Game Day Rd 18 Pies V Cats Fri July 12 2024 740 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen calls from Collingwood fans over an extended period for Moore to be dropped, and that some believe the only reason he's holding his spot is that he's captain

I haven't watched a lot of Collingwood games, but he doesn't seem that popular at the moment
Seems like he's a bit of a scapegoat for Collingwood's poor form at the moment

Just cannot get enthused about this game, really flat, not me at all. A bit of disappointment it's Friday night + too difficult for our supporters to get the game.

Returned from bottle shop just now + guy there is a Richmond fan. So the convo goes:
Him: Big game against Collingwood tonight?
Me: Yes.
Him: Geelong keep losing, probably lose tonight.
Me: How's 18thmond going?
Him: We're talking about GEELONG! You lost seven in a row.
Me: We won the last two, lost previous two etc
Him: You won't make the eight, you won't play finals again this year.
Me: OK, still, we have a lot of young players + older players who are improving their form. At least Geelong, is doing well in transition, haven't done a 18thmond or North or Saints. We've covered Geelong, so how is 18thmond going? How much will you lose to GWS by?
Him: I'm happy if we lose by 50 points or less.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Elliott returns, who of all you clever people, do you think will go to him?

Hoping tonight will be a brutal contest with lots of athleticism + agility, like last week. No injuries please 🤞🤞🤞

Dangerfield is still magnificent, (crossing my fingers as I type) hasn't lost his strength, burst + bull tackling 🤞🤞🤞

Jezza (despite four goals) + Stengle have hopefully practised their goal kicking? Otherwise trade Stengle ;)

Loving SDK in ruck + playing through MF to defence. Miers better pull his socks up!

If Geelong wins tonight it will be our 200th win at MCG.

Just cannot get enthused about this game, really flat, not me at all. A bit of disappointment it's Friday night + too difficult for our supporters to get the game.

Returned from bottle shop just now + guy there is a Richmond fan. So the convo goes:
Me: OK, still, we have a lot of young players + older players who are improving their form. At least Geelong, is doing well in transition, haven't done a 18thmond or North or Saints. We've covered Geelong, so how is 18thmond going? How much will you lose to GWS by?

Hoping tonight will be a brutal contest with lots of athleticism + agility, like last week. No injuries please 🤞🤞🤞

Dangerfield is still magnificent, (crossing my fingers as I type) hasn't lost his strength, burst + bull tackling 🤞🤞🤞

Jezza (despite four goals) + Stengle have hopefully practised their goal kicking? Otherwise trade Stengle ;)

Loving SDK in ruck + playing through MF to defence. Miers better pull his socks up!

Every time someone tells me about a conversation they had with A Richmond supporter i instantly think that can't be real then i go wait it is Richmond and yes that could easily be true and most likely is.

is anyone else finding footy ugly to watch this year?? Don’t get me wrong I love the wins… but outside of the hawthorn and essendon games I can hardly find a game I want to replay in full as there are so many large chunks of utter crap football where we get large scores against. Why would I want to sit and watch 40 minutes of us getting goals piled on?? Even the last qtr against Carlton the last 10 minutes was painful.. like watching a boxer hang onto the ropes in the dying minutes blocking punches.

My hope is Moore goes to Neale, as that leaves Frampton on Jezza. Yes please!

If I was Collingwood, I would do the opposite.

Down the other end, for once Kolo and Henry don’t have to deal with 2m forwards. They will have Krueger and Ned Long/McInnes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If Moore went to Jezza, then their backline is screwed. He organises it and intercepts when he’s there. Jez will take him on trip around the ground and Stengle will absolutely dominate in the open space.

Neale will beat Frampton in contests and bring it to ground and our small forwards will feast.

Will have to weather the early inevitable Collingwood storm, after the negative press they've had all week. They'll come out firing, so we have to limit any damage and not get jumped.
Yep, stay within touching distance at QTR time (or preferably be leading) and we'll win.

They'll give us everything for a quarter, don't think they'll have much left afterwards.

If the ball movement is quality and we get it into an open forward line Darcy moore can get lost at sea trying to be in 3 places at the one time.

He is exposed big time by quality movement and sets up with the expectation that the pressure up the field is going to force a high pressure kick inside fifty. If this doesn’t happen, he is lost and easily beaten
This is why they are turning on him. He makes great decisions when there are two options - and he halves or wins them. He relies on his team mates to do their bit if he makes the wrong decision. Unfortunately, he has run out of experienced team mates - so it leaves him trying too hard. And with a team like Geelong where we now have so many deadly unpredictable scoring options (sorry Hawk) - it’s going to be very hard.

