Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith can likely cruise around half back for another season and do okay but we really need that role to be for a developing mid, like Daicos and Sheezel got to start off with

If Smith was an interceptor/organiser like Stewart or would take the toughest medium/small opponent, then by all means carry on. But he isn't.
Curtin...

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He did but it was the usual danger with doing it.. the whiplash from the hit makes the heads sway in and collide.
The way I saw it, Starcevich initiated the contact and simply came off second best. Rankine really protecting himself by standing up to the bigger player. This game is even more f*cked than I thought if he goes for that.

Cook had a poor game skills wise except for maybe 2 disposals. There was one in the D50 where he drew a player, stepped around them and then kicked across his body 40 meters to a target on the wing. If only we could get him the ball 20 times! Super talented

I can only imagine that being the case if it was something genuinely thuggish, Barry Hall style.

It wouldn't be the sport they'd be suing. It would be their place of work - the AFL. And the AFL has a duty of care to their employees.

Boxers are individuals. They could sue their management, they could even try to sue the organisations they fight for, but it would be a pretty hard case to win.

Yes, the AFL could ask the players to sign a piece of paper that says "you assume all risk for playing in the comp", but (a) the AFLPA would rightly tell them to get stuffed, and (b) I'm guessing such a clause could be deemed unlawful anyway.

The fact is, we should be doing everything possible to prevent head injuries. The AFL should be outlawing any and all actions that come with significant risk to the head. Yes, that includes letting players put a knee in the back of someone's head when they take a spectacular mark. Yes, that includes tackling players in such a way that they can't protect their head. And yes, that includes bumping players into the turf. Those actions should all be banned. Yes, people will complain. The old-timers on commentary will lament the sport has gone soft, and some fans will switch off. That's why it takes courage to make that sort of decision.

The AFL has shown themselves to be as craven as it gets. They will make tiny, ineffective little rule tweaks, while inconsistently applying their own rules and occasionally making an example out of someone. What they won't do is take any concrete steps to protect the head.

Employees have much the same duty though.

Our midfield is otherwise so bad we can't carry a player of the calibre of Murphy as one of three/four main mids at stoppages, even if he's playing a defensive role
Yep. The problem is match-ups. You can use him against a low to the ground ball magnet like Neale, but put him up against any taller mid and he'd be useless. I think the issue yesterday was that the tagging move should've been from the first bounce. even Brisbane recognised that Rankine is our match-winner and put a lot of work into him early. Any decent coach would, and usually do, try and cancel out the best opposition player, and yet we wait until half time.

The way I saw it, Starcevich initiated the contact and simply came off second best. Rankine really protecting himself by standing up to the bigger player. This game is even more f*cked than I thought if he goes for that.
Just watched it. Unfortunately Rankine takes a couple of steps towards him. Hope I'm wrong, but I think he gets games for that. Who on earth will they promote to replace him - I shudder to think!!

I’m honestly baffled by the Smith hate that has emerged in the last 18 months. Judging by your profile, you have obviously been around footy for a while, so honestly, explain it to me. I think everyone would agree he has been a great player, so why last year, when he averaged more possessions than his career average, he laid more tackles than his career average, he took more marks than his career average and he averaged more rebound and inside 50’s than his career average did everyone suddenly decide he was no good. He was only 31 for gods sake.

You must have been very surprised that he was dropped this year. Smith isn’t influencing games anymore. His stats are padded by kickouts and the rest are largely received that he just bombs forward indiscriminately. Gone are the days where he’d take ground on foot, break that line and then execute a flat 55m bullet to the chest of a teammate. Focussing only on stats (cough Laird cough) is very AFC though. V

The ugly:

An absolute hack like Rory Laird, who has clearly drunk far too much of his own tepid bathwater, giving our young guys a serve when they dont include his need to stat pad so he can reach his KPI’s in their decision making or they make the tiniest of mistakes.

Just heck off Rory.. you’re barely SANFL standard you sky ball kicking flog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has been explained and it’s been explained.

This club does not make change unless it’s forced which is by poor results. We weren’t ever going to win that game even if the margin was close. It was a typical Crows performance under Nicks, get behind, be gallant in defeat. So that close loss is pointless.

If posters have that opinion it’s not up to you to decide how we support. The ultimate aim is a flag, if there’s pain along the way so be it, what we’ve been doing hasn’t worked.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the game, but the first score I saw was 3.1 (19) to zip. Knew at that point that we'd not win, despite the fact I knew we'd make a game of it.

