Preview R19: Changes vs. Essendon

Will Daniel Curtin come into the 22 this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Won 4/13 against them at Marvel and haven't beaten them anywhere for 7 years...
That's astonishing. They haven't been that good. I remember the night we kicked 30 goals on them. OK it was 18 years ago .

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

ROB 7/52 taps to advantage
Himmelberg & Thilthorpe 3/12 taps to advantage... much higher rate!
Marshall 12/47

Time to try the Berg & TT combo.
Berg & TT weren't (mostly) rucking against Marshall, and St Kilda's support ruck is a pygmy.

We're not comparing apples with apples here, it's apples vs bananas.

Not suggesting that we couldn't or shouldn't try going a game without either ROB or Strachan, but those taps to advantage figures should not be used as evidence to recommend it.

On SM-X205 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wouldnt mind Rash playing a game just as a crumbing forward to the bear in the square, peppering the goals for a week

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If Soligo is struggling a bit with his groins, I’d love to see them give Rachelle a full game in the middle to get him involved.

I'd like to see:
  • Himmelberg out <-> Thilthorpe in (the 22)
  • Smith out <-> Curtin in
  • Cook out (sub) <-> Hinge in
I think that's getting closer to not just a best 22 but also a team that has an eye to the future. Get Rankine back for Murphy and then keep a spot warm for Worrell and we're looking much better.

I'd like to see:
  • Himmelberg out <-> Thilthorpe in (the 22)
  • Smith out <-> Curtin in
  • Cook out (sub) <-> Hinge in
I think that's getting closer to not just a best 22 but also a team that has an eye to the future. Get Rankine back for Murphy and then keep a spot warm for Worrell and we're looking much better.
Who is out for Worrell?

Wouldnt mind Rash playing a game just as a crumbing forward to the bear in the square, peppering the goals for a week

Sadly our coaching makes sure we have the opposite structure.
We are always pushing our small forwards up to the wing, and leave our 3 biggest, slowest forwards together deep forward with no crumbers. It's genius.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you pick Bond or Hamill?

Hamill did nothing wrong to lose his spot other then get injured. And I've only seen 1 game of Bond, and I think there's a lot to work with. So for me they are on relatively level ground until proven otherwise.

I'd pick both over Brodie right now.

That's a tricky one. You'd think Hamill, but he has 5 years on Bond.
And Bond looks like a better pure small defender. Something we haven't really had since Luke Brown.
Good call on Luke Brown. Was a very underrated Crow and had some of toughest jobs in a generation of exceptional small forwards.

Bond to me also looks a step or 2 quicker and apparently a super hard runner. So could probably be useful all over the field in that role if needed.

Essendon don't have a pure small forward, perhaps running with Nic Martin might help with his education?
Yeah good point. TBH if he wants an education maybe he could have a spurt or 2 on Zach Merrett.

He's the exact type of mid who usually burns us. And Hugh looks like a match physically (speed, size, endurance).

Massive call for a 2nd gamer, but why not right? Season is shot, time to give some kids a role they wouldn't usually be given

Team selection for the balance of the year must be done for 2025 and beyond.

Please get rid of Murphy, he is not and never will be AFL standard, you know your coach has NFI when he keeps picking a complete 100 game wasted spud.

I feel another honourable loss (we are the anti Pies) coming up, they are Nicks specialty

Please get rid of Murphy, he is not and never will be AFL standard, you know your coach has NFI when he keeps picking a complete 100 game wasted spud.

I feel another honourable loss (we are the anti Pies) coming up, they are Nicks specialty
Even if we pick the younger guys now, you know R1 of 2025 we will have Laird, Crouch, Smith, Murphy and probably an underdone Milera in the side.

That's just how we roll.

Guys like Dowling, Taylor, Curtin, Bond, Ryan and Pedlar will have to fight it out over the last couple of spots in the side.

I disagree, now the finals are out of the question I don't predict honourable losses anymore.

I predict ladder comprising wins!

Starting with this week against a Essendon team who is right on the cusp of a end of season free fall from finals.

Them losing just enough games to finish 9th is almost as predictable as us winning just enough to end up with pick 6 or even 7 if the AFL gifts a BS compo pick so a crappy Vic team can offload a Vic Plodder to a slightly less crappy Vic team

Surprisingly I don’t disagree with any of this. Forgot about Hinge. Berg definitely unlucky but he was always warming the seat until TT came good. Smith out for Hinge I can live with. Do we have an Essendon player that needs shutting down? Be interesting to see what Bond can do if he doesn’t have a lock down role.

Personally I would be tagging Nick Martin and Merrett this week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Tagging is one thing but for any player, if the opponent you're standing next to is on his way to 3 Brownlow votes and completely humiliating you, wouldn't you tighten up on him a fraction?

We seem oblivious to standout performers at times. Or hide behind rotation

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R19: Changes vs. Essendon

Back