Preview R18: Changes vs. St. Kilda

Who do you think will replace Rankine in the 22 this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, I meant and what about last year?
In 2023 Laird polled the following AFLCA votes:
R2 (vs Richmond): 4 votes
R5 (vs Carlton): 9 votes (equal best with Dawson)
R6 (vs Hawthorn): 6 votes (2nd most votes for game)
R7 (vs Collingwood): 1 vote
R11 (vs Brisbane): 10 votes (BOG from both coaches)
R13 (vs Weagles): 7 votes (equal 2nd most votes for game)
R17 (vs Essendon): 1 vote (only Crows player to receive a vote)
R23 (vs Sydney): 3 votes (most of all Crows players)
R24 (vs Weagles): 4 votes

That's a total of 45 votes in 9 games, from 22 games played. He was BOG, or equal BOG, in 2 matches - and the best Crows player in 2 other matches.

In 2024 he's received 14 votes in 2 games, from 16 games played.

That's a significant decrease.

Source:
https://aflcoaches.com.au/awards/th...r-of-the-year-award/leaderboard/2023/20240124

Four weeks for Rankine.

Surprised they don't take our draft picks and access to Welsh while they are at it.
I am a bit late to the party on this one as i wasn't thinking it was even going to get a second look. 4 weeks eh. I hope the club are going to go at the AFL on that one and appeal it as thats surely a joke...its never a ban let alone 4 weeks

I am a bit late to the party on this one as i wasn't thinking it was even going to get a second look. 4 weeks eh. I hope the club are going to go at the AFL on that one and appeal it as thats surely a joke...its never a ban let alone 4 weeks
Of course it's a ban. He opted to bump and had a head clash which resulted in the player being subbed out with concussion. Anyone thinking it was going to be less than 3 weeks were kidding themselves.

Four weeks for Rankine.

Surprised they don't take our draft picks and access to Welsh while they are at it.

Was always 3, not sure 4 is that much a surprise. I think I heard them say impact was ‘severe’, which does seem excessive though. I’d have thought that’s where faces are fractured. You can be concussed from a mild knock, depends on your own genetics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems in line with previous decisions for off the ball hits causing concussion
When is the other player's lack of awareness ever going to be taken into account?

Taggers can scrag all game, players can gut punch hell even punch them in face and only get fined? The fact you can get penalized more purely off the fact that someone you're playing against is more acceptable to concussion than you or others is kinda bullshit.

If Rankine didn't duck under the Harris Andrews elbow he'd also be getting 4 weeks, Andrews is lucky Rankine had awareness and made him look silly

I still go back to the degoey bump on the west coast lad.(hewitt)..that was straight head high hit...only got 3 weeks...you can see this was a misjudgement by rankine with both players heads clashing but he plays for the crows so that's why it's 4 I guess

Announced just before round 5? 12 weeks so yeah three months. Doesn’t change the fact though.

Announced 4 days after round 1 loss. 3 and a half months. But yeh, I agree with you, safe as houses this year, no matter what happened. There's no way that the board admit such a massive blunder. We're stuck with him no matter what.

Back