Autopsy Rd 18 Blues go down fighting in Simmo's farewell game

Who gave their all in Simmo's farewell game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What did McG do that was so ordinary? He played defence for the first 3 quarters and locked down/intercepted? His first quarter in particular was great. The fact people are potting McG without mentioning Polson’s 4 direct clangers which resulted in Brisbane scores is mind-boggling to me.

I didn’t mention Gov by name and I haven’t been sticking the boots into him like some...

However Gov is a shadow of the player he was at the crows. His output is by far the worst of any big money recruit we have attracted.

I don’t see intensity, I don’t see team sacrifice. Yes he has a decent leap and good grab. Lovely kick for goal and decent field kick but the man has no tank. Absolutely no fitness base. He can’t play forward in his physical condition and he doesn’t have a long term spot in defence come 2021.

I’m really concerned and I think this will make or break Teague as a coach. He needs to get ruthless and he needs to start with his “favourites” in Gov and Betts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying they didn't make bad decisions that cost us goals. I'm saying that anyone genuinely arguing that we lost the game because of them, that we would have actually come away with the 4 points without those singular decisions, is just absolutely kidding themselves.

Well said. It just shows a lack of football nouse and maturity to keep bleating on about them. Yes umpires make mistakes, we all do. However, if we were good enough we would have won.

Well said. It just shows a lack of football nouse and maturity to keep bleating on about them. Yes umpires make mistakes, we all do. However, if we were good enough we would have won.

Spot on. Losing teams just whinge about umpiring. Winning teams don't because they're too busy **** winning. It seems our supporters after 20 years of this crap have taken on this mentality.

Some umpiring decisions will go against you - some will be in the opposition forward 50. A good chance to avoid this is to not allow an entire bloody quarter to be played deep in the opposition's forward 50.

Last edited:
I just want to highlight Sam Walsh again! He’s that good people don’t even talk about him. What a gun! we’ll be in most games by virtue of the fact he’s playing in them. He’s making that happen now in his second year... we are in games because he’s busting his nut and driving us forward.

He Told Simmo he’d put in for him in his little speech during the week and then goes and gets the most touches on the ground and runs himself ragged. How good was the hit up to McKay. Just a jet.

Simmo love ya still contributing to the very end. Heart and soul and will miss seeing him more than any other player in recent memory.

Yeah .. my last posts still stand. Not sure you were watching the same match if you honestly think we would have won without those decisions. The quality difference between the two teams was there for all to see tonight - especially when the game was actually up for grabs in the second quarter. Was the Lions holding it in their forward 50 for the whole second quarter the umpires as well?

Once they got a lead they held us at arms length.

Some people here need to seriously take off the Navy Blues glasses for just a second.

In that whole 2nd quarter that they dominated they were only able to kick 2 legitimate goals.
They were only able to kick 7 legitimate goals for the whole game, despite the 'quality difference'. And one of them was a high tackle against Eddie.

Take out the dodgey ones, who's to say that they would be keeping us at arm's length?

In that whole 2nd quarter that they dominated they were only able to kick 2 legitimate goals.
They were only able to kick 7 legitimate goals for the whole game, despite the 'quality difference'. And one of them was a high tackle against Eddie.

Take out the dodgey ones, who's to say that they would be keeping us at arm's length?

Who's to say they wouldn't have? We're both dealing in hypothetical's now. Ultimately this is pointless because we disagree on what would have happened in an alternate reality where the umpiring wasn't shit (which I agree it was.) We'll never actually know. I respect you as a poster so let's agree to disagree in this case I think.

Rayner's one on three quater time was a howler

Spot on. Losers just whinge about umpiring. Winners don't because they're too busy **** winning. It seems our supporters after 20 years of this crap have taken on this mentality.

Some umpiring decisions will go against you - some will be in the opposition forward 50. A good chance to avoid this is to not allow an entire bloody quarter to be played deep in the opposition's forward 50.
think you are right about what has become of this batch of supporters - or perhaps supporters following this period of the club - the victim mentality is insufferably rampant among them and worryingly it will infect future generations.......we have basically become footscray/melbourne/stkilda supporters....

I’m not going to win any Brownie points for this but the sides celebration of Simpson’s goal whilst heartwarming is also a symptom of why we have a bog ordinary near enough is good enough culture at our club.

The goal was great and team lifting but the get around him celebration was like yeah that’s it, if we don’t win at least we can celebrate Simo’s goal.

