Review R23: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Could literally see him sprinting to get into the melee. The first boys over there were RT, Soligo and JW.
While it was being reviewed on CH7 News last night, they briefly showed Berry putting his shoulder into the chest of Houston who dropped like a hot potato, the tool.
Kudos, Berry!

While it was being reviewed on CH7 News last night, they briefly showed Berry putting his shoulder into the chest of Houston who dropped like a hot potato, the tool.
Kudos, Berry!
That’s the most pathetic thing about Port, their players all drop like sacks of shit as soon as any body contact comes their way and cry to the umpires. Frustrating thing is the umpires fall for it 90% of the time

Kudos, Berry!

Yeah fair play to Berry, Houston what a total flog. Didn't Crouch or someone get suspended for tackling him a few showdowns ago as well, pretended he was knocked out for a couple seconds.

This one...

Kudos, Berry!
Think this was at 3/4 time. Great timing from Berry after we'd given away a few soft free kicks. He bided his time and made sure it didn't impact the team

There's a real tit-for-tat Showdown incident recollection. Both clubs guilty.

There was the Bickley elbow... Burgoyne KO'ing Bassett

Thomas KO'ing Bassett again

The Wakelin broken jaw... Brogan on Jericho

Pickett taking out Biglands... Pickett taking out Begley... Montgomery on Burton - "got me a beauty"

Don't forget the Crows' captain in 2002 with a vicious elbow

Thomas tackle on Hentschel... now Houston on Rankine

50/50 really
Brogan on Bernie Vince too wasn't it

I take it you mean the 2017 GF? (If not, apologies and please disregard the following)

The Crows lost the 2017GF for several reasons, but here are the main ones:
--- mentally, they 'played' their GF the week before when they monstered Geelong (who had been a bogey side for years) at AO in the PF. Great match.
--- they went into the GF with Smithers (who was a gun back then) injured and both Betts and Sloane were underdone due to recent appendix ops. McGovern was shitty at not being selected (a call on an injury), from memory.
--- internally, the Crows were disunited because Lever had made it clear he wanted out and McGovern had also chucked a wobbly re: his contract.
--- on the back of all that, I think they went into the GF mentally underdone. You referred to 'attittude' --- the 2017 Crows had an air of "We've got this", but that was only my impression. They'd thrashed Richmond (21.14 to 10.4) by 76 points at AO in Round 5, but Richmond at the G months later was a different proposition. Richmond were flying, the crowd/ the media/ the Commentators/ the Umpires were all pro-Richmond.
--- on the Umpires, it was the worst game of biased Umpiring I have ever seen.
And, in a GF. Criminal.
The most obvious frees to Crows were called play-on; the ticky-touchwood frees were given to Richmond.
Watch this, which confirms what I just said, especially 3.19/ 6.02. When Betts was held in the goalsquare (a free kick would have brought the Crows back within 4 points + momentum) I knew then they'd never let us win:

Those are the main reasons imo, but their attitude back then has nothing to do with their attitude on Saturday night (nearly 7 years later).

P.S. :shoutyoldman::shoutyoldman: rant provoked and enabled by insomnia, lol@me.

Congratulations, this is now the 100th time you have posted this stupid Youtube video.

Mods does he get a badge for this now?

Think this was at 3/4 time. Great timing from Berry after we'd given away a few soft free kicks. He bided his time and made sure it didn't impact the team

Yep - sure was. Houston who was supposedly "super worried" about what he did to Rankine still somehow managed to attempt to milk a free at 3 qtr time in front of the umpire.

Weirdly enough it was the only time in the game the umpires showed the ability to not get sucked in by Ports diving antics...

Yep - sure was. Houston who was supposedly "super worried" about what he did to Rankine still somehow managed to attempt to milk a free at 3 qtr time in front of the umpire.

Weirdly enough it was the only time in the game the umpires showed the ability to not get sucked in by Ports diving antics...
As far as I understand the rules you can't award a free kick after the siren has gone, so don't give the umpires any credit for it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not arguing on your sentiments. More the definition of “intentional” and why everyone’s scratching their heads on the penalties with pretty much every case. I’m not arguing Houston doesn’t deserve weeks, this is a definite given.

Essentially, “intentional” is an arbitrary word. There is not an absolute black and white meaning behind it and the tribunal judges it in an obvious subjective and likely bias manner.
“Intentional” is no more or less arbitrary than any other word. It requires a state of mind to be established.

