Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing Smith has not caused us any loses this year, and has probably helped the development of Nankervis and Michalaney no end. It’s like saying North playing Ziebell for the last 2 years was a mistake. You can never know what good he did in the development of all their kids.
Why did smith feel the need to apologize to the playing group earlier this year?
Thats almost unprecedented isn’t it?

The herd won’t like these facts. Expect the normal crew to use their default negative emojis.

Smiths last few years have been absolutely fine - 5th and 7th in B&F. That said, this year there has been a regression and it isn’t unreasonable to question his role in the team IMO. But with Milera out, Parnell as a small defender out and Ryan building to a debut I can also see how one of our very few experienced players has been getting a regular gig. 5-6 players the other week over 100 games is crazy inexperience. But Nicks comments re Smith being a big part of our future do seem off the mark. He may have one year left in the team - at best,

Personally after Jones best half year in 2023, I would play him as the tight checking hard at it HBF. He took down Shai Bolton in that role a year or 2 ago and in his horrid form this year I think he is the logical choice to try HBF. Also feel Milera had a good year last year and is being missed along with many of our other injuries we all know about
What are you talking about? No ones arguing Smith hasn’t been a good player for the club, it’s his output this year that’s been questioned and then you go on and agree with that.

If you’re going to insert yourself and try to criticise posters along the way at least know what you’re talking about otherwise your just come across as an ignorant condescending twat again

We have easily the least experienced players in our side in the comp, only 2 really and it clearly costs us in close games. Your exclamation that other sides vets are good but ours aren’t, despite the stats showing clearly the opposite, is the perfect example of group mentality really.

BTW It was Nankervis that did that kick, but don’t let facts get in the way of your rant, sounds better to accuse Smith obviously.

And the word is heard.
“Clearly cost us in close games” ok got something to back this general statement up?

I’ll give you an example of experience costing us a close game, Sloane panicking and grabbing Daicos last year costing us a 50 and goal.

Another example, Smith in round 1 against Gold Coast, a couple of howlers cost goals.

What are you talking about? Which stats have you shown that we’ve got good experienced players in 2024, that includes Smith who are better than other clubs?

You’re right it was Nank, it’s the only thing you’ve been right on in this discussion.

And it’s “herd” look it up.

Trouble is you used stats to refute my argument, I then used those same stats to rebut and so you backtrack and use what Nicks has done as your fall back. This is the same Nicks you are criticizing in the same breath for picking Smith in the first place. Which is it? Is he right for picking him or for dropping him. Seriously, has there ever been a club great who is still averaging 20 posies off half back at 32 been the subject of so much ridiculous supporter crap.

Playing Smith has not caused us any loses this year, and has probably helped the development of Nankervis and Michalaney no end. It’s like saying North playing Ziebell for the last 2 years was a mistake. You can never know what good he did in the development of all their kids.
Suggest you watch round 1 again.

You reckon Nank and Max need Smith? You’re having a laugh.

What are you talking about? No ones arguing Smith hasn’t been a good player for the club, it’s his output this year that’s been questioned and then you go on and agree with that.

If you’re going to insert yourself and try to criticise posters along the way at least know what you’re talking about otherwise your just come across as an ignorant condescending twat again
Love the insults old son. You know you’ve won an argument when someone feels the need to resort to that. And if you think many posters haven’t been saying in recent mths that Smith was cooked last year then I am not sure what to say to you. Nothing is probably best.

PS what descriptive words would you use to describe yourself? :)

Love the insults old son. You know you’ve won an argument when someone feels the need to resort to that. And if you think many posters haven’t been saying in recent mths that Smith was cooked last year then I am not sure what to say to you. Nothing is probably best.

PS what descriptive words would you use to describe yourself? :)
Hypocrite much? You don’t think you throw out insults? You’re getting what you deserve.

We are talking about needing Smith this year, he’s using 2023 stats!

Some just don’t seem to get it tho.

We are 5 years into this and yet the sane shit is occurring. We get close, enough to be a tease but not good enough to get the chocolates.

Just think at the end of the year they will say :-

Well we got beaten by Gold Coast by 6 points, Melbourne by 15, Essendon by 3, Drew with Brisbane, Collingwood by 4, Richmond by 8 and Brisbane again by 11.

Our only win by less than a kick this year is Carlton and last year it was Hawthorn.

