Review R22: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Footscray

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem isn't that we had one bad run. It's that we haven't had any 'good' run.
Consistency comes with experience ....both in games & maturity

From yesterday's game:

Worrell - 28 games
Nankervis - 22 games
Keane - 30 games
Michalanney - 43 games
Bond - 5 games
Taylor - 7 games
Curtin - 5 games

That's 30% of our squad yesterday, who are still learning more mentally, how to concentrate for an entire game

Curtin got caught out ball watching twice ....that won't happen with more experience ....but youth still cost you games

Consistency comes with experience ....both in games & maturity

From yesterday's game:

Worrell - 28 games
Nankervis - 22 games
Keane - 30 games
Michalanney - 43 games
Bond - 5 games
Taylor - 7 games
Curtin - 5 games

That's 30% of our squad yesterday, who are still learning more mentally, how to concentrate for an entire game

Curtin got caught out ball watching twice ....that won't happen with more experience ....but youth still cost you games
Worrell not having more AFL experience is on us. We refused to play him.

Nank also to a lesser extent.

No, they're playing terrific footy .....pity Mitchell will be sacked, given all rebuild Coaches don't last ;)

I personally never said that - so can't speak to it. Whats crazy to me is how Mitchell has turned around the Hawks in 2 years and has a better winning record than Mathew Nicks.

Didn't you have us finishing 5th and making the finals in 2024 in the ladder predicting thread? Just curious as to why if we were so young?

Worrell not having more AFL experience is on us. We refused to play him.

Nank also to a lesser extent.
Worrell has repeatedly said in interviews, he wasn't ready for the AFL requirements

The hamstring early season last year, and arm this year, have held Worrell back ....not the Coaches

I personally never said that - so can't speak to it. Whats crazy to me is how Mitchell has turned around the Hawks in 2 years and has a better winning record than Mathew Nicks.

Didn't you have us finishing 5th and making the finals in 2024 in the ladder predicting thread? Just curious as to why if we were so young?
I had us making finals, yes ......if you drag up my posts, it was always premised on having a normal injury run with this youth

I have always believed we have a good list ...each year, additional talent will be layered over this list

Also in a couple of years, injuries won't impact us as much .....but it's always who gets injured

Milera, as that running back with elite skills and ability to break lines ....was IMO our biggest loss
Nankervis, can do it in the future, and Smith played like his age suggests .....so we really missed that bounce off HB

Every Club has made that a priority ....Nick Martin at ESS ....Zorko from Mid to HB for BRIS

The gameplan early was premised on no Murray, and Keane was an unknown entity, who has surprised everyone

I had us making finals, yes ......if you drag up my posts, it was always premised on having a normal injury run with this youth

We've had a normal injury run. All sides have missed best 22 players here and there.

Hawthorn for example have missed Sicily, Day and Lewis for chunks of the season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've had a normal injury run. All sides have missed best 22 players here and there.

Hawthorn for example have missed Sicily, Day and Lewis for chunks of the season
I think if you do your homework .....this coincided with all the negativity on HAW performances

HAW picked up as soon as Day returned ....which gave Newcombe a shot in the arm, given his early season form was worse than terrible

Dear has replaced Lewis admirably ....but Lewis is injury prone anyway

Yeah should've dropped Doedee
He played the back half of ‘22 clearly injury and was only rested for the last 3 games. It was obvious at the time keeping a hampered Doedee playing was pointless long term, especially with Worrell tearing up the SANFL. A clear example of what not to do early in a rebuild.

Last edited:
I think if you do your homework .....this coincided with all the negativity on HAW performances

HAW picked up as soon as Day returned ....which gave Newcombe a shot in the arm, given his early season form was worse than terrible

Dear has replaced Lewis admirably ....but Lewis is injury prone anyway
Mitchell has also made and admitted to mistakes and then adjusted for it.
Compare that to our player blaming coach.

Mitchell has also made and admitted to mistakes and then adjusted for it.
Compare that to our player blaming coach.
Move on ....it's boring

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R22: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Footscray

Remove this Banner Ad

Back