Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, I know you are all disappointed how our season has gone - we ALL are - players and coaches alike. Funnily, my hubby said at the end of last season he thought we would likely take a step back this year before moving ahead next year, I pooh poohed it, but clearly he was right. Apparently it's quite common for a developing team to do this. Also on the back of a career best season from Tex last year, unless he replicated that form, and losing TT before the season started, we were always going to struggle.

Make no mistake, Nicks has made some shocking decisions this year with regards to selection and player development. I see him surrounded by a bargain basement group of assistants so, to me, the blame doesn't fall solely at his feet, but also the inability of the club to get quality personnel into the footy department. Even Fagan at Brisbane has invited Stewart Dew into the coaches box to oversee the game and give insights. That's what Nicks needs (IMO) desperately.

Having said that, the irrational hate that the "herd" has for Nicks (and indeed the Club) and players like Smith and Murphy has reached ridiculous proportions in here. Particularly when there's absolutely nothing any of us can do about any of it. It's one thing to voice your disappointment, quite another for the vehement character assassination on said coaches or - particularly the players - they don't select themselves after all. I don't think wanting your team to get flogged by 10 goals is helpful in any shape or form. Does it force change? Maybe. Is it the right sort of change that we need? Possibly not if made under duress or as a knee jerk reaction. I would like to see a well thought out and coordinated approach to the changes we need.

I know we got close, but it never felt like we were ever in it as it seemed like Brisbane just cruised in 2nd gear for most of the game.
I had the same feeling, right from our slow start.
Every time we got close they kicked away again. i'm not sure if they were playing two-level footy ie just do enough to win, but if they are able to turn it on then slow it down, good luck to them. Collingwood won last year's Flag doing just that.
The thing that hits home every time I watch us play is just how horrendous our brand of footy is. We put huge numbers around the ball, continually play wide and there never seems to be a lot of system as to how we move the ball. There's no way that neutral supporters would be watching our games and getting excited about the brand of footy we're playing.
It's Ross Lyon levels of ugly.....
This.
Not just ugly; it's losing footy. I don't mind winning ugly.

Last edited:

How does intentional work?

If Rankine meant to bump him but accidentally caught him high, does that count as intentional?
Yes. The intention is the act - what happens when the player decides to act

Just as jumper punches can slip up or down

The way I saw it, Starcevich initiated the contact and simply came off second best. Rankine really protecting himself by standing up to the bigger player. This game is even more f*cked than I thought if he goes for that.

Then you saw it very wrong or through blue, yellow and red eyes.

Look, I know you are all disappointed how our season has gone - we ALL are - players and coaches alike. Funnily, my hubby said at the end of last season he thought we would likely take a step back this year before moving ahead next year, I pooh poohed it, but clearly he was right. Apparently it's quite common for a developing team to do this. Also on the back of a career best season from Tex last year, unless he replicated that form, and losing TT before the season started, we were always going to struggle.

Make no mistake, Nicks has made some shocking decisions this year with regards to selection and player development. I see him surrounded by a bargain basement group of assistants so, to me, the blame doesn't fall solely at his feet, but also the inability of the club to get quality personnel into the footy department. Even Fagan at Brisbane has invited Stewart Dew into the coaches box to oversee the game and give insights. That's what Nicks needs (IMO) desperately.

Having said that, the irrational hate that the "herd" has for Nicks (and indeed the Club) and players like Smith and Murphy has reached ridiculous proportions in here. Particularly when there's absolutely nothing any of us can do about any of it. It's one thing to voice your disappointment, quite another for the vehement character assassination on said coaches or - particularly the players - they don't select themselves after all. I don't think wanting your team to get flogged by 10 goals is helpful in any shape or form. Does it force change? Maybe. Is it the right sort of change that we need? Possibly not if made under duress or as a knee jerk reaction. I would like to see a well thought out and coordinated approach to the changes we need.
Agree we shouldn't be abusing the players.

This season is a complete and utter fail though. "They are trying their best" isn't good enough for an elite sporting organisation. We're a basket case.

People like Silvers and Adam Kelly get off way too lightly. Make them front the cameras and explain to fans why we have an SANFL quality coaching panel.

I'm really happy to see the progress of Dowling, i can't see him being an elite midfielder, but he clearly has the capacity to be solid and a good addition to Soligo and Rankine.

if we can actuality draft a gun midfielder we might finally start seeing improvement in the next 2 years.
I think he can work well in the high HF role initially where he uses his running capacity to good effect with his ability to get the ball inside and outside the contest. Hopefully he can tidy up his kicking a bit more and get some more opportunities in the middle as well.

