Preview R21 Elimination Final: Melbourne v St.Kilda - MCG (A), Sunday 13th, 1:10pm AEST *Brown's 150th*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please god no, billy was magnificent last week.. no need to meddle with the ruck

Wouldn't Hickey just play full forward and ruck when Billy needs a rest , I wouldn't call it meddling with the ruck . If Bruce goes into the ruck we will be left with just Members as a marking forward which means a very small forward line . I imagine Hickey would do alright against whoever is their second ruck while hopefully Billy takes care of Gawn.

Surely Hickey comes in? Put him forward and it will really stretch their defence. It will also allow Bruce to play forward for the entirety of the match.
Agree with playing Hickey as we need to nullify Gawn in the ruck. It's asking a lot of Bruce to expect him to be competitive against the likes of Gawn and other power ruckman in the competition.

Wouldn't Hickey just play full forward and ruck when Billy needs a rest , I wouldn't call it meddling with the ruck . If Bruce goes into the ruck we will be left with just Members as a marking forward which means a very small forward line .

Doesn't suit our game style imo..

Better to just play a smaller forward line and gilbo between the arcs as that roo roaming role

Thanks for putting that up , I wasn't there that week not sure why . What a great performance by Milney . How was the chant when he lined up for goal 11 . Awesome 11 straight, would love someone to kick like that now .

I remember Leigh Matthews a few years later talking about that game and how he tried everything he could think of to try stop Milne but nothing worked that night .

Better to just play a smaller forward line and gilbo between the arcs as that roo roaming role

What's so different , still three marking forwards potentially anyway lol. Hickey is quick enough to lead a little bit especially as they would have to play a tall guy on him . Anyway I don't know what the weather will be like on Sunday so we will have to wait and see which way the selectors go.

Acres can drift forward if necessary. He can kick goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forget Carlisle forward. Gilbert does ok as a forward. Very good defensively. Carlisle is a very good back.
Agreed, like us Melbourne often have a bomb it long mentality when entering their forward 50. Without Hogan, Jake is the best contested mark in their forward 50 and they'll be kicking it down his throat 50% of the time

Disappointing that Riewoldt couldn't get up for this game but in the form he's been in recently he's not the huge loss he used to be.

No one really deserves to be dropped so it should just be Gilbert in for him, he can pinch hit up forward and in the ruck so would be a handy inclusion.

Pretty torn because it his best he is such a vital player, but he's looked absolutely disinterested since coming back from injury.
As a Saints fan, I feel like it bodes well for us that he isn't playing because he can be a match-winner but I also haven't followed the Demons too closely over the past 2-3 weeks so no idea what his form has been like.

Acres can drift forward if necessary. He can kick goals.

Acres isn't really the type to kick a lot of goals from general play, what he's good at is nailing lots of his set shots, unlike many of his teammates. Very handy. I think he plays best as just a typical rover though, i really don't understand why they keep playing him on the wing and at half forward. I think Gilbert should come in to play his usual utility role but more forward in Riewoldt's absence

Acres isn't really the type to kick a lot of goals from general play, what he's good at is nailing lots of his set shots, unlike many of his teammates. Very handy. I think he plays best as just a typical rover though, i really don't understand why they keep playing him on the wing and at half forward. I think Gilbert should come in to play his usual utility role but more forward in Riewoldt's absence

No reason he can't rest forward occasionally, especially if Gilbert is rucking.
He can take a contested mark and, as you mentioned, his set shot kicking is very good. I was just suggesting it as a tactic to use at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back