Autopsy Rd 18 Blues go down fighting in Simmo's farewell game

Who gave their all in Simmo's farewell game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jokes aside what is MCG contract status? I’d give him away for a McDonalds monopoly Big Mac and small fries.

Strangely positive and negative loss. I guess it is a fitting end to the season.

First two quarters we had some of the worst turnovers I’ve seen that cost goals (and points). Guys under zero pressure just miss kicking. But then we had some really good passages of play that put us in front so... it’s a wash I guess?

Second quarter - started terribly and Brisbane got on top. Two goals from horrible turnovers, and they were all over us. Yet for once, we defended really effectively. Brisbane had all the possession but looked highly unlikely to score. Which you have to say is super positive. Except they got gifted 3 goals from shite free kicks, so again, a 5 goal turnaround.

After half time, no Cripps, we really played quite well, yet still gifted them a couple of turnovers at critical moments. In the end, a loss that was about expected going in, that could have been worse if Brisbane kicked straight, and should have been closer if not for our errors and umpiring.

Even individual players - Kennedy played close to his best game and might have sealed his fate with some shocking defensive running and positioning at times. Martin was atrocious in the first half and almost a match winner in the second. Betts was invisible then somehow came to life. Pittonet took turns with Martin to obliterate the other at stoppages - no halving contests for them. Weitering had a shocker, yet held Hipwood to 8 touches and 1 goal. Walsh was back to 2019 - had the ball on a string but blazed away without looking far too often, etc

Plowman, SPS, McKay, Williamson, Jones and Cuningham (9 tackles!) arguably our best imo.

Our bottom 4 were pretty bad -I’ve Polson’s toughness but still seems off the pace, while McGovern, Casboult and De Koning seemed basically there just to be distractions.

Thought he was better tonight.
Clearly not high stats, but competed in the air, laid some tackles and played a role.
I’ll admit he’s an expensive role player, but I liked him as that 3rd tall defender.
Maybe it's the difference between watching on TV to being there, but I don't think I saw McGov on the screen for almost the entire first half. He bobbed up to rush a behind just before the half time break, which was my only proof he was actually playing in the first half.

Did better in the 2nd half, but still...I'm afraid I think the experiment has failed. Time to cut our losses.

Must say Arrow, credit where it’s due: you were right.
We will finish no lower than 12th, so are you said we are NOT a bottom 6 side.

Don't worry mate the toy throwers will still say it was a failed year because we weren't in the 8, despite the lions and saints winning less games in their 5th year

At the end of the Day, lost to a team, who will probably play in the grand final , by three goals. We have Charlie back next year and unveil Kemp. That’s already exciting, without seeing who we pick up via trade or free agency. Bring on a couple of strong midfielders and Williams. Go Blues!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harry's game has hit a new level over the last month (basically since he's started snapping any marks that aren't dead in front). This guy could be dominant, just need to deliver it better. Doubled teamed every week, and still marking anything down his throat. Bring on 2021
We will be very strong when we have the luxury of playing Charlie and Harry. Nightmare matchup for opposition defences.

Any further mention of 3 tall forward line, with any permutation including Mitch McGovern will make me sick. The club seriously needs to look at shipping him to another club, and paying some of his salary to help it happen. He stinks

Thought we lost it at selection anyway, so glad that they at least brought the effort that Simmo deserved. Second quarter was a problem obviously, but Lions got 3/5 goals from dodgy free kicks so the end result should have been a lot closer. Disappointed with the errors from Weitering and Newnes that gave them their other 2 goals that quarter, as they're normally better than that. Kennedy was a bit better, loved to see the passion from him that we've been lacking for a while.

Realistically a better effort from them than the last 4 games, just up against better opposition. Jones and Walsh split for BOG for us.

In our terrible goalless 2nd quarter Brisbane kicked 2 and the umps kicked 3.
We weren't good enough, but those gifted goals (4 of them!) had a huge influence on the outcome of the game.

Haha you just need someone else to blame

Lucky Doc wasn't playing, you would have stated he took a bribe

Newnes 1 possession 2nd half
Betts 0 goals 2 tackles
Casboult 0 marks
McGovern 0 contested marks

There's more but these types of disappearing acts hurt us every week.

Despite also having the most uncontested possessions for us, Walsh practically had more than double the contested possessions of all his teammates.

SOS reckoned he could snap his fingers and put a middle of the road finals team together, but reality is we'll be lucky if we've even done that.

Polson... time to release!
I've given myself every chance to be open to him contributing as a defender. But the fact remains that he is seriously just incapable with ball in hand. Cannot handle the pressure of AFL and his skill execution is among the worst I've ever seen. Footywire says this is the last year of his contract, and if that is true and we are serious as a club, he should find himself delisted in the next few days

Hold your head high Simmo and be proud that you stood up for us. A club that has been in and out of turmoil for 18 years.....Warrior, on field leader and legend.

Kudos to you also Matty Kruz.
Injuries curtailed you in your prime but hopefully you have left an impression on our young ruck stocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've given myself every chance to be open to him contributing as a defender. But the fact remains that he is seriously just incapable with ball in hand. Cannot handle the pressure of AFL and his skill execution is among the worst I've ever seen. Footywire says this is the last year of his contract, and if that is true and we are serious as a club, he should find himself delisted in the next few days
Yeah I thought he might be worth persisting with as a small defender but if the list squeeze is on as reported, he's gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 18 Blues go down fighting in Simmo's farewell game

Back