Game Day RD 16 Geelong v Essendon Sat Jun 29 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should have been a twilight match at worse

When it used to be held earlier in the day, they had a raft of activities, and maybe the weather's played a part in things today, but it seems a token idea for a match more than anything else

Yeah, at the very least have it at a ground that country people can actually get to in good time.
We're not exactly country, but Western District people could have been considered.
When was the last time bloody Essendone played GMHBA? Like never, in my memory.

Too much AFL jingoism, cheapens it when they think they can label the game without thought- just get a few PR shots of players supporting their old clubs. BS..

Yeah, at the very least have it at a ground that country people can actually get to in good time.
We're not exactly country, but Western District people could have been considered.
When was the last time bloody Essendone played GMHBA? Like never, in my memory.

Too much AFL jingoism, cheapens it when they think they can label the game without thought- just get a few PR shots of players supporting their old clubs. BS..

Last year

1719626022820.png

As long as you call it transition and not God forbid, rebuilding.
You know, the thing we haven't done in 14 years?
There's a lot on the table to lose tonight.

Looking forward to a bit of MCG mongrel in Rohan, and if Neale doesn't take his chances by flying IN FRONT, you'll hear me scream from here. Given the way we bomb it in, probably can't see that changing.
Should i be listening for a guttural growl or a high pitched screetch? Or does that depend?

😳

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game Day feelings have started to be strange!

Swans I genuinely thought we could cause an upset with them coming off the bye and “due for a loss”. At qtr time my feelings looked prophetic…

Against the Blues I thought we would lose by 10 goals. Could not see how we could get close when you lined up the teams. Unfortunately that was prophetic!

Today I honestly have ZERO idea! I can’t bring myself to rate Essendon - but they are third on the ladder! And I can’t stop the feeling that we are just not that good - but then I just think that Danger, Stewart and Jezza are all due to rip a game apart and believe they still can.

In any event I am excited about the game given the changes. We have stoped talking about the transition and are definitely doing it. We have 7 players named who did NOT play in our premiership less than 2 years ago (with 2 more players injured who would be in our team)…that is transition in action.

In terms of the game, I don’t know what the weather does? I have a feeling we will decide to use strong bodies in the midfield today (Danger, Stewart and Blitz) and inject youth speed out of our backline (Homes, Humphries) and on the wing (Knevitt, Dempsey). Lets give Atkins a tagging role on Merritt and stop their run?

Not a great Day for Scratcher but just want to see him compete hard alongside Rohan. Same with Sam. Compete and build confidence.

Dempsey and Mitch on the wings (and 2E I suppose?) - rain might dull their aerial strengths but hopefully they both use their running capacity. Would like to see Mitch rotate through MF too.

And need our small forwards doing the work. Some sloppy goals!

There could be 4th spot up for grabs with a decent win - and 12th spot if lose by a bit!! I honestly don’t know how good either team is so it is really hard.

Both teams have only won 1 game against teams in the 8! That is actually quite amazing in round 15 given both teams are in the 8!! So whilst I feel a bit despondent about our record…I am buoyed by Essendon’s

This is going to be a long day waiting for kick off!

Alexis It's Like We're Sharing a Brain.gif

I'm really struggling to assess Essendon too, CHAWKTS.

After a quick comparison, we've beaten teams by a larger margin than Essendon. They've defeated teams we lost too. Off to the ladder I went :pawprints::pawprints::pawprints:

Essendon
PlayedPoints%WLD

Geelong
PlayedPoints%WLD
Difference:
GWS - Essendon won + Geelong lost;
Essendon -v- Collingwood - Draw
There are the six points

Join your excitement to see transition, with seven non-Premiership players, Knevitt* deservedly returning, Humphries* acknowledged for VFL form. Cuthrie hopefully returning at some stage. Do you mean Hawkins is the second, who would be in the team if not injured?

Happy for SDK to ruck for the final games, however, very disappointed Conway isn't in the team, despite playing VFL. Scott + MC have their reasons 🤷🏻‍♀️ 🤷🏻‍♀️ 🤷🏻‍♀️

As suggested by bulletproof in the preview thread, Stewart plays on Stringer to minimise possession. Stewart to win 1:1 contests, follow Stringer into MF, no tagger role but superglued to Stringer.

Hoping our Swarm - small forwards - shift into gear + create goals, lots + lots of goals.

MF - need a litany of Hail Marys 🙏:rose:📿📿📿📿📿:rose:🙏

*Knevitt + Humphries - if either is sub, I swear you'll all hear my head exploding from up here! 🤯 🤯 🤯

I know Essendon are 3rd on the ladder, but their percentage is the 10th best. They’re a middle of the pack team, just like us.

We’re a good shot at winning this.
Essendon 102.7%
Geelong 102.9%
Does that make us 9th best?

Join your excitement to see transition, with seven non-Premiership players, Knevitt* deservedly returning, Humphries* acknowledged for VFL form. Cuthrie hopefully returning at some stage. Do you mean Hawkins is the second, who would be in the team if not injured?
I actually forgot about Guthrie. The two I meant are part of the transition who would be in the team. O Henry and bruhan

Alexis It's Like We're Sharing a Brain.gif's Like We're Sharing a Brain.gif
So I am not sure whether you were calling me a half wit or saying I was extraordinary smart 😬

Yes

But we're also currently 8th on the ladder and not 3rd...
Yes, very true, still, my reply accepts Essendon is 3rd.

Nevertheless, the inference I took from:
I know Essendon are 3rd on the ladder, but their percentage is the 10th best. They’re a middle of the pack team, just like us.

We’re a good shot at winning this.
Meaning, we're 0.2% better - take it as a teensy weensy, smidgeon of implied hope ;)

Cats are considered a good wet weather team.
Reputation based on better skill and bigger bodies.
Showcased by dominating Lions in the wet at GABA
Today's team includes seven non premiership players.
These are young inexperienced and small bodied kids.
Last week the Blues brushed aside the smaller Cats
Week before Cats started well then got pushed aside.
Hence giving mediocre Bombers a confidence boost.
Wet weather footy evens out the skill differential.
Recent indicators suggest cats will struggle tonight.
Don't be surprised if are determined on redemption.
Size matters, but good performance delivers satisfaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back