I thought given how many posts you have that you would be able to have an opinion withought it being “ everyone hates this guy so I do too”.

No honest analysis supports your argument btw. Smiths Disposal efficiency was in his top 3 years last year, as was his meters gained. You say his defensive work fell away, however it was one of his best ever years for goals against and at the top for rebound 50’s. Your post is actually really disappointing as a Crows man, as Brodie Smith is genuinely one of our champions and like all our club champions doesn’t deserve to be abused by supporters, especially when the facts don’t back up their predujices.

Is it still 2023 where you watch the game from?

There are some hard truths that disgruntled, sack-Nicks-now posters like me have to face in the post quoted below:
Look, just face it. THERE IS NO PRESSURE ON NICKS. They just signed him for two years! Unless we get flogged by 10+ goals every single week until the end of the season, Nicks will STILL be our coach next year.
Although I think Nicks is under pressure like any underachieving AFL Coach would be, that signing from nearly 4 months ago is set in stone and has been supported (inexplicably, imo) by the Club Admin. at every opportunity.
Nicks will take us to the end of 2024 and most likely to the bye of 2025 at the very least. It's irrelevant that I think, with many others, that's at least a year too long. Fair enough, Jenny.
This carry on you all are bleating is useless.
In a Forum like this, we're allowed (if not encouraged) to comment and discuss and agree/disagree within the Rules which are often stretched. provided posters don't get personal.
Jenny, your posts are no more the "bleating" of sheep than those with whom you disagree. I know you're annoyed by the negativity; many others are too, for different reasons, but that negativity is spawned by the Crows' failures.
The team is there and there abouts.
Well, that's the thing, isn't it? :confusedv1:
The Crows have had twice as many losses this year as wins, so while they are IN the Comp, they are not "thereabouts" in terms of success which at the very least has got to be making Finals.
Take any team in any professional top-of-the sport Competition; a 5-10-1 record is not even break-even in terms of the success by which teams and Coaches are measured, eg
--- in the 20-team IPL (2023-24) the teams with 10 losses after 16 rounds were West Ham (16th) and Southampton/Wolves (19th/20th).
--- in the NRL 2024 (17 teams) the Titans with 10 losses after 16 rounds are 15th.

I could probably find more mediocre teams in other pro-sports' Comps, but the point is none of those teams are "thereabouts". They are failing, just like our Crows.

Not good enough to beat a rampant Lions team on their home turf, but only lose by less than two goals. This is NOT a sackable offence.
The Lions are not "rampant" (they're 8th., yawn), nor were they 'rampant' yesterday. If anything, the poorly-skilled, fumbly, hesitant Crows dragged Brisbane down to that level. In terms of skill-execution, yesterday's game was an error-filled eyesore.
2024Brisbane are not the side of 2023, they are not Sydney 2024( who've been knocked off twice recently!), or Collingwood at their best last year.

I agree, yesterday's loss alone is not a sackable offence, but it's not an outlier. It fits a losing pattern that Nicks has established with the team ie get behind, fight to come back, then lose.
One loss does not define a season or a Coach (even if it fits a miserable, losing pattern), but
64 losses in 99 games does.
I'm so, so sick of the Crows losing/ not contending under Nicks. Aren't you? :confusedv1:
How many opportunities, how many years, how many Assistants would you give him until you want him gone, too?
If Nicks continues to not develop the kids, then his head WILL be on the chopping block if we find ourselves in a similar position next year. He will only have himself to blame.
I agree.
Nicks now has the rest of this year and until the bye of next year (his 6th year!) to turn it around.
Can he? Jenny, I hope like Hell he can, but the signs aren't good to say the least.
Will he? I do not think so.
If the Bye comes around next year and we're sitting snug in the Top 6 with a good % and playing well, I'll be as happy as a Crow on a carcass, delighted to be wrong and effusive in my praise of Nicks and the team.
Meanwhile ... not.
In the mean time, don’t waste your twisted knickers on something that just ain’t happening.
Fwiw, I don't wear knickers or even tried them on out of curiosity or for fun :sneaky:. I'm a navy blue, untwistable
Y-fronts Crowbloke :confused:.

You're right. We're stuck with Nicks.
I have to accept that, but I do not have to like it.

I'm really happy to see the progress of Dowling, i can't see him being an elite midfielder, but he clearly has the capacity to be solid and a good addition to Soligo and Rankine.

if we can actuality draft a gun midfielder we might finally start seeing improvement in the next 2 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back