It should have been the catalyst for an all in no holds barred supreme effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think i've seen it mentioned yet, but

10 Goals 1 Behind. For 61 points.

Good goal kicking.......Carlton.......really.....is the tide turning or was it a fluke. Good goalkicking is about good clear thinking, which comes from feeling more accustomed.

A positive....maybe.

We did a much better job of forward 50 entries today, I thought (except when why were awful, which sounds weird - but they were basically great or awful overall).

A lot more spotting up players in space, particularly in dangerous spots, and closer to goal. Not hitting up guys 45+ out who have to bomb away, or firing away with snaps from the boundary under pressure.

Partly I think that was helped by Brisbane having Andrews out, partly it was our strategy which involved pulling numbers behind the ball and trying to run into space more - hence the inside 50 disparity (which didn’t really matter, except when we had horrific turnovers). It was a very Adelaide-style game plan imo (from their grand final year) albeit with worse foot skills and less Josh Jenkins kicking goals from a meter out

Wonder what’s going on with Casboult. Looked completely disinterested and has for the last few weeks. Wonder if he has been told we’d be shopping him around or something.
Thought Gibbons was pretty ordinary tonight as well
Levi goes missing in games where he is not the #2 ruckman. Don’t know why, but staying at home as a forward doesn’t get him involved enough.

Levi goes missing in games where he is not the #2 ruckman. Don’t know why, but staying at home as a forward doesn’t get him involved enough.
Especially with appalling delivery. Really hope we work on forward entries over the preseason. Killing ourselves

Polson’s go without saying.
Dude, what are you blokes talking about?
He made one error for the game that I noticed. Have a go at Weitering then.
The Daniel Rich free kick was nonsense.
He made every pass bar one from what I saw, and he made good position a few times I noticed but his teammates didn't use him.
I think he is the small defender we need, comparable to Saad. The grass isn't always greener. He's getting more confident and trustworthy every game. Just keep using him and let him develop - you know, that thing we never do with our young players.

Ok soft cap makes sense our snaps are 1000% better from last year I think that the angles and grip have been taught and I give credit to the master so he can stay but ime confident in saying Eddie won’t influence any games next year against a top 8 side

Look at the positives guys - we finished above *

I’m over rejoicing and getting my football kicks out of *’s shytness, about time I got some joy out of this mob I’ve supported for 50 + years, and want to share some premiership joy with my kids that haven’t seen a flag (95 they weren’t old enough to remember).

Yeah .. my last posts still stand. Not sure you were watching the same match if you honestly think we would have won without those decisions. The quality difference between the two teams was there for all to see tonight - especially when the game was actually up for grabs in the second quarter. Was the Lions holding it in their forward 50 for the whole second quarter the umpires as well?

Some people here need to seriously take off the Navy Blues glasses for just a second.
But you choose to ignore my other post that makes the obvious point that if the blatant free kicks not paid against the Lions were paid, (hence the frustration with inconsistency), the ball would not have spent the same continuous time in their F50.

Maybe they would have scored from rebound, maybe the game would have resulted in an even bigger win for the Brions, but to argue that the at least 5 howlers that directly cost goals, did not contribute to the win, is, frankly, incredible.

There are other intangibles such as confidence, momentum, hesitation, which are directly influenced by poor umpiring. How these players (of all teams) can play a passage and then look with query and incredulity at the decision which changes from contest to contest, on a whim, on a 'rule of the week' basis is beyond me. Once the flow of umpiring starts to go to one team, the other is powerless to do anything to arrest the momentum. It usually changes with a 1/4 or 1/2 time break. After the break, different rules.

Levi hasnt fired a shot for weeks. Has had a number of issues with the family with the hub. We all know bout the kids going to theme park but his family hust hasnt settled in there..his mrs is totally over it and has wanted to leave fir weeks.

Dude, what are you blokes talking about?
He made one error for the game that I noticed. Have a go at Weitering then.
The Daniel Rich free kick was nonsense.
He made every pass bar one from what I saw, and he made good position a few times I noticed but his teammates didn't use him.
I think he is the small defender we need, comparable to Saad. The grass isn't always greener. He's getting more confident and trustworthy every game. Just keep using him and let him develop - you know, that thing we never do with our young players.

His first three kicks went to Brisbane players, dudester, and he only had 4 kicks.

So your noticing skills are rusty.

;)

Agreed, but I would say it was Neele, Zorko and Rich that were the difference. Their teammates won the ball and got it to them, and these 3 (plus Cameron) carved us up.
Our mids were beaten convincingly.
Otherwise I think we were better in the other 2/3rds of the ground.
So.
Taking the rose glasses off, how do we get better?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 18 Blues go down fighting in Simmo's farewell game

Back