Collingwood and Geelong both know that the key is quality of entries - so they know the midfield pressure when defending and execution when attacking is the absolute key.

Lucky for us - we’re a pressure focused midfield. We’ve had to become this as we’ve had our arses kicked by better quality midfields all year.

Atkins, Clark and Blicavs, with our small forwards and Stewart always consider defense first - create the turnover and attack (another of our strengths)…

is anyone else finding footy ugly to watch this year?? Don’t get me wrong I love the wins… but outside of the hawthorn and essendon games I can hardly find a game I want to replay in full as there are so many large chunks of utter crap football where we get large scores against. Why would I want to sit and watch 40 minutes of us getting goals piled on?? Even the last qtr against Carlton the last 10 minutes was painful.. like watching a boxer hang onto the ropes in the dying minutes blocking punches.
A lot of young players, veterans who haven't been contributing, and not having all the pieces leaves us susceptible to large bursts of scoring.

It happens. If we genuinely sucked we could get away with the excuse that we're rebuilding.

Luckily, our club is proud enough to not do so, and still enters every season expecting to contend.

We're not going to be the 2007 Cats every year stylistically. Just the nature of the game. I don't know what you want to see to be honest, we're working with what we've got.

Sounds like he needed to be hit over the head with a bottle.

Hate predicting games like this clash.
Both teams need a win to play finals.
Almost anything could happen.
Will Pies be stung by recent losses?
Will Cats relax after two good wins?
Will Pies struggle - form and injuries?
Will Cats get beat at the stoppages?
Will Pies underestimate Cats Kittens?
Will Cats kittens measure up again?
Will Pies out-flank Cats zone defense?
Will Cats zone stop Pies fast rebounds?
Will Pies small forwards create Havoc?
Will Cats kick straight or squander it?
Will the weather have a big influence?
Will Magpie Army influence umpires?
Don't we all love the anticipation?

cat popcorn 2022.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On balance:

Hate predicting games like this clash - AGREE
Both teams need a win to play finals. - THEM MORE THAN US
Almost anything could happen. - OF COURSE
Will Pies be stung by recent losses? - YES
Will Cats relax after two good wins? - DOUBT IT. OPPOSITE I THINK. HAVE FOUND FORM NOW WILL WANT TO PUT THE FOOT DOWN
Will Pies struggle - form and injuries? - EVENTUALLY IT WILL GET TO THEM
Will Cats get beatEN at the stoppages? - LIKELY
Will Pies underestimate Cats Kittens? - YES
Will Cats kittens measure up again? - YES
Will Pies out-flank Cats zone defense? - SOMETIMES
Will Cats zone stop Pies fast rebounds? - DITTO
Will Pies small forwards create Havoc? - SOMETIMES BUT WILL GET WORN DOWN
Will Cats kick straight or squander it? - WHO KNOWS?
Will the weather have a big influence? - YES
Will Magpie Army influence umpires? - :tearsofjoy:
Don't we all love the anticipation? - SOMETIMES

(love your work btw)

We could win big and set up a huge run home of games coming into finals. Get that mix of pressure and slick ball movement and we are gorgeous to watch.

masterchef junior struggle GIF by HULU

Hate predicting games like this clash.
Both teams need a win to play finals.
Almost anything could happen.
Will Pies be stung by recent losses?
Will Cats relax after two good wins?
Will Pies struggle - form and injuries?
Will Cats get beat at the stoppages?
Will Pies underestimate Cats Kittens?
Will Cats kittens measure up again?
Will Pies out-flank Cats zone defense?
Will Cats zone stop Pies fast rebounds?
Will Pies small forwards create Havoc?
Will Cats kick straight or squander it?
Will the weather have a big influence?
Will Magpie Army influence umpires?
Don't we all love the anticipation?

View attachment 2046001
I think you covered all possibilities except asteroid strike.. :p

Looking at a perfect night for footy and we won't get a better opportunity to knock over the the Pies than right now, it would be devastating if our boys didn't turn up this evening and waste an 8 point game Pressure pressure pressure then more pressure Cats starting at the first bounce non negotiable.

Sounds like he needed to be hit over the head with a bottle.
🤣 🤣 🤣

They were all full + didn't want to waste any alcohol. Although my shopping bag was heavy, should have clocked him with it.

I thought to myself this must be a typo. For a venue we've played at for 120 years this seemed low but alas 199 wins it is.

Some stats. 363 games played. Game 163 was R11 1989. 90 years after game 1. Next 35 years we've played 200 games.

Win 100 was R1 1996 v Melbourne. Which was also game 200 (100-1-99).

Now we're at 199-1-163. Not a bad record since 1996 for an away venue.

Trivia: can anyone guess the draw and what makes it special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back