So the past two years - in games decided by less than 10 points we have a Wins 2 Losses 10. If we go out to 18 points it is Wins 4 Draw 1 Losses 14.

And it is interesting that both this close wins came by round 6 (round 5 this year).

I like that Hodgy is arguing against the safe groupthink that you see on this board, but 3 to 4 years is insane.

And I'm pretty sure it's herd mentality (as in herd of animals), not heard mentality (as in I heard something mental).

You think the club was part of the 'safe group think'?

They literally dropped him for the bad form that you guys are trying to deny has existed.

Smith can likely cruise around half back for another season and do okay but we really need that role to be for a developing mid, like Daicos and Sheezel got to start off with

If Smith was an interceptor/organiser like Stewart or would take the toughest medium/small opponent, then by all means carry on. But he isn't.

Would love to see what Taylor could do with a full game. Has done some real nice things in his limited game time (that last kick aside)
Without shifting too much blame, is that kind of kick a symptom of playing 2 quarters in 2 weeks?

You're given 20 minutes to prove yourself, you come on when the game is in the balance, and haven't acclimatized to the speed of the game. The coach has previously creamed his pants about the sub being an "impact" player. So you bite off a really tough to chew kick in hopes of being noticed in your extremely minimal game time.

I found it odd nicksy said the midfield in the first half was inexperienced. While Billy did play in there for some time in the second Rob, laird, Dawson, Rankine and to a lesser extent Berry were our midfield for the first half most post 25 years of age!!!

Murphy was incredibly fumbly at half forward in the first half and cost us vital opportunities near goal. His performance as a tagger in the second half was much better but the damage in the midfield and up forward was already done. Surely the one player you need to lock down when you play Brisbane is Lachie Neale. I cannot believe this was not a hard tag from first bounce

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I found it odd nicksy said the midfield in the first half was inexperienced. While Billy did play in there for some time in the second Rob, laird, Dawson, Rankine and to a lesser extent Berry were our midfield for the first half most post 25 years of age!!!

Murphy was incredibly fumbly at half forward in the first half and cost us vital opportunities near goal. His performance as a tagger in the second half was much better but the damage in the midfield and up forward was already done. Surely the one player you need to lock down when you play Brisbane is Lachie Neale. I cannot believe this was not a hard tag from first bounce
You found it odd? Why are you surprised? He’s talked shit all year and this is another case where the media will let him off.

And by inexperienced he’s referring to Dowling who only put on him late in the second half, but it’s worked he’s got his scapegoat

Of course he’s had some howlers this year, he did in 2017 as well. In fact show me a player that hasn’t. I’m fascinated about your comment about Knicks btw, as everyone I talk too has him as a “George Pell”. Ie loves the kids. He certainly seems to love McHenry.

We must have easily the most kids in the side and the least senior players in the comp. Smith would have been a kid in Geelong’s premiership 2 years ago.

And that Neale mark was contested against two 6 foot plus key backs in our side, are you really blaming Smith. This is the problem as I see it, it’s easy to find examples of players you hate stuffing up, just ignore the 21 times they didn’t. Sure sounds like heard mentality to me.
WTF?

The only problem with your stats argument with a player like Brodie Smith is that since 2019 kick ins after a point are counted as a stat.

Given that he is one of our main players in terms of our kick ins there's most probably about 6 or 7 bonus possessions a game that he's getting compared to his pre 2019 stats.

If you were to go through the games and take his kick in stats from his numbers and compare it to his stats prior to his knee injury it's a huge drop off.
It also positively impacts his effective disposal stat.

I am constantly amazed at where people choose to lay the blame for us not being top 4. Pretty simple really.

Neale 36 touches 10 clearances and 3 goals vs Dawson 16 touches 2 clearances and 0 goals
Dunkley 35 touches 7 clearances and 1 goal vs Soligo 16 touches 5 clearances and 1 goal
Oscar 14 touches and 5 clearances vs ROB 8 touches and 0 clearances

Everywhere else on the ground we won today. We legitimately had 18 players who played their hearts out against last years grand finalists at their home deck and we nearly won and can hold their heads high. We are losing pure and simple because we haven’t drafted even close to a reasonable level with out first rounds for 12 years and we haven’t addressed the midfield in that time. Everything else is smoke, we simply don’t have the same level of A grade mids that every other team has, and that’s on our recruiting.

Wasn’t Laird our primary mid?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back