Ratten To Be Sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints fans perennially overrate their list (which is often held together with reject players and duct tape) and it is fitting that the mantra extends to the decision makers as well.
Dude you support Essendon, you've had 3 worse decisions in the last month. As to perennially overrating lists; glass houses mate, glass houses.

You tell me! Your club has 2 numpties at the top who are obviously incompetent in their jobs, and cant take ownership of their own poor leadership and poor decision making, yet the kicker is they have the balls to say they "need a new voice and a new direction" Ha! as long as they're still there making poor decisions, the saints will continue to be "irrelevant"

Zero flags. Say it with me, zzzzeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrro! :)

Mmmm we both know what it's like to follow irrelevent clubs!

Edit - Oh and if that's not bad enough, just the one grand final!

Dude you support Essendon, you've had 3 worse decisions in the last month. As to perennially overrating lists; glass houses mate, glass houses.

Our rating is that we shouldn't be in the bottom four, your rating is that you guys should be winning the flag when you were never near it. It's time for your supporter base to stop expecting top four every year and start digging into the idea of actually building a list capable of such flag expectations. That is the only way a coach like yours will feel "confident" a few months after an extension (news flash, we didn't extend ours). Your response is exactly the kind of entitled attitude Saints fans have held for so long, always deflecting criticism when it comes your way. Get your hand off it.

Zero flags. Say it with me, zzzzeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrro! :)

Mmmm we both know what it's like to follow irrelevent clubs!

Edit - Oh and if that's not bad enough, just the one grand final!

One flag in 125 years is hardly worth getting all gobby about !!

St Kilda gonna St Kilda.

Tough for Ratten but then again if you have been senior coach twice and haven't been fully supported, maybe it is you not them.
Or just unlucky (or foolish) enough to find yourself at 2 absolute schmozzles of organisations.

Saints fans perennially overrate their list (which is often held together with reject players/duct tape) and it is fitting that the mantra extends to the decision makers as well.

Yeah buddy, two decades without a finals win and that includes cheating to try to get ahead. You say we overrate our list but we do beat top four sides and are around the mark for a top eight side. Please tell me how you view Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't help but feel for Ratten – their list really doesn't have the talent to exceed the rungs of mid-table mediocrity. If you realistically break it down:

A-graders: Steele, Sinclair
Potential A-graders: King, Marshall
B+-graders: Crouch, Gresham, Wilkie
B-graders: Ross, Hill, Howard, Higgins, Battle, Membrey, Billings
C+-graders: Butler, Clark, Coffield, Jones, McKenzie
C-graders and below: Everyone else
Young guns: Windhager, Wanganeen-Milera, Owens

I'm trying not to be too harsh with my assessment of the players above, but the list simply doesn't have the talent to compete, and I don't think the young guys coming through will take them to contender-level, as there's just not enough high quality talent coming through.

It's an indictment on their list strategy over the last few years – they tried to rush their rebuild by overpaying drastically for players who were never going to be anything more than B-graders, and they doomed themselves for fighting for the bottom-half of the eight at best.

It's a list management issue at St Kilda, not a coaching one. Thankfully, they seemed to give up on their strategy of past offseasons during this year's trade period, but I still would've liked to see them make a proper effort to cull some of the ageing players so that they could bottom out and rebuild properly.

That all being said, I don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Maybe bottoming-out just isn't financially viable for them, and they're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Billings over Bont, McCartin over Petracca & Coffield over Naughton destroyed their rebuild really. You just can't afford to waste that many Top 10 picks.

Given they are struggling to attract elite big fish targets, they will need to start another rebuild, nail some early draft picks this time and go again.

Billings over Bont, McCartin over Petracca & Coffield over Naughton destroyed their rebuild really. You just can't afford to waste that many Top 10 picks.

Given they are struggling to attract elite big fish targets, they will need to start another rebuild, nail some early draft picks this time and go again.

You missed Ben Mcevoy over Dangerfield and Allison over Odriscoll and trading away our first for Hill over Serong. There is more if i look/think harder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ratten To Be Sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Back