Preview R19: Changes vs. Essendon

Will Daniel Curtin come into the 22 this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

**** me listening to Roo talk him up in the commentary was just cringe. Like 3 highlights for the game.
Yeah.. that made me want to turn the game off and hope we lost.. just goes to prove that there are some morons in charge (Roo being one of them) at the club who have their own ideas and agenda and play favourites with the players.. and they will do anything to talk them up to justify this..

How anyone at that club can watch what Murphy provides week in week out and say “he’s important and is leadership material” is beyond me. The bloke is barely SANFL standard.

I can't see too many changes beyond Thilthorpe definitely starting the game, with Himmelberg the likely out.

Suspect it's more likely that Jones comes in than Curtin, mainly because I'm not sure what role Curtin is playing. Not opposed to him playing Smith's role but I think it's more likely that some combination of Jones, Nankervis and Michalanney fills in there, if Smith does get dropped. At a guess I think just the one change.

Out: Smith, Laird, Burg
In: Ryan, Curtin, TT

No need for Laird, we have too many youngsters to run through the midfield - they need Lairds midfield minutes.

Same for Smith, he's offering nothing that a youngster couldn't do - despite Nicks declaring Smith is our future.

TT for Burg is straightforward.

Smith has to be out.

All other issues aside, it is clear that he no longer wants to put his body on the line. That’s fair, he’s 32 and probably a bit bashed up, but it is an obvious sign that his time is up. It’s alarmingly frequent the amount of times he makes key errors out of self preservation. Last night he had an opportunity to tackle Marshall in the middle of the ground, he didn’t put his body in to the tackle, tried to arm tackle and got shrugged off. It nearly cost us a goal.

Our senior players have a poor track record when it comes to accepting a tap on the shoulder, but surely it’s better to walk away now then tarnish your legacy and have fans calling for your head?

Yeah.. that made me want to turn the game off and hope we lost.. just goes to prove that there are some morons in charge (Roo being one of them) at the club who have their own ideas and agenda and play favourites with the players.. and they will do anything to talk them up to justify this..

How anyone at that club can watch what Murphy provides week in week out and say “he’s important and is leadership material” is beyond me. The bloke is barely SANFL standard.
Murphy has very good Footy IQ. That is why they like him. Also, the reason he got into the AFL

Unfortunately, his physical skills are not AFL quality, and now is the time he plays more SANFL as we have some quality younger guys.

Murphy's value should be as Reserves captain in a player/coach role.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve given up on Murphy being omitted, on some of his performances should have been by now

Murphy and Smith are the next two players to be worked out of the mix. McHenry was culled earlier in the year (playing sub and in and out of the side), Jones appears to be out for the rest of the year as does Harry (injuries aside)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Experienced players like Smith earn the right to be there through the wins they've generated

Part of a winning culture
They know how to win
They know what it takes to win
They stand up in big games
They lead by example on field
They will positively influence the younger players coming through

The dismal stretch of years we've had surely diminishes those rights.

We can't beat Essendon when they're utter garbage, not sure we'll get it done when they're semi reasonable

Yep Essendon are a bogey team. They run and gun well against us and we usually struggle to go with their speed.
Hopefully we see Keays tag Martin, someone tag Merrett and we may be a chance

And O’Brien can’t completely spud it up

Roo would be given a few talking points from PR. He'll slip then in if he thinks the opportunity is there.

Out:- Walker (managed), Murphy
In:- Curtin, Ryan

B:- Bond. Butts. Keane
HB:- Nankervis. Murray. Michaelanney
C:- Sholl. Dawson. Dowling
1R:- O’Brien. Soligo. Laird
HF:- Keays. Fogarty. Rachelle
FF:- Thillthorpe. Himmelberg. Taylor
Int:- Ryan. Cook. Berry. Curtin
Sub:- Smith
Done. Lock it in and throw away the key.

Smith has to be out.

All other issues aside, it is clear that he no longer wants to put his body on the line. That’s fair, he’s 32 and probably a bit bashed up, but it is an obvious sign that his time is up. It’s alarmingly frequent the amount of times he makes key errors out of self preservation. Last night he had an opportunity to tackle Marshall in the middle of the ground, he didn’t put his body in to the tackle, tried to arm tackle and got shrugged off. It nearly cost us a goal.

Our senior players have a poor track record when it comes to accepting a tap on the shoulder, but surely it’s better to walk away now then tarnish your legacy and have fans calling for your head?

Smith put his body on the line a few times “right in front of me”
Didn’t have a very good game but one thing I will say is he put his body on the line to break up play. Maybe watch the replay again

Smith put his body on the line a few times “right in front of me”
Didn’t have a very good game but one thing I will say is he put his body on the line to break up play. Maybe watch the replay again

I’ve lost count of the number of times he hasn’t this year.

It’s something that I never would have said about him in the past.

That’s my whole point, I don’t judge him for it, footy is a brutal, painful game and he’s played a hell of a lot of it. I don’t blame him if he takes a few short steps now.

However, as a senior player, when you start regularly pulling out of contests that you never would have in the past, I think that’s a sign that maybe you’re not 100% committed anymore and it’s time to go.

I love Smith, he’s been an awesome player and deserves to go out on a high. But right now he’s hurting his legacy a bit and we need to move on.

I wonder if Nicks has learnt from the Neale debacle and will actually put a tag on Merrett from the start? He tried Murphy on Neale in the second half and somewhat limited him so, if he stays, in the very least try that instead of him sitting there not offering anything.

I’ve lost count of the number of times he hasn’t this year.

It’s something that I never would have said about him in the past.

That’s my whole point, I don’t judge him for it, footy is a brutal, painful game and he’s played a hell of a lot of it. I don’t blame him if he takes a few short steps now.

However, as a senior player, when you start regularly pulling out of contests that you never would have in the past, I think that’s a sign that maybe you’re not 100% committed anymore and it’s time to go.

I love Smith, he’s been an awesome player and deserves to go out on a high. But right now he’s hurting his legacy a bit and we need to move on.

As cooked a player as we've had. If that trigger has been hit, hopefully we've got enough cap space to pay him out and he retires. Not sure we've got that many obvious delistings this year, so spots will again be at a premium. Cant waste one on a player with no current or future value.

I wonder if Nicks has learnt from the Neale debacle and will actually put a tag on Merrett from the start? He tried Murphy on Neale in the second half and somewhat limited him so, if he stays, in the very least try that instead of him sitting there not offering anything.

This is the sort of role Laird should have been developed into to support the rebuild. Played plenty of games and even spent time as a defender. He should be capable of shutting someone out of the game and even winning a bit of ball

Is that something we could look at Bond doing? Big ask for a 2nd gamer I guess. Has he been purely a defensive half stopper in the Snaffle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R19: Changes vs. Essendon

Back