellent, but he has to become a more rounded footballer.

Pedlar and Schoenberg aren't doing anything to command selection at the moment. I know they were muddy conditions down at the Bay, but as Dawson indicated midweek, you will not be selected to play for the seniors unless you're got a run of form in the SANFL to press for selection.

Gollant and McHenry you'd imagine are in the wilderness now with selection, Gollant I could see another team taking on as a gamble, McHenry it's highly likely we retain for depth. Burgess will be kept for depth.

Ryan, Edwards and Murray all developing pretty well.

Borlase for me was excellent in the SANFL, I can see a club picking him up for depth, where we're absolutely flush. I have no idea who makes way when Worrell comes back.

My selections would be:

Outs: Himmelberg (omitted) Cook (omitted)
Ins : Thilthorpe, any one of Taylor, Smith or Jones to come in. I like the idea of Dowling playing up forward a bit more, has looked dangerous in the F50 at times.

Smith is moved to the wing, or Nankervis is shifted around, i don't care, TT is the main selection.
Cook doesn't look good playing deep forward because he's a winger. Play him high HF wing, rotating with Dowling/Taylor, and he'll look better. He has heaps of talent and should be persisted with. Dowling is a midfielder who can kick goals, not a forward as well.
I have no idea why you'd advocate for Smith or Jones to play ahead of any of them. One is cooked, the other has a lower ceiling.
Might be a fair point about Curtin. We can't pick him in the AFL in the role he's currently playing in the SANFL anyway (KPD), as he isn't that great at it. Needs a more running role across half back.
Ryan is a possible in as well for me, give him a go at some point before the end of the year.
I'd bring in TT and Taylor for Hberg and Murphy this week.

Centrals V Adelaide Sunday 7th July
F T Murray Burgess Gollant
HF McHenry Himmelberg Murphy
C Haysman Pedlar Smith
HB Ryan Madgen Bond
B J Boyle Borlase Gallagher
R Strachan Edwards Schoenberg
I O'Leary Thomas Tahana H Boyle

Brisbane V Adelaide Sunday 7th July
F Walker Thilthorpe Berry
HF Keays Fogarty Rachele
C Sholl Dawson Dowling
HB MLanne N Murray Hamill
B Keane Butts Hinge
R O'Brien Soligo Rankine
I Laird Curtin Taylor Nankervis
S Cook
E Jones

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Centrals V Adelaide Sunday 7th July
F T Murray Burgess Gollant
HF McHenry Himmelberg Murphy
C Haysman Pedlar Smith
HB Ryan Madgen Bond
B J Boyle Borlase Gallagher
R Strachan Edwards Schoenberg
I O'Leary Thomas Tahana H Boyle

Brisbane V Adelaide Sunday 7th July
F Walker Thilthorpe Dowling
HF Keays Fogarty Rachele
C Sholl Dawson Cook
HB MLanne N Murray Hamill
B Keane Butts Hinge
R O'Brien Soligo Rankine
I Laird Curtin Taylor Nankervis
S Jones
E Berry
Tough on Sam Berry who played probably his best game on the weekend.

21 disposals (13 contested, team high), 11 kicks 10 handballs @76.2%DE , 5 clearances, 7 tackles, 12 ground ball gets (team high), 7 score involvements, 35 pressure acts (game high)

21 disposals (13 contested, team high), 11 kicks 10 handballs @76.2%DE , 5 clearances, 7 tackles, 12 ground ball gets (team high), 7 score involvements, 35 pressure acts (game high)

There is a very small and specific set of players that should be used as the sub.
Berry should never be that player, and proved his worth with a full game.

True that
Swapped for Jones.

I thought the convo was about TT. Regarding Murray, I thought he looked excellent early. He attacked the ball and the oppo, like his brother and positively influenced several contests. None of this would have shown in the stats. He will develop nicely, I think.

He seemed to get hurt a couple of times later in the match and that definitely seemed to slow down his efforts.

Last edited:

General defensive forward is a dumb role that’s perpetuated by idiots. The players who are already at the ball through being targeted are responsible for applying defensive pressure if the don’t win the contest. Expecting a player to dummy lead to take their opponent out of the lane to somehow turn around and make up tens of metres to pressure someone is about as stupid a strategy as it gets. There are no regularly good defensive forwards that aren’t offensive threats first.

I guess the only question is how did RT pull up?

I'm a conservative when it comes to knee injuries and would like to see 1 more game in the SANFL but I can also definitely see an argument to rush him back in to help propel us to 14th

Surely the plan is limited minutes week one followed by a full hitout and then assess whether ready for AFL.

Back