Hopefully he becomes a good role player for us at least as I think he’s showing more composure than McHenry as an example.

2 of the 3 line coaches are Burns and VB, are they really bargain basement? Hombsch seems to be quite ok, our defence has been holding up quite well given the amount of quality ball they’ve got to deal with.

2 of the 3 line coaches are Burns and VB, are they really bargain basement? Hombsch seems to be quite ok, our defence has been holding up quite well given the amount of quality ball they’ve got to deal with.
I doubt it has anything to do with the quality of Hombsch but everything to do with the talent of players we have back there. We have some star kids in the backline. We always seem to be good at building a backline and a forward line, midfield...well history tells we suck at that.

If Rankine meant to bump him but accidentally caught him high, does that count as intentional?
Depends on your team, profile & good character references...

But in short - yes.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the game, but the first score I saw was 3.1 (19) to zip. Knew at that point that we'd not win, despite the fact I knew we'd make a game of it.
I don't know who is giving our pre-game motivational speeches all year, but clearly we need someone else given we usually have tardy starts & playing catchup for rest of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some just don’t seem to get it tho.

We are 5 years into this and yet the sane shit is occurring. We get close, enough to be a tease but not good enough to get the chocolates.

Just think at the end of the year they will say :-

Well we got beaten by Gold Coast by 6 points, Melbourne by 15, Essendon by 3, Drew with Brisbane, Collingwood by 4, Richmond by 8 and Brisbane again by 11.

Our only win by less than a kick this year is Carlton and last year it was Hawthorn.

So the past two years - in games decided by less than 10 points we have a Wins 2 Losses 10. If we go out to 18 points it is Wins 4 Draw 1 Losses 14.

And it is interesting that both this close wins came by round 6 (round 5 this year).
How many of these games have we actually looked like winning? Not many imo.

Usually we have a poor start & the opposition can control the game... put their foot down when we make a comeback.

Nothing will change with the current coaching group.

No honest analysis supports your argument btw. Smiths Disposal efficiency was in his top 3 years last year, as was his meters gained. You say his defensive work fell away, however it was one of his best ever years for goals against and at the top for rebound 50’s. Your post is actually really disappointing as a Crows man, as Brodie Smith is genuinely one of our champions and like all our club champions doesn’t deserve to be abused by supporters, especially when the facts don’t back up their predujices.
relapse , do you wanna explain to him that you clearly used the words "this year", and that you have affirmed previously that Smith has been a terrific player for us, or shall I?

Oh, wait ... :sneaky:

Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the game, but the first score I saw was 3.1 (19) to zip. Knew at that point that we'd not win, despite the fact I knew we'd make a game of it.

It's trademark Crows too to "win" from that point on. Giving opponents a head start is the exact issue we've had for years and they still can't figure it out.

GC: 13 points down after 13 minutes (0-13). Lost by 6.
Ess: 9 points down after 12 minutes (1-10). Lost by 3.
Coll: 8 points down after 10 minutes (0-8). Lost by 4.
Rich: 18 points down after 20 minutes (3-21). Lost by 8.
Bris: 19 points down after 8 minutes (0-19). Lost by 11.

Convert 3 of those into wins and we're a game out of the 8.

Yes.

Head clashes are explicitly listed as a foreseeable consequence of a bump too. To escape suspension he'd either have to show there was no head clash (objectively false), or demonstrate that he actively tried to prevent a head clash (thinnest of thin chances).

Good: Less good here than some bigger losses to worse teams, Brisbane didn’t play well and we didn’t take advantage. Felt we played a dumb game. Maybe Keays kicking 4 against the team that delisted him, good for him.

Bad: If you can limit Neale, Brisbane really struggle, you let him do what he wants, Brisbane win. It’s shown over and over again and we decided to let him go. Sure he had less when we finally sent someone to him but it was Murphy who doesn’t play that role, so Neale works it out and dominates the last quarter. Flat out dumb.

Ugly: Likely losing Rankine for weeks for something that wasn’t a free kick 2 years ago.

Oh the 'herd' have reached fever pitch. Grown adults out here spitting petty hate is 100% cringe.

You won't find a more toxic online environment that the Adelaide BigFooty threads.

So this won’t be intentional then? No one intentionally tries to bump head on head.
No, will be intentional that Rankine deliberately made contact. Not where he made contact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back