Ratten To Be Sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Love that the review of the football department was conducted by the CEO who had just been promoted from the head of the football department, the president, a board member, and a recently sacked coach. What did Kennett say again?

The same clubs keep making the same mistakes and continue to be irrelevant to the competition as a whole.

Just another club destined to forever be a Melbourne based also ran in a crowded marketplace that peak into the lower rungs of the eight before falling back again once they get handed a tougher draw the following year.

Home of the List Clogger was the Fox headline when discussing their trade period and now they sack the coach. Lethlean re-signed him three months ago, no pressure there? Footy Dept will be a bit light on for funds in 2023 having to pay out Ratten.

Now off for the sugar hit of a new coach - woohoo!

Zero flags. Say it with me, zzzzeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrro! :)

Mmmm we both know what it's like to follow irrelevent clubs!

Edit - Oh and if that's not bad enough, just the one grand final!
To be fair, they've got until the 2060s before you can definitely claim to have outperformed them.

To be fair when they re-signed him we were 8-3 it's only a mistake in hindsight as any other club would have done the same at that point.
Well yes some clubs would have. Dumb clubs like mine,.We did exactly the same thing with Knights. But there is absolutely no need to extend a coaches contract mid season unless you have reasonable grounds to think he might otherwise walk. In neither ours or St kilda's situation was that the case. Why not wait until the season is over , unless your playing finals, in which case your not going to sack the guy in the off season

Carlton supporters ripping into Ratten need to start showing some respect for the last coach who managed to get them into finals, and bloody win one no less. A minor miracle all things considered. Makes you think maybe he’s ok?

I’m not saying he’s Simon Goodwin but geez, got the Saints to win a final too. That’s pretty bloody good, look at that list.

Last edited:
Not sure this was the right call. Ratten had the Saints playing some pretty good footy especially in 2020 and early 2022. I don’t think their list is as good as they think it is and Ratten got the best out them.

So why was he sacked??

What was the answer he gave that got him sacked??

If its about a winning culture why should Ratten and any other prospective coach go there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can anyone take Lethlean seriously after he left the AFL in disgrace for his indiscretions there.

St Kilda would unfortunately have to be up there with one of the worst sporting organisations in the entire world.
He had a consensual relationship with someone while he was married. I don't care about the marriage status of anyone outside of myself, so why should anyone care about that?

How can anyone take Lethlean seriously after he left the AFL in disgrace for his indiscretions there.

St Kilda would unfortunately have to be up there with one of the worst sporting organisations in the entire world.

Don’t stop there, I reckon the entire multi-universe !!!!

Including that one where Gold Coast traded Thanos to Collingwood for Aquaman. I mean he is good in the wet, but he is no Thanos.

Always thought it was odd a guy who literally just got sacked from coaching, is part of the review on another teams coach. Who does this? You were so bad at your job you got the sack, but hey, do you mind advising us how our coaches are?
Extraordinary.
You're right. But it's St Kilda so not necessarily extraordinary. Just more of the same.

First game of the season should be Saints v North and whoever loses moves to become the new Tassie team. Solve a lot of problems for the comp. :moustache:

(and the winner merges with GC)
First Half GIF

Carlton supporters ripping into Ratten need to start showing some respect for the last coach who managed to get them into finals, and bloody win one no less. A minor miracle all things considered. Makes you think maybe he’s ok?

I’m not saying he’s Simon Goodwin but geez, got the Saints to win a final too. That’s pretty bloody good, look at that list.
I'm all for respecting Ratts, but what does Malthouse have to do with anything?

Billings over Bont, McCartin over Petracca & Coffield over Naughton destroyed their rebuild really. You just can't afford to waste that many Top 10 picks.

Given they are struggling to attract elite big fish targets, they will need to start another rebuild, nail some early draft picks this time and go again.
Now that I look back at our drafting, it’s easier to say we made some poor choices. However, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Your mob can attest to this, Fiora over Pav, Tambling over Franklin…I’m sure there has been more. It seems like this year is going to be the same, where you have GWS chasing Cadman - eerily similar to the Saints taking McCartin with him being a key position player.

Brett Ratten has been ruthlessly sacked as coach twice and been made a scapegoat on both occasions. First at Carlton which was ironically almost exactly 10 years ago and now at St Kilda.

His results at both clubs were average without being spectacular, but there's been many coaches who have performed at the same level or worse yet been allowed far more slack.

Examples such as:

Hardwick in his first seven years.
Buckley between 2014 and 2017.
Dew during his whole coaching tenure to date.
Alan Richardson throughout his entire tenure.
Brad Scott during most of his tenure at North.
Hinkley between 2015 and 2019.

That's just off the top of my head but I'm sure there's more.

In my opinion, Brett Ratten is the unluckiest/most hard done by coach in recent times, especially given the fact he's been unfairly shafted not once, but twice.

Would you agree?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ratten To Be Sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Back