The confusion appears to be around the intention to injure vs the intention to commit the act that causes the injury. The AFL tribunal is on record that it’s the act, not the injury that they use in determining intent.

The tribunal accepted that Rankine did not intend to make contact with Starcevic’s head, but he did intend to bump, and it caused injury. So that incident was graded intentional.

This does appear inconsistent with the Houston incident, where it can only be assumed that Michael Christian has assessed that Houston did not intend to bump or “shirtfront” Rankine.

Now just an opinion, but I suspect that the incident was downgraded because the umpires didn’t pay a free to the Crows. There’s already a valid question about the lack of a free kick being paid. The AFL may be looking to protect the umpires from scrutiny in this one.

“Intentional” is no more or less arbitrary than any other word. It requires a state of mind to be established.

The confusion appears to be around the intention to injure vs the intention to commit the act that causes the injury. The AFL tribunal is on record that it’s the act, not the injury that they use in determining intent.

The tribunal accepted that Rankine did not intend to make contact with Starcevic’s head, but he did intend to bump, and it caused injury. So that incident was graded intentional.

This does appear inconsistent with the Houston incident, where it can only be assumed that Michael Christian has assessed that Houston did not intend to bump or “shirtfront” Rankine.

Now just an opinion, but I suspect that the incident was downgraded because the umpires didn’t pay a free to the Crows. There’s already a valid question about the lack of a free kick being paid. The AFL may be looking to protect the umpires from scrutiny in this one.
How are we still going on about this?

It's not about intent to do the act. It's intent to commit the offence. So the MRO/tribunal interpreation is:

Rankine was an off-the-ball bump to an unsuspecting player that the MRO said would have been rough conduct regardless of the outcome (e.g the act Rankine intended to commit was illegal) - it was unreasonable. So the act he intended to commit was an offence - intentional.

Houston intended to bump someone who had the ball, that if he didn't hit him high/illegally would have been fine - it was reasonable. But his otherwise legal act was done in a way that caused injury (violated his duty of care to the other player) - so, careless.

You can disagree with those MRO/tribunal decisions but they're not inconsistent.

Yea, Laird can get ****ed. You can talk to Rachele in private, that's fine, but publicly throwing him under the bus is BS.

Didn't Rachelle do that himself .....all the media have focussed on the idiocy of the action

Laird didn't expose a secret

Didn't Rachelle do that himself .....all the media have focussed on the idiocy of the action

Laird didn't expose a secret

Many in the media loved it. Some didn't. That's fine, opinions are opinions.

By Laird coming out and saying that, the story shifts from whether individual commentators liked it, to being able to say the club and his teammates didn't like it.

Damned if you do ....Damned if you don't

Play the Rookies and lose ....don't play rookies and win ....that's the dilemma at this time of the year
Rookies inevitably cost games .....they find it hard to concentrate a full game on defensive positioning .....and get tired

Rookies haven't had the number of PS's to be as fit as mature teams ......they're learning & developing skills such as positioning

Bravo for continuing to play Curtin in the MID's .....and throwing Taylor in the midfield at a tight time of the game ......it was a case of getting experience, versus outcome

1. Crouch (yes I'm a huge critic) .....last 2 weeks has been a kick it fwd player, and he looks so much better than the handballing crab, he's been for most of the year

2. Curtin, the improvement in the use of his body in contests, has been very noticeable

3. Dawson .... I've been busy, so have missed the rants from George Kramer for Dawson spending long periods at HB .....he adds so much back their, when you're losing clearances, and having to launch attacks off HB

4. Bond looks very mature for his level of experience .....is calm under pressure, and holds hs feet ....both excellent signs

5. Happy to trade Berry .....any player who two grabs the ball as often as him, simply cannot be an AFL midfielder .....it was close to 60% of every ball he tried to take .....he either got wrapped up on the 2nd grab, or the attacking movement was stiffled because he couldn't display clean hands

6. Talking of one grab ....we've seen the last of Gollant
More time, less pressure in the SANFL ....his inability to clunk marks one grab, doesn't stick out .....but every time he gets an AFL game, his hands are cement

He also charges at every contest ....so if he runs himself out of the contest too often ......goodbye

Thilthorpe and Fogarty :whitecheck:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R23: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back